1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone need Fender (Utah) vintage 10" ceramic speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Michael A., Nov 12, 2020.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

There is a seller in Norfolk VA area on OfferUp selling a set for $125 plus $14 shipping. I don't know how shipping works on OU, so you'll have to find that out on your own. I have no connection, but thought I'd mention since they are cheap and proably hard to find. One speaker does have a patched cone.

Not sure if I can link to a private sale, so you're on your own in finding the listing. The seller doesn't seem to know they are Utah, that isn't mentioned.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Can't imagine he'll get anywhere close to $125 for Utah speakers. Unless he's got a truck load of them and scrap prices pick up.
    I say that and my favorite Twin Reverb speakers are Radio Shack branded Utahs. Really like them but they aren't worth more than scrap metal price.
    Not that Utah made bad speakers, they just don't get the love like old Jensens. His only hope of getting any money out of them is if they have Fender stickers and the date codes line up for someone that wants OEM speakers. I think given the time frame Fender used Utahs that is probably pretty unlikely.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

$125 for a pair is not bad. All depends on repair. Utah were popular in 70s sf. Oxfarts were the 12s.

4. Michael A.

That was a set of 4, sorry I didn't make that clear. I see them on Reverb from $60 each up, but I don't know what they actually sell for. If only worth scrap value, sorry to have posted them.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with vintage Utah's. Nothing wrong with most Oxfords either. The bad name comes from looser voicecoil gaps in the 70s to make them live in them to UL Fender 70/135 watters, MMs, Peavey tube and SS combos and the like. For noodling at home as less efficient speakers they can work well.

I heard one of those Radio Shack orange bell JBL lookalikes. Pretty nice speaker, crisp and clear without undue coloration.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

Set of four, kinda cuts the price in half. :)
    So they must be a set from a Super Reverb or Bassman 10.

That's what my SFTR has. Honestly when I bought it and saw them I said to myself, "it'll need new speakers". Listening to them, changed my mind. What really surprised me was how much I liked them compared to the JBLs in my 65 Twin Reverb.

Actually for a set of four, I should snag these Utahs. Someday I'll get that Super Reverb rebuilt and need four speakers.

7. Michael A.

I'm happy to read these Utahs (Radio Shack) get a lot of love. I scored a pair locally.

IMG_20180326_151259181_HDR.jpg

uriah1 and BobbyZ like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They're not top dollar, ne plus ultra units, but if they were wimmens, you wouldn't kick them outta bed, ya know!;)

9. BobbyZ

If you don't like them, I'd be interested !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.