Anyone name a cheaper vox ac30 clone

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Newbcaster, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I need 3 for a brian may rig and well, I dont wanna pay rapey prices.

I only wish there was a single.channel, all tube 2x12 combo class a with 2 celestions.

Why cant i find that?

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Have you checked Laney Amps?

radiocaster and Flakey like this.
  3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

The Laney VC30 212 used to have HH drivers, but changed to Celestion Seventy 80's. the Laney website states "Custom Celestion 35w drivers", though the picture on their site shows the old style Seventy 80's which are 80w drivers!. It is listed as Class A, and has two channels.

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Over here you can pick up a new AC30C2 for £750 ... I'll guess under $1000?

Unless you're thinking of hand-wired I doubt you'll find an AC30 "tube" clone with x2 Celestions under that ... and over here a good used one can even be had for £500?

btw - Blackstar might be worth a look, they're a bit (actually a lot) "Marshally" but their HT series have an "ISF" knob that can make them sound Voxey or Fendery ... ?

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm not sure if you are going for the look or the sound...here is a 2x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s.

https://harleybenton.com/product/g212-vintage-vertical/

I very nearly pulled the trigger on one before I decided to buy unloaded cabinets for specific speakers to use with my Quilter.

You might look at Blackstar amps...the ISF feature allows for a "British" sound (depending on the ear). I have an HT40 Club valve combo...very powerful and flexible. You could pair a Blackstar valve head with some combination of cabinets. Happy hunting!

Edit: LOL...I see 41144 beat me to Blackstar---I second the vote!

6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean you'll use tre amps at the same time ?

Newbcaster likes this.
  7. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

A Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 2nd hand? Built like tanks, based of the AC30 and matchless DC30, and it came loaded with eminence red fang alnico speakers.

They are super cheap on the 2nd hand market.

beyer160 and bparnell57 like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Why don't you buy a AC30' head and three Vox cabs? They look the same as an AC30' from the front even if you only plug in.one or two You can stack them. That will be bloody loud. Hendrix at Woodstock had 4 Plexi full stacks daisy chained - only one was on, the other three on standby ready to turn on.

radiocaster and Mexitele Blues like this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Not exactly sure what flavor of AC30 you're looking for. Used Vox AC30 Customs are not that expensive in these parts - $600-700 maybe if that. From the tone of your post it sounds like you're looking for a more traditional vintage AC30 clone. If that's the case keep an eye out for a Valvetech Hayseed 30 which is a 60s era AC30 clone. Handmade boutique quality, without the boutique price. They're not super common as Valvetech is no longer in business, but they pop up on used markets with some regularity -- an AC30 is too much amp for most folks these days. If you find a Hayseed look for one that has the EF86 tube option for the normal channel -- adds a a lot of flexibility to that channel.

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I regularly see AC30CC2's for $400-500 used in my area. Hard to get cheaper than that.

cnlbb and naveed211 like this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Crate Palomino may get you in the ballpark. May serve you well to throw some more chimey speakers in there, though, I recall the stock ones sounding more girthy.

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

My thread would be: anyone name a lighter VOX ac30 clone

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Brian Mays AC30 amps have been heavily moded and a lot of the "fluff" circuitry removed.

Newbcaster likes this.
  14. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Are you playing stadiums? I think 3 AC15s would still be more than plenty loud. Speaking of laney and 15w there is the monoprice 15w. 2.5 of them would cost less than an AC15. Not exactly voxy but at least as much as the branded Laneys. Unless you're in a brian may tribute band 3 AC30s is alot of heavy and high maintenance ampage. In fact high maintenance is WHY he has 3 .

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes three AC15s - they're about as big. Or, if you want to leave room for yourself onstage 3 AC10s.

16. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You might find the AC15C2 (is a 2x12, looks identical to AC30) going a bit cheaper, Celestion loaded and. almost as loud as the AC30s.

I do like the Laney VC30 212 as well

17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I dont really need to be louder, but I am wanting 3 amps because brian may plays wet dry wet.

So even with 3 ac30s and 3 webber attenuators I won't be that loud, but I will have a fat, fat reverby tone.

Besides, even if my career never takes off I can always play country.

I use a demeter real reverb rack mount into stereo tremulator pedal also by demeter.

I was wondering about that 30 watt monoprice. It seems like it's going for the box sound, certainly not the look

18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Three AC15s would be an epic setup, I'm sure it would sound brilliant. I imagine the volume would be enough for just about anything.
    Not as easy to daisy chain unfortunately, since each channel only has one input (current version).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.