1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Lookiing Forward to Elysium?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It doesn't pay to be subtle today.

[SPOILER ALERT!]

In the climactic scene, Matt Damon is pummeled by a CGI John Wayne.

2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Yee-ha! Now that's what I call good modern filmmakin'!

3. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Now that might be worth paying for!

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Dear Matt Damon, if you are a member here, and feel that you would really like to make a difference in someone's life, I would really appreciate you wiring me into an account I will specifically set up to receive it, the sum of two million dollars. I'll explain why I need that amount when you contact me off board. Rest assured it will go to a good cause and I will be a dedicated supporter of your movies in the future. I'm still not going to see that stinko Elysium thing though. Before the movie is over you'll probably start turning into a crab looking thing. Um never mind, I think you're already there.

5. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty common pre-WW2, too. Wells and Verne had that stuff down.

6. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

So let me get this straight.
    This is a film about the have's and the have not's, filmed by and with people you could describe as the have's and they want/expect the have not's to pay to go and see it?
    Did I get that right?

7. BigDaddyLH

So... only the poor should make movies about the gulf between the rich and the poor? How is that ever going to be in 3-D?

8. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I love scifi. I have seen tons of sf movies and read the comics...books...etc. I have seen the Elysium trailer and it does not interest me at all. I watched District 9 and found it utterly predictable...I probably won't even make the effort to watch it as a rental...too many mediocre scifi movies, and lacking a unique vision...

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Great point! If po' folks made movies, they be using hand held 8mm cameras and having the film developed at the drug store. They'd be using a Craigs List piano for the action music.

10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I will probably go see it-looks better than most. I still have only seen parts of District 9-it seems like a film I respect but would not really like.

11. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

You just described the next wave of independent film making. I can heard the lines forming at NYU right now.

12. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. Now I get. I could never figure why time warner would put out the matrix trillagy
    Until I understood the actual message of the three films. You can fight and fight with all your heart, but in the end the best you can do is make a deal. You can never win. Then the marketing made sense.
    Same as 1984, you can not beat big brother. ORWELL was telling cautionary tale one one kind with 1984 and matrix tells another equally cautionary tale.1984 calls to us wake up, the matrix commands go back to sleep.k

And of coarse pay for the privilage of subliminal intimidation.

13. Skully

Was it? I pondered that when I typed it. Wells' works contain metaphors for contemporary social issues. Do Verne's? His seem more like straight up adventures. But I admit I haven't read either since I was a kid. Regardless, was it truly common for pre-WW2 sci fi? I don't know. Huxley's "Brave New World" would certainly fit the bill. But it certainly was common of the explosion of science fiction works post-WW2.

14. Skully

Nope. They're using digital cameras, digital editing and digitally recorded music. That's infinitely cheaper and easier than working with Super 8.

15. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Anything with Jodie Foster can't be but so bad........

16. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, when did this thread get interesting?:D

I loved the first Matrix movie. And I thought the message was excellent - wake up, chose to view and live in reality instead of the pleasant (and sometimes not so pleasant) illusion you're being dosed with. However, the second and third Matrix movies got progressively worse (IMO). Still a groundbreaking and fun series but the symbolism got too heavy-handed and there was increasing over-reliance on CGI (again IMO).

But I still think the Matrix trilogy had the right message: Freedom is worth fighting for. The fact that the best they could do at the end was cut a deal didn't diminish that message, as I saw it.

This Elysium movie seems to be trying to reflect, in a graphic way, the current situation - we are a society of haves and have nots, and the divide has grown to historical proportions. Yes, the symbolism is again very heavy-handed but I suppose that's Hollywood.

The question of rich folks asking poor folks to pay to see a movie that hits them over the head with the idea that society is unequal and unfair... well, that's nothing new. Revolutions have often been led, or at least pushed forward, by individuals from the privileged classes. Ditto education of the poor. The question you have to ask is, what do these selfless leaders of the revolution really want? And where are they really leading you?

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

At least the House Atredies who well off, were kinder to their people
    than the Harknonen, even to the lowly fremen.

18. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A divide of historic proportions? Hmn...

Pre-industrial societies had way bigger disparities between rich and poor. The industrial revolution, while it didn't "solve" the problem, did make the playing field more level. I would argue that a lot of today's billionaires started off from median income families.

Is the system rigged to perpetuate advantage? Well, duh! Again, it used to be rigged much worse: serfs, freemen, aristocrats and never the twain shall meet.

I gather that in Elysium the wealthy are trying once again to freeze the class/wealth boundaries in a medieval fashion. The good news is, it rarely works. Merit wins out. That's actually a positive message.

19. BigDaddyLH

I'm not interested in going back to per-industrial statistics. Just in my lifetime, in the past 50 years the gulf between rich and poor has widened.

20. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

It's a MOVIE. It has to hit you over the head with it's message, in case you happen to be one of the millions who won't think for themselves. "Please, sombody tell me what my opinion is..." I'm surprised that you guys are surprised by any of this - there are people out there who think a smartphone makes them smart. And they buy movie tickets, too, so it's a great way for movie makers to slam their opinions into people's heads. I don't even get upset by this stuff anymore - if I spent too much time thinking about it I'd be aggravated all the time. I see movies like this and I just sit back and enjoy the specatacle. Sometimes it's ok if entertainment is mindless - sometimes it's better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.