Anyone know who built this pine Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by lowatter, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This looks like your main issue is finding the right slab of wood. I don't believe that woods character was manufactured.

lowatter likes this.
  2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

On the bottom of the pics it says songsofjonathonwilson.com. The site isn't active. Also says it's 180 year old pine.

3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You’ve confirmed my hunch. It is one of Jonathan’s.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

hemmings and Stiles like this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

these guys make a "hand-tooled" leather pickguard that looks muy wayno. I like the idea of it, if only because in junior high, we must have spent 3 weeks in shop class learning how to emboss/stamp/design leather stuff, in the western style. I think I made a wallet with rawhide lacing trim. Oak leaves and such.

https://www.eldoradostraps.com/product/guitar-pickguards/hand-tooled-leather-tele-pickguard/

they make straps and hand engraved metal stuff. Jewelry for yer guitar. I like the idea of plain pine with a leather pickguard as in the OP's photo. Here's another, just for grins. Can't remember where I saw it:

leather pickguard.jpg

lowatter likes this.
  5. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Thanks Lee and Peter! I forgot about that website and I remember going there quite a few YEARS AGO for info and ideas. I bookmarked it(again). I'm sure that's where I originally found that pic. I'm 59(next Saturday)...and every tool in my shed is dull! :confused:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Jim622 likes this.
  6. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Here's my 2" pine slabs that I only paid $40 for the pair...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Jim622 likes this.
  7. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

...err, I got nothing.

8. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Thanks teletimetx. The $100 price tag will probably force me to look for an old hand tooled mexican purse or tool my own design. Time will tell. I may look for an Allparts or Mighty Mite neck but I may just make my own. I have to see what kind of maple I have available in my shop. "F" necks because of the skunk stripe etc. are pretty time consuming and tricky I would image. Haven't tried one yet.

Crobbins likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah - those seem kinda pricey.

You might take a look, if you haven't already, at the DIY subforum here - for info both on neck building and telecaster building. There's a whole universe of info and experience there. Special home-made jigs for routing the skunk stripe channel, good advice on body building, etc. Many, many excellent builders here.

It's called the Tele Home Depot in the DIY Channel.

Macrogats and lowatter like this.
  10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

https://eldoradostraps.com/product/guitar-pickguards/hand-tooled-leather-tele-pickguard/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hand-Tooled Leather “Tele” Pickguard
    Description
    Our hand-tooled leather pickguards for Teles™ are made using the highest grade veg-tanned saddle leather, hand-tooled, and backed with a phenolic vulcanized fibre material for rigidity. A great way to customize your Tele. Direct replacement for standard Telecaster™ pickguards.

Choice of Tan, Brown, or Black leather colors. “Wild Rose” or “acorn & oakleaf” tooling pattern (pickguards are sold without screw-mounting holes).

lowatter likes this.
  11. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

12. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

M.K. Holloway made the beauty posted above.
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=m k holloway
    For some reason, I can't make the link work, so go to etsy.com and search for Mk Holloway pickguard, or copy and paste the link.
    Captain Obvious signing off!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Mike Eskimo and teletimetx like this.
  13. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Also, for what it's worth, I got my two 3-pound pine bodies from ToneBomb on eBay for $55 or so each. Not 200 years old, though.

Attached Files:

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

About 10 years ago pine teles were the rage with everyone after Arlo West posted his pine builds. Many members of TDPRI including me had to have a pine Tele and the rage was on. Pinemart selling bodies and everyone else making their own. I never was a fan of all the big knots, it just looked too "pine poser" to me. I have made several out of pine and still have a couple of pine bodies to complete.

The first 3 are made of pine reclaimed from shipping pallets.

This is my 2009 TDPRI build challenge entry
    img_1393a.jpg

This is the same guitar body shown above, my 2009 TDPRI build challenge entry
    IMG_1339.JPG

My 2010 TDPRI build challenge entry. Also made from a pine pallet.
    114-1442c.jpg

This one was made from a pallet and was my #1 for several years.
    img00367a.jpg

This one is also made from a pallet
    IMG00161.jpg

The pine production line back in 2010...
    The left and right bodies are 1 piece Pinemart bodies the middle body is pictured above after the 3rd P90 route.
    IMG00139.jpg

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

16. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

@MikeSimpson: WANT!!

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

yeah... Arlo really kinda got the pine thing going last decade... I did a few for him both Teles and Strats.. and subsequent posts generated a considerable interest... That led to Bill Lawrence having me do one he had Arlo play to demo his MicroCoil pickups at NAAM in '09 (I think) might be '10) . .

we're still going... they make remarkable twang machines.. here's a couple done in the past month..

DSC_6945.jpeg DSC_6946.jpeg

r

18. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I didn't say Arlo started it.... actually Leo did, in 1948... the prototypes were made of pine... and the first 80 or so guitars were all pine.... and Fender did a run of them in the late 90's... and somewhere between then and the mid 2000's Arlo started showing his Old Piney Strat... augmented by his stunning playing...

After I did one for Arlo, one of his friends, also a session musician, asked me to do one for him... then another.. he wound up swapping a truck load of 100 + year old pine for yet another guitar... then I did a few build threads... and that, coupled with a few "reviews", and things took off....

I'm still doing them today, and have a load of Ponderosa pine reclaimed from the Comstock Load era Mines, ca: mid to late 1800's, another haul from the Globe Grain Elevator in Duluth, WI.. ca: 1870's, ( that one's coming to an end since the remaining buildings they were dismantling burned earlier this year... :cry:) and I still have some Loblolly Pine from a Warehouse erected in NYC in the 1830's but it's like Neutron Star material heavy... and some other miscellaneous sections of various vintage... got some from a New Orleans Plantation built in the 1860's too..

in the months leading up to the 2009 Summer NAMM Bill Lawrence asked me to create a Pine Tele for him to debut his new MicroCoil pickups... Arlo would be the guitarist.. Arlo sent me an unfinished body made of Sugar Pine, I think.. it was pretty rough, I cannot remember if I reengineered it or just replaced it outright .. but she held her own in Nashville that Summer.. here's a pix.. the symbol is the Dalmore Scotch logo.. me 'n a couple others are Singlemaltophiles...:p

but it just keeps on keeping on... the old pine makes a stunning twang machine.. below is a typical Barnbuster... all of them are made of pine that's at least 100 years old.. Its not at all uncommon for someone to "gamble" on one, then order a couple other guitars made from similar wood...

In the ensuing years I've made Strats, Teles, Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Mustangs, Broncos, Jazz Basses. Precision Basses, . . pretty much all of 'em... and none ever disappointed..

but, No, Arlo didn't begin the idea, he and 'ol Piney were the catalyst that sparked the interest a little over a dozen or so years ago... I kinda nudged it along with a couple of build threads... then. . . . Bill Lawrence Called... and that was followed by the article featuring me 'n four other builders in Premiere Guitar magazine... and an "explosion" happened... and I was building 'em as fast as I could...

Arlo still peeks .. and pops up ever once 'n a while... maybe he'll say Howdy...

rk

dalmore03.jpg

DSC_7002.jpeg

CHarg and Mike Eskimo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.