Anyone know who built this pine Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by lowatter, Jun 30, 2019.

1. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Hey fellers and fellerettes. I'm a fairly new here off and on for several years and l really dig this website. I wasn't a huge Tele fan and only owned a Squier Affinity Butterscotch once years ago and never bonded with it. I find the ashtray saddle plate uncomfortable under my right hand but I love me some maple Fender necks. I've built a few guitars in the past and when I stumbled upon this Tele I just have to make one. I have 2 slabs of knotty yellow pine that are drying out in the garage for 6 months and waiting for them to dry out before making 2 of these. One will be for sale to pay for the parts for both and I'm keeping one for my collection.
    ANYONE knows who built this Tele so I can find out more details of his/hers build and sourcing? This Tele is the coolest one I've come across and screams "play me damn it!" Thanks!

[​IMG]

LocoTex, hemmings, PeterUK and 6 others like this.
  2. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Anyone?

3. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Nice tele! Are there any markings or indicators on it? Perhaps something written on the headstock or on the neck by the neck plate? I would also take the neck off and check the heel for stamps.

Probably gonna need more pics to help.

4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

More pics would be helpful... and a treat.

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Likely find the name in the neck pocket

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Oh wait, you don't have that guitar to tear into do you? I just realized that one, so you need somebody to recognize it by picture. I got nothing, but give it a little time....

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I didn't build that one but I built this one with pine, maple & leather...

51 pro amp.jpg

El Tele Lobo, joealso, Dukex and 7 others like this.
  8. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

This is the only pic I have of this guitar. Again, I'm trying to find who built it. I plan to build 2 similar. I guess if I can't find the builder I would still like to find a source for that hand tooled leather pickguard.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Grizzly Adams?

It's a cool looking tele, i'd take that bigsby off it though and string it through the body.

LocoTex, Flyboy, Stiles and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I’m not sure of the builders name but G.E Smith has a guitar similar to that made from a 500 year old piece of pine from a building in the Bowery in New York City,( can see it on premiere guitars rig rundown)
    probably find out more about it if you search
    ( G.E Smith Bowery guitar ) on the internet .
    I’m not saying that’s who built this just reminds me a lot of it
    Sorry that’s all I have to add
    Might at least give you some ideas
    Just about impossible to tell with out a headstock shot or any markings

Skydog1010 likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Very nice but not one of mine, I engrave deeply my name into the back - actually my Signature - over about 60% of the back for top loaders that are contoured belly cuts. About 40% or less for those sporting string through ferrules. Sorry no pictures at present but it does happen (most of the time). I'm an assembler of components, what I enjoy is finishing unfinished bodies - the easy way to build a project. I route nothing.

12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

I crazy goofy over that neck.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

14. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

It’s got a maple neck, a bigsby and a leather guard..... looks like it’s the perfect telecaster! Good luck with the hunting!

I’m waiting on some custom leather bits for my partscaster!

15. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but what more information do you need to build aguitar like this one? All that you can see there should be enough.

You say you've already got the wood for the body drying, so you’re not concerned about matching the exact type (unless you can tell by the grain what type it is).

You can clearly see it’s got a maple neck, a tooled leather pickguard, a bigsby and 3 barrel brass saddle.

And we can assume it’s got the standard pickup layout and control setup. What more do you need to know exactly to start making your own version? The pickups and controls aren’t necessary because you haven’t heard this telecaster play so just put in what *you* like. Basic telecaster pickups all look pretty much alike.

What if you hear from the maker and he says “oh yeah, the neck is a ceramic bar pickup I grabbed from eBay for $5, the bridge pickup is a stacked humbucker, but I never use it so it’s not even connected... I just left it in there to fill the cavity. The switch only works in the neck position and middle because of the disconnected bridge, and I wired the knobs as two volume controls because I wanted it to be twice as loud. Then I learned that’s not how volume controls work, but I left it because I just wanted to play.”

Do you see where I’m coming from? All the vital info to make a guitar that is similar to the one in that picture is already there.... in the picture.

16. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

You are thinking of Rick Kelly and Carmine Street Guitars. I don't think this is one of his either, close, but his bowery pine series have a slightly different vibe. You can peruse his stuff here -

https://www.facebook.com/CarmineStreetGuitars/
    Great movie on him and his work too- https://www.carminestreetguitarsfilm.com

It's 200 yo reclaimed pine and fir from the old bldgs of NYC - amazing guitars -

17. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Mainly, is the pine distressed artificially and what is the methods(sand blasting etc.) used to achieve this patina. What if any finish or oil/wax what have you. Sound clips made with this guitar. Origins of the neck and if it's naturally relic'd etc. Is this guitar being played professionally. Also I would like to see some more pics of this particular guitar.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    ronzhd likes this.
  18. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Ah. Ok. Shooting for the moon. Good luck man!

19. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

Not the answer to your question but here is a site with a few more close ups of that guitar if you haven't seen these already. Appears to be an old site though. Scroll most of the way down the page.
    https://msengers.home.xs4all.nl/htm/gallery.htm

lowatter and PeterUK like this.
  20. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It looks like one of Jonathan Wilson’s guitars he built as Greenwich Village Custom Guitars. Google GVCG and/or Jonathan Wilson.

He made some stunning aged guitars and caught the attention of the big F who, rumour has it, closed him down.

:) Peter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.