Anyone know what this is? Maker's reputation? Worth the gamble?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoscoeElegante, Jan 28, 2020.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Starshine-Electric-Guitar-Bigsby-Bridge-ASH-Body-1H1S-Pickups-Tobacco-Sunburst/283069888620?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=dce0378803204920a9aad44f9039d9ab&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=193290359299&itm=283069888620&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I have a feeling that before I decide, someone here who's crazier than I am will grab this.

Then again, I'm not sure I know anyone crazier than I am whom I haven't already married and divorced, being as crazy as I am. So, there's that....

Opine, please. Thanks!

(Why does a Schlitz can rigged to explode, and scoped out by a patient sniper, to lure the home-hungry, gadget-tempted G.I. to his doom keep occurring to me....? If I ordered this, my Social Security number on North Korean t-shirts would result, yes?)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Greggorios and Wildcard_35 like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

"QUALITY MORE THAN EVERYTHING!!"

Well, I'm sold.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Reminds me of an ad in a hotel directory when I was in Taiwan years ago: "Impossible enjoyment to be ever memorable"

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Cheap import unmarked Bigsby copy...

Bones, Teleguy61 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  5. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Might be a lot of fun, but like you said, your SS# might get printed onto t-shirts in China, or it could be coated with the coronavirus. What a time to be alive!

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

Endless intonation headaches. By the time you replace everything....

Yes, I can foresee and hear it all. Including my loop-pedal-like cussing at it.

But I love distract-me-from-a-planet-in-trouble challenges. Especially when they're in sunburst colors, and juuuuust might work out into really cool, more-or-less playable guitars and things. I worked hard at the collective 24 years of bad marriages, so....

And since I had to give up cigarettes, drinking, prison-bound friends, etc., etc., won't the enablers sing forth?

I'm more worried about my bank card numbers being 'jacked than the gizmo being a hot mess.

Maybe I should pay some bills first to lure myself away from another $ mistake....

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  7. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

wow. after a thorough attempt to make sense of what they have written on the ebay page, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

let me make a few corrections for them:
    We established our own brand “Starshine”, which integrates products structure and spirit of many world famous brands.... thus attract great attention of many foreign corporations's legal departments.

Wildcard_35, Shayo and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

You just don't like clear thinking, or something! This will straighten you out:
    https://www.boredpanda.com/hilariou...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

All you reality-based people make me sick. And thankful that I have someone saying "That ain't a real can of Schlitz, (old man) kid...."

Rev Rhythm, Teleguy61 and naneek like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Post of the day! You need to find a way to get these skillz to pay your billz!

10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Honestly....provided your credit info isn't hacked, your order goes through with no issues, and you receive some sort of electric guitar shaped thing in the mail in 37 to 54 days (!)....

- It may not look like the guitar pictured in the listing....like, at all.
    - At best, it could either be a perfectly serviceable instrument after a bit of tweaking, or at worst a completely unplayable canoe paddle.
    - If you're unhappy, you're pretty much stuck with it. I personally wouldn't be willing to take on language barriers, questionable return policies, unanswered emails, and complex international shipping regulations...all for a $200 dollar guitar.

But hey, if it really glazes your doughnut...Go for it!

Please post a review if you do.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You left out the best part.....
    "Quality more than everything!"
    "Guranteed aftersale service!"
    I guess everything is "guranteed quality"......except for spelling, that is.

12. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Maybe they have a quality guru...

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

The body looks okay but I think everything is probably just the same old cheap stuff that’s sold as chibson/fender “copies”
    So if that’s what you are looking for that’s probably what you will get

14. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Item location... China. Pass

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It's definitely a cool and unique looking guitar. I'd do it.

16. Fretting out

If they are guaranteed to help “after” the sale I think I’d see a problem coming

nojazzhere and RoscoeElegante like this.
  17. RoscoeElegante

Well, it's been decided: My oldest son needs new baseball cleats, and I need a catcher's mitt to help him with his pitching. He's now throwing way too hard to catch with a regular glove. And lil' bro wants to resume his cello lessons. And both boys are keen on our kayak-buying Ontario wilderness trip this summer.

Good Gawd, the way a new guitar idea/image you haven't seen before/fave color pattern triggers the Pavlovian drools. Need to get out my sunburst Esquire and rest loudly content.

It's almost as if as lot of shrewd foreigners, reading our appetites and recklessness, eager to put centuries of hardship behind them, figured out how to snag Americans' "I need that one, too!" gluttonies with advertising that anyone sane would recognize as so many warning signs. Couldn't be that, though, right?

Thanks, everyone, for the candid feedback. Sensible GAS, my new motto (again).

Fretting out and Greggorios like this.
  18. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

19. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

China does have some quality factories and builds. I deal with China on a daily basis in business and for the most part the people are great and want to do the right thing. In this case, I think you could do better. Keep in mind they are going to use cheaper electronics, cheaper hardware and take shortcuts if you let them. A couple of things to keep in mind, normally you will owe a tariff on your purchase. You also risk customs holding up your delivery and possibly confiscating if they think this is a forgery. I generally do not have an issue with small packages.
    I am not a fan of that neck and it looks like it is not mounted straight. If you do decide to pull the trigger make sure that you have them send pictures of the actual item you will be receiving and use a charge card to pay. If it were me I would keep an eye out on Amazon for a Sawtooth that you like, they don't have vibratos right now but you never know. Good luck!

20. Fretting out

I agree completely, when in the category of affordable foreign guitars I actually prefer made in China for the feel and quality
    I also don’t think this instrument is one of those quality ones and the O.P can do better
    So made in China isn’t automatically bad

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.