1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone know of an AC15 Kit?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Citizen_Insane, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Tele-Meister

I've always wanted an AC15, but because of the construction of the new ones, I'd rather have something hand made. I know Valvetech makes the Hayseed amp, which is something I'm considering, but they're a little more expensive than I'd like.

Mostly I was looking for a kit because it's easy (all the parts are there), but if someone had a decent AC15 schematic that you can actually read, maybe I"ll just part one together. Every schematic I've found for the AC15 is really hard to read.

I've seen a couple AC30 kits around, but no AC15's. I just don't need 30 watts. I've been playing a 22 watt DRRI and I've never even gotten it past 5 at a gig, I don't think I could ever use 30 watts.

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

The AC15 circuit has a lot in common with the Marshall 18-watt.

3. laird

laird Tele-Holic

There's a surprising lack of AC15 clone kits out there. The Marshall 18-watt kits will get you a workable chassis and iron, though you'll have to work up your own board and layout.

Here is a schematic of a PTP AC15 clone I built recently, hopefully it'll give you some ideas.

-Laird

4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

Aren't the Matchless Spitfire and Lightning very close to the AC15 in circuit?

Ceriatone has them - my brother has the Lightning, though he doesn't talk much about it, except that it's loud.

5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

It does have a lot in common, but not enough to straight up mod an 18w kit into an AC15. And as Laird mentions below, a 18w parts might be a good start for at least the PT and OT.

Laird's right, if you're doing an EF86 channel and a TopBoost channel like the old AC15's, an 18w chassis and board likely won't work. Plus you'd still need a filter choke and you'd have the wrong resistor/cap values for the PI.

A DC30 is much closer to an AC30. In fact, you could get a DC30 kit and mod it directly into a Vox with the parts it'll come with.

For instance, if you pull two of the EL84's and use a 50uF bypass and 130ohm on the cathode and you'd essentially have an AC15 with an added Master Volume control and a 6way Tone selector.

COMPARISON
    The 18w has different phase inverter values, is missing the post treble control (the Vox "Cut" control), lacks the EF86 channel, and doesn't have the TopBoost preamp setup. The DC30 is an AC30 with bells and whistles.

Better yet, build a stock DC30 with a half power switch and you'll pretty much just have an AC30/AC15 with some bonuses (Tone selector, MV, FX loop, etc).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.