1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone know of a 12V DC DIY tube amp?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mofugly13, May 10, 2009.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 Tele-Meister

I would like to build a tube amp that will run off of a deep cycle 12V battery. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I'd like to build it myself, so if anyone knows where I could find some schematics, throw me a link.

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

To get any power , your going to have to up the voltage, unless your willing to go hybrid. That is going to mean a DC to DC converter. They do not have to be all that complex, but they bring their own noise issues. Efficiency becomes a major issue no matter what sized battery you have.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a small commercial 12-120v inverter, just something that can put out an amp or so. Build the amp you want , run the heaters from the raw 12v source ( the battery) use the inverter to power the B+ only. That reduces the size and cost of the needed PT.

3. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

4. z8894

z8894 Tele-Meister

12VDC amp

I built the 12AL8 Version 2 amp from http://www.sophtamps.ca/mambo/index....=25&Itemid=37: a couple of weeks ago. Easy and cheap to build. I haven't put it in a chassis yet, may modify a few things before I do. It doesn't do clean at all. It sounds a little choked just plugging a guitar in to it but does much better with a Danelectro EQ pedal I had giving it a little boost. I checked the specs on the tubes and determined .8 amps at 12VDC would be enough power, wrong. The heaters alone needed 4 amps. I found a nice 12V 6A supply for $22 and it works fine.

The layout isn't very pretty. It was a rainy day and I just started on end and worked to the other. I also just used parts I had on hand, that's why there are 2 600V rated caps on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

What about the power with the 12AL8?

About 0,5W? Loud TV level? Less?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. Cap'n Kier

Cap'n Kier TDPRI Member

7. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

thanks, great link. I know other good circuits from him (great guy also)

I wonder if the MurderOne could be vibracastized... it could be nice, I'll think about/tell him

(I mean add vibrato from VibraCaster, since it uses 6111 in a similar config)

edit: it looks like it should work!

I also wonder about a similar circuit using only 12AU7 (two triodes for pre and two as amp as in Firefly and others)

8. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

Submini tubes are great, but not necessarily lo-voltage. I've built a couple, and one with 5902 output and 6021/6022 preamp tubes, more or less like a tweed vibrolux, is a keeper, sounds very good. Couple of watts from fixed bias class AB.

steven

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.