Anyone know anything about these pickups at all?

telewhacked

TDPRI Member
pickup.PNG

Ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224648703571

Howdy fellow tele whackers,

I noticed these pickups on Ebay. They are very similar (at least cosmetically) to the "foil" style single coil pickups offered by Guitar Fetish, but much less expensive.

They appear to be a stacked coil design (so a humbucker) that fits in these cool looking "foil" style covers.

I see they are 4 conductor, so I assume 2 of the leads are standard and the other 2 are for coil tapping etc.

The only issue is that they are not offered in a calibrated set and most of them on Ebay don't really designate if they are for neck, middle, or bridge, or even give clear info on the exact output.

So I have 2 questions for anyone that wants to hopefully offer their input:

1. How would I install 3 of these in the neck/middle/bridge positions and know which will go best where? or if they will even work that way? I suppose a set of 3 pickups with the exact same output might not work well at all, but who knows?

2.Has anyone here had any experience with these or seen these anywhere else? Anyone seen these covers sold anywhere else?

I already know they are cheap Chinese pickups so I'm not expecting custom shop quality or anything. They are very affordable and this would just be for fun experimentation on a partscaster of which I have WAY too many laying around. haha...

Let me know what you guys think, good or bad...

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Lately I am very leery of cheap online products. There are a lot of scams out there. I bought a nine guitar folding rack for a pretty decent price.

When I went assemble it, I found out that the holes the padded pegs go into were never threaded. I complained, and was told to mail it back for a refund. That wasn’t worth while at all. I ended up getting a “partial” refund for it and spent $10 more (plus my time) on a tool to tap the holes for threads. If I wasn’t so handy, it would have been more of a ripoff.

The guy had a “real” product, but it was a factory reject. I got lucky that I was able to make it work, and he is still scamming people with a defective product on FB Marketplace.

Avoid “Lily John” there. That’s the scammer. He gave me
A partial refund, blocked me, and claimed me as another happy customer. FB

Marketplace is a den of thieves. I don’t do business there anymore.

telewhacked

TDPRI Member
Yeah, I've had a couple shady experiences on FB marketplace as well. It seems like its one rung above Craigslist nowadays... and that's not a very high rung.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Looks
Like a single coil size take on
Old gold foils. Interesting

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I would leave that one alone. If you are interested in the gold foil just get the GFS. They sound good to my ears. In that picture I only see 3 leads and in the description it says Hot Rails. I believed they used the wrong picture. Things aren't adding up

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
I have the GFS one in the back position on one of my Strats, I got the ferrite one for true Goldfoil cheezer tone, it delivers.

telewhacked

TDPRI Member
I just ordered a "quikplug" compatible calibrated set of the "foil style" single coil variants from GF. They only had white and black covers, no cream...so I got white.

Man, I would love to know a source where I could find those cool looking foil pickup covers by themselves. Haven't been able to find any.