Anyone know about vintage Cort guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by scout2112, Jun 30, 2019.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I picked up this wine red Les Paul copy locally for a good price. I think it’s out of the 80s, maybe a GE20. In a way I've come full circle because my very first guitar around 1980 was also an unbranded red wine Les Paul copy. It cleaned up very nicely. The only major blemish on it is on one corner of the headstock and a small crack on the neck where it bolts on.

The good; love the color, it’s in relatively good shape, good thick lacquer, the binding on it looks amazing for an inexpensive Les Paul copy, and it looks like it has the original pickups in it which sound surprisingly good. It's also surprisingly light for a Les Paul.

The bad; tuning gears are terrible (already replaced with some Gibson tuners that I had lying around), noisy pots, removing the pickups revealed that the body is made out of plywood.

Any ideas on the age/model of this guitar?

Any idea what the little Alan wrench socket is for where the neck bolts on?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like it! Could the hex socket be for neck tilting?

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Probably a copy of microtilt adjustment.

Would be poly not nitro. Decent guitar. Cort really came into it's own around mid 2000s

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Late 80s, based on the laminated body (which isn't a problem until resale as buyers are frightened of it, shrug). Cort makes all the Fender Squier guitars for years. They tend to put higher quality into their own branded models than contracted to build for other brands, because the other brands have them build to a price point.

That's a microtilt-like adjuster.

Check the frets with a fret rocker and level if you find issues. Replace the pots, caps, jack, and switch with modern top-line stuff like Bourns/Switchcraft/etc. Leave the stock pickups (the pots+caps push tone around, swap those if you feel the need). Replace the tuners if the factory ones are damaged, otherwise just practice good 'tuning up' the guitar, or get some Grovers/Klusons. Do a full setup including pickup height adjustments by ear. Treat it as if you spent a $1,000 on it and you'll be amazed at the great tones and playability.

Here is one I own. Newer built possibly late 90s/early 00s, solid body (no laminations). It was missing one of the neck inlays when I got it several years ago and this last winter I got around to replacing all the inlays, shown here just before putting strings on it).

[​IMG]

uriah1 and RodeoTex like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My #1 Telecaster began life as a 1993 Korean Fender Squier, made by Cort. Three piece solid body. As good as almost any Telecaster ever was. It made an excellent instrument to repeatedly modify and experiment on.

7. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

That's good info and a nice looking axe. One odd thing I noticed is that each humbucker is held in place with 4 screws instead of 2. That sure is an odd design choice. One of the pickup rings is broken, and it doesn't look like it will be easy to find a replacement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.