Anyone keep several loaded Tele pickguards?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by KeepItSimpleTele, Dec 14, 2019.

1. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

Hello all,

I have three standard teles and thinking about condensing to my single favourite. I have a broadcaster bridge in all of them (my fav in that position). It’s the neck pickups that differ between them. One has a SD vintage tele, another a Gretsch Filtertron, and the last a SD mini vintage humbucker.

Does anyone out their keep several loaded tele pickguards for the same guitar? Any quick and easy ways to swap?

This main tele is already routed for a humbucker so the mini pickguard and the filter pickguard should fit ok.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There’s no point in leaving the pickup on a guard, as you still need to solder it to the switch anyway so you’re not saving any time for two screws.

The correct answer for TDPRI is buy more Teles.

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I unload them and lock them up.

8trackmind, nojazzhere, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

No not Tele's but I do keep probably 20 - 25 strat guards loaded, only six or seven are ,8 hole guards.

5. KeepItSimpleTele

I guess I can use some quick connects on the control switches and the neck pickup leads...

Maybe more hassle than it’s worth. The different teles are more than just their pickups and I do eventually get to them every couple months.

Perhaps I’m just playing too many mental games about hoarding and really working with the one main tele

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Three Teles ain’t hoarding, that’s a starter kit ‘round these parts.

moosie, skunqesh, Carcinogen and 2 others like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't keep "extras"......but I definitely keep one up the pipe in my #1. ;)

stormsedge and Frodebro like this.
  8. Gardo

Gardo TDPRI Member

I hadn't considered loaded pickgaurds. But I have been thinking about making up some loaded control plates with different wiring schemes and values. With help from some quick connectors I could completely rewire a guitar with 2 screws

KeepItSimpleTele and Skydog1010 like this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I don't and I wouldn't. That just seems to me to be indecisive and frivolous -- a distraction more than a helpful resource. It just isn't that hard to arrive at a workable setup, musically and tonally, and at some point getting picky over smaller and smaller distinctions is a terrific hobby but not music. So I guess it depends on what your interests are. If you want to be a sonic experimenter, then by all means amass a closet full of gizmos for that purpose. If you priority is music, IMO notes trump everything else, by far, far, far. I'd find a set and move on.

Gardo likes this.
  10. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Leo's original design would tend to make the question moot. ;)

11. Gardo

Gardo TDPRI Member

pretty good summary

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I'm wondering if an EQ pedal of some kind could fix that problem for you. If its minor differences in neck pickups, it would definitely be easier to keep an extra pedal on the floor than an extra loaded pick guard that most likely is rarely (if ever) going to swapped in.

I could be wrong though, only you know what that sounds is you're looking for.

13. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have one with a PAF and another with a noiseless single coil. Can change over in a few minutes.

Mostly use the PAF - DP211 Eric Johnson Dimarzio and it doesn't sound like my Gretsch Country Gent or my Les Paul.

Depends upon what I'm recording...they both work really well. Couldn't resist trying just to see if I could set them up properly with the bridge p/u in there now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. KeepItSimpleTele

I see and take your point here. I tend to get diverted/distracted with the tone details at times. Just different flavors of neck pickups I’ve never really settled on for the Telecasters (unlike the SD Broadcaster that’s just “it” for me in that guitar type).

Out of the three teles, I think I’ll just keep two and not bother with multiple pick guards. It’s really the dark SD vintage tele pickup AND the SD mini vintage firebird I bounce between for neck sounds. The filtertron is rarely used...still too muddy for me (I never figured this out as it seems diff than everyone else's’ experiences!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.