Anyone into non-western plucked stringed instruments?

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I was unfamiliar with all three instruments mentioned in the OP. Now I’m checking them out. Cool!

If you get a tanbur I hope you will post clips of you playing something on it!

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
This one's a favorite:

1656768172300.png

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
This is a photo from a friend from 12 years ago of an instrument he purchased from the maker sight-unseen after correspondence. I *think* the instrument is similar to a moheen veena, but I recall it having a different name. Which I can't remember.

[Edit]It's called a Chaturangui, although this has eight primary strings[/Edit]

According to my friend, it was difficult to tune and find replacement strings for, but sounded great and played well, I think with a bar.

2591281549603884.jpg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
This is a photo from a friend from 12 years ago of an instrument he purchased from the maker sight-unseen after correspondence. I *think* the instrument is similar to a moheen veena, but I recall it having a different name. Which I can't remember.

[Edit]It's called a Chaturangui, although this has eight primary strings[/Edit]

According to my friend, it was difficult to tune and find replacement strings for, but sounded great and played well, I think with a bar.

View attachment 1000181

This looks a lot like the instrument used by Debashish Bhattacharya for playing hindustani steel guitar. Steel guitar has become a divergent tradition in indian classical music, since Sol Hoopii toured india about a century ago. Is Hawaii east or west?
It's played like a lap steel, but with drone strings added.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Interestingly there is a poster on the sofa behind and to the left of the instrument... I think you're right!

I wish I'd paid more attention at the time to the information, I was so taken with my National Style 1 tricone, Kelly Joe Phelps' technique and coming to grips with using picks we'd compare notes and nothing would really sink in. I don't remember much about the music, the musicians, the tunings or the instrument itself, and we're not in touch now, it's a shame.

At around 6:12 in the video the camera zooms to the right hand and I just started laughing. I mean, seriously! Never in a million years. Are those 3 separate patterns on 2 fingers and a thumb? WOW.

This looks a lot like the instrument used by Debashish Bhattacharya for playing hindustani steel guitar.

Last edited: