1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone into Japanese/Korean movies ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brogh, Sep 24, 2020.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes!

2. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

I saw Woman in the Dunes when I was a teenager...on late night TV...and never forgotten it !

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've seen a number of Kurasawa films, which I always liked although some are a bit more conventional.

Woman in the Dunes is a classic.

I watched "Zero Focus" as it is set in Kanazawa where I went a couple times on business. I didn't recognize any locations.

https://thetokyofilesmedia.wordpress.com/2016/09/03/scenes-from-zero-focus-1961/comment-page-1/

I've watched a few from Miike, e.g. "The Audition" which is infamous for being difficult to get through. I don't go for that on purpose. Another one was a dark musical comedy and yet another was a surreal dreamlike Yakuza thing.

I haven't gotten into Korean cinema as much. A few months ago I watched one called "The Flu" which in spite of being made 5 years ago seems pretty relevant today.

4. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Yep....the wifster and myself have enjoyed many Asian movies over the years.

We're not into character studies, dull drama or love stories.
    We prefer the action/martial arts.....gg/bg (good guy-bad guy) movies.
    As mentioned Zatoichi is a good series.

Considering our preferences....If I were asked I'd recommend:
    Revenger (Bruce Kahn - Kim Pil Su was killed outside a bar in Hawaii during the making of the film)
    Ip Man 1-4 (Donnie Yen)
    Master Z (Max Zhang - a follow up to the Ip Man series after he loses to Ip Man)
    Furie (Ngo Thanh Van)

But....that's just us. :)

Have a great weekend....

5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Another few from Japan that are "out there":

6. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Others have covered movies by Kurosawa, Ozu, etc. so I won't mention those but I'll mention a few Japanese movies that I thought were good. I'll just give a quick synopsis and provide links to the Wikipedia pages in case you're interested in learning more about them.

The first three movies revolve around the theme of death. No, I'm not morbid but it is interesting how different cultures view death.

A personal favourite of mine is After Life where people who have departed this life end up at a way station where they have to choose one memory to take with them into the afterlife. There are a lot of subtle things going on in the movie which I didn't pick up on until I had watched the movie several times. It's also interesting to ask yourself that question - if you could only take one memory with you into the next world, what would you choose?

Another movie I like is Departures which is about a man who returns to his home town after failing as a musician and ends up answering a job ad for what he thought was for a travel agent, but actually was a job as a mortician. I found the encoffining ceremony both fascinating and beautiful.

Still on the death theme, but this time a comedy is The Funeral, which follows a family as they deal with the aftermath of the death of their patriarch.

And finally, not a movie about death but another movie directed by Juzo Itami, the same person who directed The Funeral, Tampopo is a comedy that follows the trials and tribulations of a woman who struggles to perfect her ramen noodle dishes with the help of a truck driver.

I'm sure I could come up with plenty more but these were the first ones that popped into my head.

Sleepyscholar and Digital Larry like this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those all sound really interesting. I'm not into action/violent films. I have seen Tampopo.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  8. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I just remembered having watched Audition a long time ago. If I recall it was a lot of gore and intended to be a love-letter to Old Boy. I don't think I've seen Old Boy fwiw

9. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There are several popular American TV shows (that I can’t think of) that were created in Korea.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

A little bit. We lived in Seoul for not quite 3 years, and I’ve been back for business a few times since. I watch them on occasion. My middle daughter likes anime.

11. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

In a sense, all of Itami's movies are about death!

But I have to say I love Tampopo, and it's a major reason why I got to live here in Japan. It came up at my interview: I was asked about the Japanese movies I liked, and I said that I loved watching Kurosawa's, but the Japan I wanted to live in was Tampopo.

I can also recommend Firefly Dreams (Kurosawa's son said it was the best Japanese film in the year of its release) and The Trial (Shinpan), both directed by John Williams (though full disclosure: I appear in the credits of the latter). They haven't received extensive distribution because, well, to put it simply, the Japanese movie industry is as racist as any other part of Japanese society.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.