1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone install a P/G Bender?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by strat-o-teleman, Mar 31, 2004.

1. strat-o-teleman

strat-o-teleman Tele-Meister

I've seen the Parsons/Green Fender B-Bender do-it-yourself kit on Gene Parson's site. Has anyone here tried it themselves? If so would you recommend it. I've got a MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele that I'd love to have a Bender on. I just wonder if "do-it-yourself" is the way to go. I'm a handyman by trade--so I'm fairly confident in my skills(with hand tools--not guitar playing!) --just looking for some input.[/img]

2. SteelBender

SteelBender TDPRI Member

Installing a P/G bender

Hello Strat-o-teleman,

The question about if it is the way to go can have several answers but I will toss out a few.

Do you have a router?

Do you have a routing bit with a top mounted bearing so you can follow the template?

They are readily available from Rockler, StewMac, and many woodworking suppliers.

The kit Parsons sells has everything you need but not the tools. You will need to make the template from the pattern which is included in the kit. I can make you a template and save you some time. I have a couple of Tele's with the P/G and a body I could make the template from.

For not much more $, you can get a PW bender and bypass the PG option installed. That is what I do. email me directly regarding this. info@benderguitars.com

I hope this helps Strat-o-teleman

3. rod

rod TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bender Installation

Instead of using a router, you can use a 1" Forstner bit in a Drill Press to create the channel in the guitar body. It's slower than using a router but you don't need a template and it's easy to see what you're doing as there is no router base covering up the action. Also, it's a lot less expensive than buying a template and the appropriate router bit, assuming that you have access to a Drill Press. Forstener bits allow you to drill overlapping holes so the wood is removed by drilling a series of holes.The channel left is not as smooth as one that is routed but the cover plate hides that. I've installed P/W type benders that I've made using this technique and, although it's not a production method, it's great for a one time operation.

If you use a router, I agree with SteelBender that a template is necessary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.