1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone here using AVAST anti virus?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1977CJ5, Oct 17, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I've been using AVG (free) for the past few years and have been pretty satisfied. However, after the last upgrade, my computer has really been running slow, and doing scary things.

So, per recommendations from Cnet, I removed it and installed AVAST (free). Man, my computer is breathing again. It is actually running better than it has in years.

But, I don't see where you can schedule any nightly virus checks like AVG. Not sure if this is a big deal. Seems like if it is running all the time, it should not be letting any nasty things in to scan for. But, just wondering if any of you guys are running this, and how often you run the scan feature.

Thanks!

2. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

I just had my PC overhauled and after having trobs with browsing, slow running pc etc here is what the tech told me....

1) If your runing "free" anti-virus software you are NOT protected, pay for it!!

2) If your not using the latest Internet Explorer your behind the 8 ball

3) Firefox is not as stable as it used to be, refer to 2

4) Do not install "add ons' and/or toolbars unless absolutely necessary

5) Do not use free anti-spyware software

3. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, AVG uses a lot of resources. I switched to Avira Antivir. No problems at all...

4. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Hmmm, after paying Trend or Zone or Norton for several years been using AVG for a few now... Never had a problem. Also use Commodo Firewall (there's also AV if you want ) Been leery of the microsoft stuff for a while but maybe they've caught up. I'm no Tech but know a few including some games developer/programmers, they use AVG last I heard. Also a IT friend put me onto a cool little program Scotty on patrol, doggie woofs if something tried to install. Avast is supposed to be good but I've had no reason to change... so far.

Nothings infallible and it's always partly where you go and what you do.

Oh I also use Firefox.

Kristina

5. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Probably good advice. But after paying good money to two of the biggest anti virus providers, and having multiple problems, and terrible customer service, my tech, who is very reputable and has multiple shops in the Atlanta area, told me to use AVG (free). I have had no viruses since using this for the past few years.

I will not go back to the others, so I guess I will continue to take my chances.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Sort right, sort of wrong. Microsoft's free anti-virus software is very good, malwarebytes is superb, both are a free license for personal use.

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There are many great free anti virus apps around - some that are better than the "big name" anti virus software available..

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I'm still using Microsoft Security Essentials with no problem. Along with Window XP Home Edition Fire Wall and Firefox.

Google Chrome I don't care for and Internet Explore only if I have to use.

9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

MSSE and Malwarebytes are on the 150+ computers I work on and since Ive been using these zero probleems have happened so it makes life easy when you dont have to work on anything anymore.

MSSE and Malwarebytes and always do all the windows updates and you wont have a problem.

10. Telenut62

The main reason I was told not to install anti-spyware is by having Windows auto updates, run a clean disk maintenace once a month and a paid anti-virus like AVG they are clutter on your pc. The main prob I had was with add-ons which Firefox was installing on the browser, since switching to IE I've had vert no pop ups no add on request and pc is running like a Swiss watch

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah I also have Spybot search and destroy and Glary Utilities as well.

12. Telenut62

Just a heads up on those spyware progs, if you decide to delete any, they may have "isolated" infected files that are important to your system. So don't just go and uninstall them from the control panel

13. freqdaddy

freqdaddy TDPRI Member

I have used the free Avast for years and it has kept me virus free. I think it is excellent.

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya IE8 is on all 150+ computers I maintain it works perfect on all web pages I visit. I also use SAS Super Anti Spyware which is also free.

15. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Avast is no use.

Like an idiot I installed an "adobe update" on a "mozilla page" but did not check the domain correctly in the above bar. Avast let me install it and did not even recognise the virus in a search tried 3 other free antivirus programs incl malwarebytes. No luck. Reinstalled xp.

16. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Since it does not run auto virus scan, how often do you run a scan, or do you?

17. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I've never had a problem with AVAST, I was using AVG but it started acting wierd. I've used Windows Defender too. Knock on something I've not had a virus or a serious problem in years.

18. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

I've been using it for a whiole and never been caught out... I run a full scan rarely, I do a spotlight scan on anything that comes down.. Never been hit and it's caught loads.

19. crackpot

crackpot Tele-Meister

Nothing will protect your computer from you.

20. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

"Avast 4.0 PRO" and "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" here.
    Viruses don't swing by my laptop.

Oh yeah, just so you know....Symantec and the big ones dont stop everything. Most viruses and malware are coded to bypass those specific "Corporate" antivirus systems because they are so prevalently used by companies.

Think about it from a hackers perspective...if you want to get at the good data...hack/code for the generally used and widely accepted antivirus systems.

But of course...mostly it comes down to user stupidity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.