Anyone here using a Netgear Nighthawk AC 2600 router?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Getting ready to make the switch to streaming tv. I bought the router above yesterday, but was busy today, and haven't started on the router yet. I've had an old Netgear n600 almost as long as I've been posting on the dog, but it doesn't have enough reach to get to our bedroom and have enough internet speed to be sure I won't experience buffering. Oddly enough the front tv is clocking about 55 Mbps on my phone. The bedroom is almost straight across from it, but has a pantry between the tv and the router. Sometimes I get about 12 Mbps which would be plenty, but sometimes not even half that. I'm hoping the new router will boost the range, that's what it's supposed to do. Also would anyone know if the D-link wifi adapter I have on my computer that I've been using with the n600 will work with a new router. I don't see why not, it's recognizing other networks through my computer (momma's will be hardwired) in the neighborhood, but I may not be understanding what's going on there.

Thanks for any input you might offer. If you don't have anything like this, I apologize for the thread though I think it's at least as interesting as the foot stinker thread.

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use a Black & Decker, so I’m no help.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

I’ve always liked Netgear products. I’m currently using their Orbi system, a router plus two satellites. Getting excellent coverage everywhere in my house.

the brand of adapter on your computer shouldn’t matter. Most important factor is going to be your internet connection speed.

if you have issues with Wi-Fi range you can also try using an IP over Powerline adapter to get a hardwire connection between the router and the TV.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

Not really a fan of Netgear, or Orbi (installed Orbi on two separate jobs recently). Ubiquiti Amplifi is a much simpler and better performing solution for the cash.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You mean like this one...

[​IMG]

No.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've become partial to Ubiquiti for SOHO (small office, home office). They're a firm who makes enterprise stuff also having a SOHO line and other affordable network gear with strong features and easy management. Their WiFi radios are very strong and the design makes it easy to tune your meshed WiFi performance. In addition they have a really nice schema where your home network is either your VPN or easy to reach VPN.

Think of the Ubuiti Amplifi line as easy to work with and affordable pro-grade tools even if you're not a pro.

This reads like you might have a mix of older and newer stuff. The Ubiquiti SOHO system I like has a good version of "bandwidth steering". That steers a newer device with 5GHz radio to that superior scenario but still lets an older 2.4 GHz device work.

Unless a small house, I like the 3-back (base and two "meshpoints") for what you describe. Then you tune the meshpoints by moving the antennas on the balls. The app shows your signal strength.

YMMV, but I have to babysit what the c suite and other managers will do in their homes and this is what I have. It's left everyone with their homes a strong WiFi island in the neighborhood and stopped a lot of aggravation.

Ubiquiti being in the enterprise networking space also seems to mean good about software updates and post-sale support.

I believe the Ubiquiti founder and some staff were behind the period when Apple had very good home network gear. It shows relative to the craptacular stuff our c suite residents and managers have bought and ultimately changed out for this.

Edit: I believe the Orbi some of our staff bought and swapped with Amplifi is Netgear. Some reviews criticize the physical look of the Amplifi "meshpoints" but opposed to the sphere, box or ovals others are you move that antenna to tune signal. The app shows your ideal radio performance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

We have the nethear ac1900 nighthawk. Zero issues, works everywhere around the house.

Toto'sDad and e23589 like this.
  8. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

The 1900 works great for us!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Yes it looks like that. Did you mean no you haven't used one, or no don't use one. I have not opened the package yet still doing research. The problem with reviews on the internet is, some are good, some are bad. This is true with almost every conceivable item you can think of.

10. Toto'sDad

Did you have any problem setting it up, and did you use the phone app Netgear suggests downloading? Also, did you notice any improvement in range over whatever you were using before?

11. Toto'sDad

Thanks for the reply, I asked another poster, but I'll ask you too. Any problems setting it up, and did you use the phone app? Did you notice any difference in range from what you were previously using.

12. Toto'sDad

Thank you for your detailed response imwjl!

13. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

Nighthawk AC1900, with the wifi turned off.....used just as a router.

wifi is all Ubiquiti --- with cloud key and 2 AP's (1AP on 1st floor, wired/POE, 1AP on 2nd floor meshed with AP on 1st floor.)...+ a small switch....

Stable and fast.

imwjl and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. imwjl

Wired is even better but wired APs to a switch is not something a lot of SOHO users will do. If you go that route you can even control LED lighting. What you have could also replace that Netgear with one of the Ubiquiti models that has the back to home VPN feature.

Some reviews of the Amplifi line are silly in criticizing the look of the "mesh points" missing the fact they can be aimed/tuned easily as you'd do with separate pro grade antennas with enterprise class gear.

Timing is funny here because I'm scheduled for an advanced wireless admin and tuning class in 7 minutes, and playing phone tag with a department manager and Cisco support to tackle one of our sites having much radio congestion. In a perfect world everything would be the Cisco & Meraki stuff I administer but that is very expensive.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

"an advanced wireless admin and tuning class"

LOL...yea...I run a few AP's with a couple of devices on them.......(Ruckus)

ZD.png

ZD2.png

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

If you want dependable streaming in your house, I'm going to recommend something heftier like the TP-Link AC3150 which can do 3150 mbps. And I've had the N600 before, so I've been there. You need MORE MBPS!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. imwjl

173 APs is complex compared to my 34 but that is a lot for one person if you add up our tech staff relative to company size.

The class was mostly nonsense for me - stuff I have implemented, and as expected for free sort of geared for a not hands on manager to know what current best practices and best products are.

For the problems at hand, I just logged more user error problems, and reminded staff you can't just say "it doesn't work" when we see stuff like that. It seems like the fake news era has a lot of our knives I wish were sharper thinking anything from a manager or that requires learning is nonsense.

That brand has been as spotty as many other department store grade items. Over and over I solve problems and have happier staff with better stuff. So far my experience with Ubiquiti is both products and a company that are better than average including staying on top of patches and vulnerabilities. Some bargains are fine for more advanced users but I also consider overall quality and the support when the owner might not have strong tech skills.

18. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I did not use the phone app only because we don't have smart phones. No problems setting it up, just followed directions. Anymore when I get something new, I go the the youtube and watch other idiots do it. Its helpful if the actual manufacturer posts videos about thier stuff. As far as range goes no issues. I can go to my mail box a hundred feet (tablet) away and its still connected.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Thanks don71, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've got it unboxed, but wife is working on something on the net, as soon as she finishes I'm going to start on my project. I've got almost fourteen days left to return it, if it doesn't work out I can always get something else. Since it's here in the house, I'm gonna give it a shot.

20. Toto'sDad

After reading all the reviews on the net, about the Netgear router I had purchased, I had kind of gotten skittish on installing same, and posted for advice here on the BD. You guys came through as usual. I had to wait until my wife was finished with what she was doing, but eventually she finished up, and I installed the router. I used the little quick start guide, and followed the instructions that popped up on the screen. I installed it from momma's computer because that one is hard wired to the computer and will get on the net whether the router is hooked up or not. I first checked to see if that were true, then hooked the router up again, and I was in business. Everything worked like a champ, the router recognized the D-Link wifi adapter from my old router, and I got my computer back online. I also had to get momma's printer back online, so I could print out my info page. I got both phones working, next step is the streaming to the televisions.

By the way, don't know what happened, but after hooking up the new router, I got an improvement on my computer's download speed of about 20 Mbps. I used my phone to check the speed of the television and it was way more than adequate, around 75 Mbps. The living room tv location jumped up to over a hundred Mbps. So we should be good to go on streaming which I also don't know anything about, but I'm doing okay for a 76 year old guy from a sharecropper's farm in north Alabama. I know the folks on Hulu will be willing to help me, 'cause they want the business. Just got the orders from momma to quit fooling with the computer, because it's time to take Alex for a walk. I'm wearing my cargoes, and am good to go!

Thank you one and all, I'm a happy camper right now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.