Anyone here plays their tele with the ashtray on?

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I keep a bunch of guitar picks in an ashtray nearby while I play my Tele. Does that count? :D

LOL!!! I'm actually thinking about using my covers as ash trays out in my workshop... you know... for that special bit of mojo on em ;)

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
I have found that on a clean setting, if you play fingerstyle without a pick and use the bridge pickup the tele has a very pleasant ringing resonance with the ashtray plate on.

Am I the only one that does this?

Yes I use the ashtray 100% of the time! It is the thing I like most about the Telecaster. My whole style is about being able to anchor over the picking area without contacting the strings. The ashtray makes things so comfortable. I can do it on an uncovered bridge but not without something scratching me.

Main guitar uses a Gotoh 12 string bridge, so Jazz Bass ashtray on this one:
CyrusPirehPhoto2-tele9.jpg

And I swapped bridges to be able to use the ashtray on my Squier:
Tele6.jpg

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Setting aside the issue of palm muting, I get really tired of hearing people whine about "ice pick" bridge pickups. Leo designed the Tele to be played with the bridge pickup under a metal cover, and they sound much smoother and more refined when you don't take off parts that were intended to be there.

But . . . . can palm muting be set aside?

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
They look cool, but my Tele didn’t have one when I acquired it. I don’t think I could adapt to it very well, since my palm is almost always on the bridge.

Chicken Curry

Tele-Meister
I do and I love it. Mainly because it makes the bridge pickup sound fuller and less harsh. I play it on my 50's AO because that already has a very good bridge pickup sound, it's overwound and hotter than typical teles, which further adds to a full fat sounding bridge. It's a match made in heaven.

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Gets in the way. Last time it was on the guitar was for my avatar pic & that’s quite a while back!

Larry Mal

Tele-Meister
I think some people here might not be realizing that the cover is shielding for the pickup, and it's not just decorative or to protect the bridge. Between the ashtray cover, the cover on the neck pickup, and the metal cover over the controls, the Telecaster was actually a pretty well shielded instrument.

So, that's what Leo was going for there, and he got it.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
My MIM Telecaster received a vintage bridge with ashtray cover when I swapped the pickups to Nocasters. I’ve always loved the look. And I rarely, if ever, palm mute.
D68EC8C2-4397-4F0D-9C02-7819CEFACE0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Five Aces

Tele-Meister
Definately with the cover on!

I like the look of the early Teles and originally started using it because I had a habit of resting on the bridge weather I palm muted or not. So I started to use the cover to force me to quit picking right on top of the bridge pickup! I get a more articulate playing and a much better sound weather I use my pick or my fingers. It actually makes you play it more like an acoustic guitar and I feel it's improved my versatility!

Hey.... for those moments when you just gotta have it muted, or need that ice pick bridge sound, you can easily pop off the cover for that song!

Play on....

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
Three tele's, no ash trays....lost 'em all. Absolutely no clue where they are.
I remember putting one of for maybe 10 minutes or so....took it off....never to be seen again.

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Real US covers from the '60s are worth money, I think. Maybe someone will write a book on the tiny changes in cover shape and metal recipe over the years.

Frankentronics

TDPRI Member

Yeah, palm muting is a must for me and the ashtray cover makes it difficult (if not impossible) to do...

I've always been wondering how people deal with the protruding height adjustment screws, when palm muting. When I set up guitars I always take the time to tilt the neck, to drive those screws into the saddles as best as I can.

I wonder if the cover was invented to hide those protruding screws, so they don't scratch the hand.

gaddis

Tele-Afflicted
I have found that on a clean setting, if you play fingerstyle without a pick and use the bridge pickup the tele has a very pleasant ringing resonance with the ashtray plate on.

When I got my first Tele in 1968, it came with an ashtray. I used it because there was no internet to tell me it was wrong. I eventually ditched it of course, to allow palm muting.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't have any trouble palm muting with the cover on. I just move my palm further north. What you can't do is pick right at the bridge - partly the reason for the mellower tone when picked farther north.

jfinester

TDPRI Member

I’ve never done it—it would interfere with right-hand muting. I’d try it, and I’ve got Teles, but I don’t have any bridge covers! When I first switched from Gibsons to Fenders, around 1971, I got a ‘62 Strat (wish I still had it!) and played it with the cover on until I got used to the much lower bridge position relative to the ‘67 SG I’d had before. Totally changed my right-hand positioning.

dougbgt6

TDPRI Member
I used to rest the heel of my hand on both my strat and tele bridges, which was uncomfortable. So I bought ashtray covers for both and glad I did.

I've recently put together another tele but it has the very modern bridge design and I can rest my hand without pain! Of the two teles the original is the prettiest. The ash tray gives it simple lines, all you see is red, chrome and white pearl. I even got a "chrome" knob for the switch, how sad is that!

Doug

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I've always been wondering how people deal with the protruding height adjustment screws, when palm muting. When I set up guitars I always take the time to tilt the neck, to drive those screws into the saddles as best as I can.

I wonder if the cover was invented to hide those protruding screws, so they don't scratch the hand.

I just buy short screws - whether I use the ashtray or not.