Anyone Here Mod A Boss Overdrive/Distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JeffBlue, Feb 23, 2015.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I had gotten a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal and I am not really liking the tone as it is. I found a detailed list of capacitor changes that give the pedal more of a Marshall'esque tone. Has anyone done a mod on a Boss pedal? Would there be an advantage to using orange drops? And is there any direct alternative replacement op-amps? :idea:Thanks.

2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I don't think the brand of capacitors matters as much as using caps that are roughly the same physical size and type as the ones you'll be replacing with the new values. Boss pedals typically use film, electrolytic, and ceramic caps. Small Bear Electronics specializes in pedal parts and is a good source for someone new to the game.

If you want to try different op-amps, install a socket. This will allow you to try as many as you want without wearing out the circuit board.

3. Johnnyseven

Johnnyseven TDPRI Member

A long time lurker but this is my first post on TDPRI!

I once had a Boss OS2 modded by a company over here in the UK called Pedalmods UK. The mod made the pedal sounds loads better, it also reduced the noise it put out - it was still pretty noisy though. I loved the sound of the pedal when I used to play a jazzmaster, but it fell out of favour after I got my tele. Nowadays I prefer the old ProCo Turbo Rats with the CTS pots. I think if you google Boss OS2 mods you should be able to find some info.

4. Johnnyseven

Johnnyseven TDPRI Member

I think a lot of modders of Boss pedals just replace the cheap components that Boss use with higher quality ones, you could try that as a start.

5. ggiles

ggiles Tele-Meister

.... or just sell it and get an OD-3.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes.

7. Johnnyseven

Johnnyseven TDPRI Member

I third that idea!

The OD3 is a great pedal, don't ever mod it though - I did and it sounded worse than stock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.