Anyone here have a Roland JC-60?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Craig Williams, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

I went and picked on up this morning. $250 mint condition. This one is actually the RP model, apparently Roland / Pioneer speaker. Not sure if it was a premium model or not?

Wow. I was already talking myself out of buying it before I got there. Thought it would have hum / noise or other issues. Must be 45 year old. My god what a lush sound! and that was before I turned the Chorus on. It is very articulate and clear, but has the smoothness of a valve amp. My main amp Super Reverb.
    Very loud too.

The only downside is it is nearly the size of a twin and must be close to the weight of one too, definitely not a grab and go amp. Truly blown away by this amp so far and apparently still very serviceable.

Like to hear of others experiences

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    superjam144 likes this.
  2. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

JC60, 1 x 12" speaker, mid late '70's version with the chrome corners / plastic corners early '80's? Some had an extension speaker output for stereo chorus?

JC120 is the best version if you've got a roadie / room in a large car, the JC60 or JC50 ,or the 2 x 10" versions JC77 / JC85 are ideal portable amps for smaller gigs.

There was a 4 speaker version JC160, not sure if 10"'s or 12"s?

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Would love a Roland JC . you got quite a deal there .

gimmeatele likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought about buying the 60. The 120 was too big. Roland is bulletproof stuff. But yeah, so damn heavy. I think it's the mdf or particle board cab. So the 60 wasn't light either. I bought a little AC40 acoustic Roland instead. 2 x 6" speakers I think

gimmeatele likes this.
  5. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

My first giggable amp was a JC-55 that I bought in 1990. I still have it and use it, along with the myriad JC-120s I've used in rehearsal studios or as a backline rental.

Loud, dependable and a great pedal platform.

Here's my tip: use the low gain input, keep the hi and lo eq pots at 0, dial in the mids, then use hi and lo to fine tune.

If you're not using pedals, the low gain input makes that awful distortion usable up to about 11 o'clock, more like a compressor/fat switch.

Try it. YMMV.

6. Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse TDPRI Member

I picked up a dead JC120, thinking to flip it after fixing it. Nope, still have it. :) It just sounds too good to part with. It's too loud by far, but even with the volume at 1, it sounds so sweet. That clean sound. And that stereo vib/chorus! Mmmm. :D I wouldn't mind downsizing to a JC40, but since I don't haul it around I'm not really motivated to get rid of what I got.

7. Fredhead59

Fredhead59 TDPRI Member

Had one,had to get the hum and crackle fixed. I had been wanting one since the '70s. Didn't have it long. I sold it due to being disappointed in it.

8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a JC-77 for a few years. It was fine but I never missed it after I sold it. I liked the 120 better, but I had neither the budget, nor the desire to carry that much weight at the time. The 120 was noticeably more full sounding in the store, to my ears, and the 77 always sounded a bit thin at home. But it did sit in a band mix really well, which is how I used it for those years.

Great deal you got there - $250 for a working 60 is a steal, and aside from not being stereo, I would guess it sounds as good as the 120. Congrats!

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I played a new one recently and got similar impressions. Been a tube guy since the 90s too. They are nice amplifiers.

10. Craig Williams

Yeah that's the one. And this one definitely not a grab and go. Surprisingly large and heavy. Have it in front of my Super Reverb now and its about 8" lower but as wide. I'd say Fender twin size. And specs say 20kg, dunno if Im getting old or not but feels like 30-40kg to me

11. Craig Williams

I can see the grain in this at the bottom of the amp behind the speaker so definitely thick ply I would say

12. Craig Williams

Thanks I'll try that for sure. The EQ is very useable I noticed

13. Craig Williams

I must admit I did get a surprise how good it was, even without the Chorus on. With a single speaker I was expecting it to lose that JC sparkle but to my ears not a lot of difference. Mine has the RP speaker in it. Not sure how much difference that makes

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. El Tele Lobo

Anyone have the JC 40? Is it significantly lighter?

15. Craig Williams

From the specs 16kg and nearly 24" (600mm) wide so still a substantial beast if not a little lighter. Build must a lot lighter as my single 12" 20kg and I suspect the 2 x 10s would be heavier than my 12" speaker

16. El Tele Lobo

Huh. Don’t they have a single speaker version?

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is just a little pipsqueak of the bunch, but it has the same solid build quality, great sound, and effects (love the 'JC Clean' model, clean or with an OD) and it does have a Line OUT. Great apartment amp!

These Roland amps are all well-thought out, and easy to operate

20210212_191146.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    El Tele Lobo and trancedental like this.
  18. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

20Kg / 44Ilbs, around the same size & weight as a Deluxe Reverb. :cool:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/569808/Roland-Jc-60.html

The JC50 was slightly less weight 4 Ilbs & a couple of inches shorter.

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/JC-50_OM.pdf

I had 4 different ones, the pair above, started with the JC120 & last one was JC77 2 x 10", I bought it off Judie Tzuke's guitar player. I should have kept it! :confused:

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/JC-55_77_OM.pdf

That one was 41ilbs but a bit wider than the JC60 / JC50. :D

19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Happy amp day to you! I guess I didn't realize how heavy the 60 was. We had 2 JC120's in our backline collection in my soundco days. In Anvil cases they were a 2-man lift.

20. Craig Williams

Not sure mate I only seen the 2 x 10. One sold here yesterday in about 1 hour. Fairly high price too $520 (I live in Thailand). All the young guys here are mad on pedalboards and amp sims and love these because of the stereo in at the front and effects return. use stereo out from Line 6 etc units

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.