Anyone here go against/disregard doctor’s advice/prescription ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I discussed this in depth with my primary. He is also a friend . When I decided to manage my diabetes with a combo of once a day insulin and diet and exercise. He said we could try but people rarely listen and follow through. I did follow through and he was amazed at what we accomplished. I do however have some pretty serious self control and discipline.

I think you can do it! But YOU are responsible for it’s succes or failure!

I’m pulling for you !

Harry Styron and telemnemonics like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What tangled webs we weave!

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

oh man, was chilling today for a change,,lol...over 225 doctor visits since oct 2016 accident..most are quacks..and do not use the 2 ears they are given..they know it all.some, dangerous results have happened..then we do have a few excellent ones..they are just doctor's who chose that line of work..mere humans like the rest of us..

4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was diagnosed with Grave Disease about 6yr's ago, the Dr. decided to put me on a drug that was spawned from Satan himself!!

The drug he prescribed was Prednisone, and told me to watch what I ate, because you could gain weight on this Medication. He missed a few more key problems I might run into!!!!!

The one drug, I was sure that I was going to lose it on, and kill somebody, or get myself hurt. It turned me into somebody I had never known I was capable of being.
    Got off that stuff against the Dr.s wishes, and never went back to him. I still have Graves, but dealing with it Drug Free!!:)

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Now that is something I might be interested in, except I don't want to be picthin a tent all day:lol::lol::D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's a sad state but many docs do indeed feel that patients are unable to make changes when their lifestyles are self harming.
    At the same time, one can be pink slipped into a psych ward if deemed by intake docs to be a danger to themselves or others.

So where is the failing, that has so many people harming themselves with poor diet and inactivity?
    (This is not to say that some don't have medical problems that go beyond diet and exercise, more to note that we have an epidemic of diet and lifestyle induced health problems on a scale greater than any disease)

Is it possible that we have a problem with widespread assumption that we have little or no ability to control ourselves?
    Is it possible that a community that assumed that we are able to make changes would show a higher incidence of personal change when faced with grave consequences?

IOW, are docs harming patients by assuming they will continue any and all self harming behavior, therefore the last resort is the first line of defense?

We have the double edged sword though, where shaming is frowned upon, and it's hard to place responsibility on the patient without implying that they are at fault, since we associate fault with inevitable shame.

Fault is a basic component of being human.
    I'm not sure shame comes from withing though, it may take a society to tell us that having faults is something to be ashamed of.

IME it is hard to take action toward change when saddled with shame about our faulty condition. Shame is the belief that our faults are our core, as opposed to being our habit or our mistake.
    If I am shameful, how can I change when at my core I am bad?
    Shame is self propagating and self supporting.

Whereas if I am at fault, then I have the option of changing, because fault can be corrected, while being rotten at the core cannot.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  7. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not all BP is fixable by diet and exercise. There is a huge genetic component with blood pressure and heart disease, and you could do everything right, but still have high blood pressure.

Do not get medical advice from Google.

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Maybe you could try some herbs before taking pills. I ve never tried those, but that s probably the way i d go before taking pills. Here you ve got machines which takes your blood pressure at the pharmacist for a very small price. So i d try the herbs, and taking my blood pressure for 1 or 2 weeks to see if the herbs work or not.

[​IMG]

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

so did we learn anything from all these responses?

JayFreddy and MilwMark like this.
  10. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Personally, I feel like we need to get past the fault label and move back to personal responsibility. Get rid of shame and give folks room to make mistakes but continue to offer help in becoming personally responsible again. Not doing things for them, but giving them the wherewithal to manage themselves.

Of course I also realize that I’m probably just setting myself up for disappointment :)

bender66, telemnemonics and jhundt like this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think the vast majority are honest, and the issue with pharma influence is that few other references post any reliable data. So, that's what's in the dr's toolbox. Varying from it can get you in trouble if the outcome isn't good - there's a medical malpractice attorney around every corner.

12. bftfender

[
    [​IMG]

13. bftfender

mt friend is a drug rep..its all $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ driven..what they pushin

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Indeed, but a lot of the drugs actually do work well.....notably, blood pressure medication.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

See that question will be asked on my follow up visit Two weeks from today. It was such a huge exchange of information because I was a brand new patient of his so I just kind of blew off actually even questioning his prescribing me this medication.

HBP meds ? If it turns out I need them beyond this 35 year-old doc’s opinion ? Sure. I’ll take them.

Did I mention he was a DO ?

Which for me, with my bad back, means he’s a medical Doctor who won’t paralyze you like every third chiropractor will .

(Chiropractors = witch doctors that only lack a big cook pot...)

Statins ? Nope. Worked on a cardiologist’s kitchen and he set me straight on that crap .

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I used to be like that, for years I didn't see the need to take BP medication. My BP wasn't high by any stretch of the imagination and I enjoyed doing the, don't want, don't need, won't take routine.

Today I had another cardiac rehab session.

Today I took my BP meds like a good little boy together with all the others I'm now on for life.

I'm past ignoring medical advice.

17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

re: the herbs comment above. Dr. Drew has a comment about "natural drugs" that claim to have no side effects. They generally don't because they don't do anything therapeutic.

When herbs, etc, are actually effective, they can also have side effects, interactions and be dangerous.

I figured that my testosterone is dropping as I trend toward my mid 40s. It probably is. When i looked up the natural "boosters", some of them have cases of causing liver function problems/liver damage, even though they're "natural".

The other issue is downregulation (saying this after coming off of a master downregulating drug that bailed me out of the atenolol issue mentioned above). Herbs, etc, that work may cause downregulation which will lead to withdrawal and potentially being permanently worse off after you take them. Esp. herbs/OTC medications that affect neurotransmitters, acetylcholine (memory-related) or hormones.

I'd speculate there are a lot of people running around with early dementia because they think it's safe to take diphenhydramine long term. It's only OTC here in the states because it's non-addictive, but it's a level III anticholinergic drug that can trigger dementia. My mother has early stages of dementia. When I was going through my trials and tribulations with migraines and then dealing with the effects of a bad reaction, she told me I was a fool, and that I should just take tylenol PM and all would be fine if I went on a diet and slept better.

She took it for years to avoid the doctor, and she's got pretty severe memory issues now. I pointed it out to her at the time, she didn't like my advice. Eventually stumbled upon the information again on her own through bro-science blogs and stopped taking it, but the damage is done. She also has no sense of smell because she ignored the instructions on nasal sprays.

Anything that actually works can be unsafe.

Harry Styron and telemnemonics like this.
  18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

The data *does* seem to back up life expectancy increase if you're in certain classes. Just brought that up, because it's hard to really get solid information on anything without really rigorous studies. The population study I linked is far more reliable than short term small-number studies.

19. bftfender

yes they do,,thankfully !! wife had a horrible reaction to one last month..throat closed..face swelled up...they have to watch cross medications these days.way.back when..it was benees & Quaalude and we were all fine

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I started a thread that seems to be mirroring this one somewhat. Mine was merely asking if anyone had ever been diagnosed with a specific ailment, & how they were tested/diagnosed. I got similar responses cautioning not to seek advice here, which wasn't the question. ah well...
    I started to do the same the past year. Looking through my Dr's notes I'm amazed at what they chose to write down. Missing were key symptoms & discussion, etc. I'm pissed that they're not hearing/listening me. At the time I was paying out of pocket & those tests don't come cheap. Throwing money out of the window of a moving vehicle is not my idea of disposable income.

Back to the OP. My issue isn't as challenging as medications. Yet. I haven't got there. But, in the meantime I did change all the diet habits recommended (not by my Dr) & my symptoms have had a major drop. I'll keep that up as well as seeing another Dr and discussing the primary offending source only. I would encourage anyone that has the strength to follow through on diet changes first before starting a pharm program.

Good luck.

telemnemonics and bftfender like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.