Anyone here ever work in a music store or distribution? If so, I have a question.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by gmm52, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

I just ordered and received a used Yamaha THR100HD, sold and shipped by a larger distributor on Reverb. The unit arrived defective. It has a baffling anomaly on high single notes. It manifests as harmonics or overtones, almost like a Hammond organ playing in the background. I can manifest it at will.

I can and will return it, but the box had something peculiar written on masking tape. It says DEMO AS. Now I know what demo stands for, but what does anyone suppose AS might stand for or mean? I'm wondering whether AS means something to those in the retail or distribution side of things.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The part of the masking tape that said "IS" got torn off. The full message was "DEMO AS IS". It means it's a store demo (no duh) and it's sold "as is", which means no warranty, no guarantee, you stuck unless you go Full Karen.

getbent likes this.
  3. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply. I had contemplated that, but curiously the tape doesn't have enough room for the word is because it ends at the right edge of the box. Of course it makes sense now that perhaps the writer simply ran out of room and felt enough of the message was conveyed to those whom it mattered, i.e., staff. Regardless, the amp was sold with a return policy, the vendor has a five star rating and plenty of sales, and I am very tenacious about these things, so I don't anticipate any major problems, but I'll follow up here once I've looked after things.

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

You're certain that the effect is caused by the amp and not by something else in the room, like a ceiling fan, right?

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Demo As Seen or Demo As Sold, ie, yer paize yer money, yer takes yer choice.

Floor demo unit?

6. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

If it was not specifically sold as "as is"..ie: if it was not specifically stated in the purchase / receipt that the unit was sold "as is"... call, get a shipping tag, send it back.

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

And to think I just got a synth pedal so I could do that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.