Anyone here ever had a 50th Wedding Anniversary party thrown for them?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:55 PM.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

It doesn't have to be 50th. If you've had a 50th wedding anniversary party thrown for you... or any other "-th" please feel free to chime in. Also, if you've been on the planning end of one, that would be cool to hear from too. Or if you've attended one that was pretty cool...

My parents' 50th is this summer, and my wife and I are throwing a party for them. It was going to be a surprise, but then my mom asked me directly if we had a date in mind for it, so that they could make sure they were in town. (facepalm)

So now its no longer a surprise.

But what are some cool things to do? We have mom's wedding dress and we're going to have it displayed on a "bodice," next to a photo of her wearing it a few minutes before they were married. And the event will be held in a reception hall at the church where they were actually married, which is sort of cool.

Lots of pictures and such, of course. Cake and refreshments.

Most of all the wedding party are still alive, and will be invited to attend. Dad's best man will be there. Mom's sister was her bride's maid, and she will be there of course.

They drove off in dad's Acapulco Blue, 1969 Mustang Mach 1... which he kept long enough for me to remember it as a kid. Might be cool to find one in the area and pay the owner to park it in the same space in the parking lot during the event... no shoe polish this time, of course.

What else might be cool?

Keep in mind that my folks are pretty conservative people. That's not a political or even social statement - its a statement on their personality types. They are more "I Want to Hold Your Hand" kind of people than, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" ...if that makes sense.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Definitely music of the day and pictures of the day (both personal and general)
    Have folks bring some to lay out
    imho

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

We surprised my folks with a 50th party at the local church. We had a good turn out. The photos were great in that only one person from our family unit couldn't make it. No other photographic opportunity came that close in all these years.

Their favorite surprise gift was a quilt that the girls sewed together and somehow had photos printed on the squares..er blocks. Really neat and very much adored by all.

I don't see any food/deserts mentioned. Also, can someone put together a slide show? Then and now sort of thing. Other than that, sounds like you'll have this covered.

4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

That would involve a woman putting up with me for 50 years, so no. ;-P

I second the motion to have the music of the day, even more specifically, their favorites from that era.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I hosted my parents at my house for their 50th.
    Price difference for the beer keg of generic 'Bud' vs a local-ish brewpub was minor, popular at the party, and recommended. Probably not for a church though.
    We had the food catered ... by ordering with a larger chain restaurant for trays of food, we picked up, and set out on the tables and island in the kitchen. Restaurant bulk store for big bags of salads put in large stainless steel bowls and added dried cherries/etc. Chips the same way. Everyone liked it. Worked great.
    Assembled music on a player and kicked in the auto-ai-dj at more or less background music levels -- people want to talk and catch up.

6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey Tex - My parents are hitting their 50th this year, too!
    Great timing for me!

We started out with a big reception here in town with a band playing oldies (dad's favorite) and love songs (mom's fav). They didn't like that idea.

They decided to go back to the little church in the panhandle where they got married and renew their vows.

When the found out some of their friends weren't gonna make it, they decided not to do it.

So now, they're basically asking us not to throw them a party.

And their extended vacation up and down the eastern seaboard?? They've decided to buy furniture instead.

Good grief.

I'm very interested in doing something for them this year. But I'm gonna have to get creative. I've got high hopes for this thread!!!

I love the idea of the of the dress and the car.
    There's only one pic of my parents wedding - my mom is posing with her flowers and dad is yelling at her to hurry up and get in their '64 mustang. It's been a source of regret in their lives for years.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

My folk are looking at 60 years next year and my sister is getting the ball rolling. We have no idea what to do for them. Like most old folks, "don't fuss over us...". We can't send them anywhere cause they don't like to fly any more. Don't get us anything. Thanks. I'm the only one who has to fly in, but in the end it seems all they really want is for us to be together. I know they're sincere, but that seems a little flat to me. How much does a fireworks show cost? I dunno. It would be neat to have some old C&W star come to meet them.

I'll be waiting for ideas. You guys are pretty sharp.

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When my parents had their 50th, we did a private, family only thing at the family lakehouse.

Around 25 people there, just grown kids and grand- and a couple of great-grandkids.

We did a re-enactment of their wedding, with everyone dressing up and playing a part. We had bride and groom, preacher, drunk uncle, father with a shotgun, crying mother in-law, etc. All fairly embellished (I was the wedding singer).

There was a loose script that we followed, but it went sideways pretty quickly (my sister-in-law had written the script and was frantically trying to keep us on track - she is a small lady, dressed as a nun, trying to do real time direction of a non-rehearsed play!). It was hilarious. My parents sat in a couple of chairs in the back yard and watched the whole thing. We had a really good time and it was cool to have it just for the family. And we did have a pro photographer take a nice family photo., which actually ended up being the only photo we have of the entire family.

When they had their 60th a few years back, we rented out the local Elks club and had an open house in their fairly small home town. Had catered food and a keg, probably had close to 200 people cycled through there throughout the afternoon. No big pomp and circumstance. Had name tags so everyone knew who they were and how they were related.

Another cool thing we did for their 60th was to make a book from Shutterfly that chronicled their lives and all the kids and grandkids. It was a lot of work (I didn't design it, one of my nieces did), and it was like 50 or more pages, but it's a cool memory now that both of my parents have passed. It wasn't cheap (I think I paid close to $150 for my 16" x 16" hard copy), but well worth it in the long run.

Family is pretty important for me (especially since I don't have any kids), and these are big milestones. Time passes by more quickly than you think, and it's worth it to make these memories last a lifetime.

I'm happy to give more info if you want (or even pics).

Cheers,
    Doug

moosie likes this.
  9. ddewerd

@FenderLover

I'm in Texas, but originally from MN. My parents lived in Owatonna and our lake cabin is on Green Lake north of Willmar.

Not that it matters or anything...

Cheers,
    Doug

getbent and FenderLover like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We all went to Vegas for the 50th of my wife's parents. Seemed over the top to me, but I've never wanted to go there, before or since.

11. ddewerd

We decided against music for that exact reason - everyone wanted to talk. But one thing we did do was make a slide show of old pics we had scanned in, and then played them on autocycle on a big TV during the reception at the Elks club. I also had digitized some old 8mm home movies from the late 60's and played them too. No narration or anything, just something for guests to look at and get a good laugh while reminiscing.

Cheers,
    Doug

12. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Planned my parents 60th back in 2009.Just us kids at their home.Lots of photos and a vid too.Was fun.I made up the menu.Had cooking help from my younger brother.Pro chef. I ain't bad either! I love to throw parties : ) I worked on a fishing boat then.Had fresh caught yellowtail to make the cerviche! Lobsters were over 2# each. My folks next one is 71 years!! Wow.It can be done! hehe... I bought everything. Cost was $$$.Loved it.
    Anni party.jpg

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

For my parents, we rented a huge cabin and all of us (my brother, his wife and his three kids, his kids’ spouses and one fiancée, along with my wife and daughter and my oldest nephew’s daughter—the first great-grandchild and my dog). We ate and hiked and ate and played cards and dominoes and board games and watched DVDs at night and had bonfires, went snipe-hunting with the new fiancée of the younger nephew (she took it in stride, and proceeded to get every single one of us back with a prank—even my dad!).

We had a professional photographer come out and take pictures on the trails and at an old abandoned/ruined gas station from the 1930’s. We have only sentimental gifts—they have everything they’ll ever need/want, and it was a wonderful time.

That was six years ago.
    Unfortunately...It probably won’t happen again. Shortly thereafter, my brother and his wife decided to become giant rhino turds and are not on good terms with my folks (or me) right now.

Tomorrow is their 56th anniversary and I don’t even know what to do for them.

14. ddewerd

[QUOTE="Fiesta Red, post: 962414]

Tomorrow is their 56th anniversary and I don’t even know what to do for them.[/QUOTE]

A great gift is simply the gift of your time. My parents also had pretty much everything they needed, so buying gifts later in life was a challenge.

It's not the things, it's the experiences. And just being there, spending time, talking, laughing, and showing that you care is a great gift.

Grab some Chinese takeout or a pizza and a bottle of wine and hang out around the kitchen table.

They would probably appreciate it more than you think.

Cheers,
    Doug

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Where did they go on their honeymoon? Maybe you can theme the food around the place they went and the food they ate while they were there.

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

3 years to go. We're open to anyone wanting to throw us one. hint hint.

We intend to renew our vows. I'm not sure if it is binding or not.
    My brother-in-law had there's at the church and did the same with a reception afterwards. Had lots of pictures and played music from their year.
    I think 50 is a big deal. Looking forward to it.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nah, apparently my exes didn't sign on for the 50 year plan.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Good for you, Bruce, for doing this. It will be a blessing to them, but you'll be blessed in the doing of it yourself. I never got the chance to do something like this for my parents; my Dad died of lymphoma in October of 1989, he was just 57. Mom and Dad had been married 38 years.

Lots of good ideas here. The memory quilt idea is a great one. I'm going to be checking back on this thread to get ideas and then somehow leak that information to my children. My wife and I celebrate 47 years come April, so our 50th (assuming I live that long), is not that far away.

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Well, there goes my idea of having condoms inflated like balloons and placed in a multi-color arrangement. :D;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.