1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone here build a board using exclusively one brand of pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 4, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I LOVE Keeley stuff. I've used their Canyon delay and reverb and really liked it, but had to sell it to pay bills while in X-ray school. Now that I'm graduated and about to go back to work, I'm thinking about buiiding a board again with something other than cheap mini pedals.

So far, I'm G.A.S.ing for an Aria, a DDR (Drive, Delay and Reverb) and a Verb o Trem (which solves the little problem the DDR has of only being able to use delay OR reverb but not both simultaneously...while adding tremolo...that's like a bonus!). I could definitely see grabbing a Dyno My Roto for kicks and maybe even a Katana to put in front of everything. I'm not sure I could part with my Joyo d-Seed delay (maybe keep it for a few preset and modulated delays) and but I'm not married to my Nux Horseman or JHS Prestige. It's clearly looking like a Keeley-dominant board, if not an exclusive one.

I love Robert's designs and they are obviously high-quality builds...made in America too, so they tick all my boxes...pardon the pun.

What about you guys? Anyone have a brand-exclusive pedalboard? I expect to see at least one of you with all Boss stuff, if nothing else. Let's see 'em!

Terrygh1949 and tah1962 like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve had a tc board. And all but one of my boards has at least one boss... I think I used a fuzz face on an otherwise all boss rig for a while

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Way back in the late 80s I had one of the plastic Boss BCB-6 pedal boards with all Boss pedals (BF2, SD1, CS1, PH2, DS1 and the power supply pedal, if I recall correctly) . Since then it's been a large mix of brands.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 here. :)

Churchjack and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It's been tempting, and as OCD as I can be about some details being standardized, I would love the idea of having all Keeley or BOSS or MXR pedals.

But I've painted myself into a corner with certain go-to pedals (the Mel9 for instance, a talk-box, and some locally-made boutique pedals that I love), and so it is what it is.

:oops:

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't use a big pedalboard 4-5 pedals max, but except for my overdrive pedals, which I like to fool around with, EVERYTHING else is just BOSS.

It was never a conscious decision, so much as these were the pedals I bought over 20 years ago now, and they just don't die!
    ( and I've never thought of upgrading/or been dissatisfied with what I'm hearing)

I use the POWER IN Jack of the TU-2 Tuner for my 1-Spot adapter, and the POWER OUT jack to daisy chain to:

(usually) a Blues Driver > Chorus Ensemble (on a 'fake Leslie" setting) or Boss Tremolo > DD-3 Digital Delay
    and that's it.

7. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I haven't built one, but as long as my amp has a decent spring reverb, I could easily get away with an all-Xotic board:

BB Preamp > SL Drive > SP Compressor > EP Booster

Big-ez and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. Little Jay

Little Jay Tele-Meister

Well maybe not one brand, but since they're all $20 mini pedals ordered from AliExpress they might all come from the same factory :)

[​IMG]

And in case you are wondering: they sound really good! The quality is - especially condsidering the price - outstanding. The only one with a slight issue is the EQ, that sometimes gives a loud "POP" when switched on.

But believe it or not, I use this board in a professional group touring theatres with an Amy Winehouse tribute band!

[​IMG]

9. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

I’ve been really considering putting together an Ibanez 9-series board. I have a weird affinity for those little boxes.

10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I could be fine with all Boss, TC, VFE, Ibanez to name a few. I could also eat 50 hotdogs. Not going to try to do either one though.

I think I would go that route if I was a working gig player. No one cares from the other side of the stage.

But I am a hobby player, having fun tinkering.

11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Prescription Electronics. Especially the Germ and the Yardbox.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to mention: another great brand to do this with is Strymon. The Strymon Flint is a great pedal, and an awesome starting point (their others are all great too).

13. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

When they were all I could afford / all locally available I had a board with all Boss pedals and a Crybaby off to the side. When Digitech joined the world of available affordable pedals I added a few of them to the Boss board. I stayed under $500 total for my pedal board for probably 20 years.

When money was no longer a consideration and the internet came into being with product offerings from all over the world I lost all brand loyalty. Today I buy / use on my pedal board whatever is, (in my opinion) the best example of a specific effect. Depending on which combination of pedals I select from my current stable my board might sport anywhere from $1500 to $3000 worth of pedals. OCD. Perfectionism. Stupidity. They all play a roll. If the board has too high of a slant I also have to deal with a fear of height.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I never really "built" a pedal board, but I have done plenty of gigs with just Boss pedals in one of those portable pedal suitcases.

Zoot Zoot and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I've looked at that EQ pedal several times on Amazon but never pulled the trigger. The size is perfect and it includes a level control...I haven't seen anything comparable from bigger name pedal brands.

What are your thoughts on this pedal's transparency? My only prerequisite for an EQ is that it doesn't color the tone or leave an artifact in any way. I use them as an 'always on' pedal so the pop that you describe isn't a concern for me.

Little Jay likes this.
  16. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

20200915_182821.jpg

I thought about having a board of Ibanez Tone-Lok -series pedals with this one. No reverb or looper in the series so I had to settle with this set up. I tried another DE7 instead of the Artec, but there was a noise issue. Too many buffers I guess. Now I have two Catalinbread drive pedals first in the chain. I use this for ambient stuff with a volume pedal before the delays.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I find that I can't be monogamous to any one vendor for any type of guitar gear, let alone doing that with just pedals.

Some vendors are simply known for having specific iconic and legendary pedals, but I don't know of one who's done that for every pedal type.

I also tend to like some variation with my different pedalboards, so something like a delay pedal will be similar on both, but one will be from Vendor A (in my case MXR), while the other is from Vendor B (in my case Seymour Duncan).

I also simply like experimenting with, and to some degree collecting pedals, and restricting to just one or a few different vendors prevents such experimentation.

Maybe the best parallel that I've found is with pickups. Depending on the guitar, I might choose to go with DiMarzio, GFS, Seymour Duncan, Fender, Tonerider, or Bootstrap. It's also entirely possible that I'll even mix different vendors' stuff on the same guitar, and that's typically what you'll find in most of my guitars.

I also believe in specialization, and prefer some vendors who focus on just some types of pedals, as opposed to having a comprehensive line of all types. So I'd never expect someone like Paul C to offer a chorus or delay pedal, and that's fine, because his OD and boost designs are more appealing (to me) than what some other vendors offer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    SparkleFart and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen a board not with only one brand but with one pedal case (modded inside).

I'll go rustle up the video... An entire board full of Metal Zones!

19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

If Boss made their own version of a Rat...I totally could. ;)

20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. For kicks sometime, try to run the delay into the trem and set your trem for a ramp up mode, if it has one...then synchronize it with your delay...very cool effect. I'm surprised no one has made a delay/trem combo pedal yet (looking at YOU, Robert Keeley!).

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.