Anyone here been to the Mayo Clinic?

Addnine

Tele-Holic
Major medical centers, particularly "teaching hospitals," are a mixed blessing. Lots of resources, but mixed in quality, and the most godawfullest g-----d bureaucratic buckpassinbg horse----t imagineable. (Hope I'm being clear). I live near one affiliated with a fancy college (one which I attended). There's no real alternative, so you just have to fight and bang and cajole until you find someone competent. They're there...somewhere. Then six months later your good doc moves on, and you start all over, weeding your way through the newbies and the burnouts.

Chester P Squier

Tele-Afflicted
Haven't been to the Mayo Clinic, but the Cleveland Clinic is very similar. They took great care of my wife when she had some difficult issues a few years ago. The doctors and nurses were great. My only knock on them is that they are a huge bureaucracy that was very difficult to navigate. Making a phone call and actually talking to the right person could be an all day adventure. My wife's surgeon gave us her personal cell phone number. I don't think we were special, it was her standard practice to help her patients navigate the system.

I am having a knee replacement done in a couple weeks. Since it is a routine thing, I chose to avoid the major hospitals here (Cleveland also has University Hospitals, which is also very good). Instead I went with a specialty orthopedic clinic. It is big for an orthopedic group, but tiny in comparison to the Clinic. My appointments are fast and efficient. I can see the doctor, get xrays, get fitted for a brace, schedule surgery and be out the door in less than an hour. It takes that long to park and find the doctors office at the Cleveland Clinic.

I've had two good friends travel to the Cleveland Clinic all the way from SE Louisiana just recently. And both appear to be better off than they were before. The Cleveland Clinic has a great reputation.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I was. I had polio as an infant. I have no memories of course or even knowledge what they did.

graybeard65

Tele-Meister
I go there nearly every day - they are my employer as well as my medical care provider.

while I appreciate @Addnine and their viewpoint, mine is vastly different. I see the miracles every day, and I hear the patients and families praise the staff and resources we have. The care provided in the units that I work in (cardiac intensive care, cardiac post-surgical ICU, and cardiac transplant and ECMO ICU’s) is top-notch, and our survival rates are among the best in the world - annually we’re ranked as the number one hospital in the US in several categories - and as a teaching hospital, I think we attract compassionate, motivated, exceptionally bright folks.

I am honored and blessed to work where I do, and I thank God every day that I get to be a part of the team.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I go there nearly every day - they are my employer as well as my medical care provider.

while I appreciate @Addnine and their viewpoint, mine is vastly different. I see the miracles every day, and I hear the patients and families praise the staff and resources we have. The care provided in the units that I work in (cardiac intensive care, cardiac post-surgical ICU, and cardiac transplant and ECMO ICU’s) is top-notch, and our survival rates are among the best in the world - annually we’re ranked as the number one hospital in the US in several categories - and as a teaching hospital, I think we attract compassionate, motivated, exceptionally bright folks.

I am honored and blessed to work where I do, and I thank God every day that I get to be a part of the team.
Thank you greybeard! I truly appreciate you and your colleges!

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Along with John-Hopkins and a few others here in the USA, the Mayo Clinic is top shelf if you're looking for help.

I've never been inside, but from the outside it's quite impressive.

(The one in Rochester, MN)
Nothing like it.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I was there for a month in 2006, having been sent there by my university hospital. I was there with an onset of Guillain-Barre (auto-immune neurological disorder). By the time I got there, my condition was appearing to be chronic. It was called CIDP.

I was majorly paralyzed and it was starting to affect my face. I was already starting to drool, and was expecting my eyes to stay open (it looks freaky seeing someone with their eyes wide open, giving a startled look).

A doctor there had written the book on the illness, and several other docs specialized in it, too. Their approach was to hit it hard, with daily doses of IVIG (sort of a distilled plasma). In my experience, research hospitals hired them to do hospital work half time, while the other work was supported by grants. The docs don't actually get the money for themselves. Rather, they use the money to "buy out" half of their contract in order to do research. Also, 50% of the grant goes to the institution where they work.

Basically, the vibe there was to move aggressively with the treatment. When I left, my upper body was in fairly good shape, but I still had (and have) paralysis in the legs and feet. I still use a cane when I go out, for balance. I managed to continue teaching for about 15 years, but it was very painful. I got around with a combination of canes, walkers, and a wheelchair. Just last night, my wife thought I might use the wheelchair at home, to alleviate the neurological pain that still plagues me. It is a very weird way to live, being in pain 24/7.

While laying around in the hospital, I started playing blues guitar solos in my mind. (I had played guitar professionally for 10 years, but switched to composition for the remainder of my career.) I felt that getting a Telecaster, building a 5f1 from a kit, and re-learning to play. When you are in chronic pain, a little blues guitar acts as a cushion to my awareness of pain, which today is still at the front of my mind.

I feel extremely fortunate to be able to interact with pain and not let it send me to bed for relief. Some of my compadres in my area were there with longterm neuro probs that made a few look like hell. Just a living hell for them. Others were there as a result of a horrible accident. When all of us were doing physical therapy, we would meet in a holding pen (ha-ha) and our therapists would come get us. There was no talking and no eye contact among us. Some had amputations or gruesome scars on their head. One girl was there, having fallen of a 2-story balcony. Instant paralysis below the waist.

I have a lot of respect for these folks who lives were suddenly changed forever. Also had deep respect for the families who were supporting them. Their lives would be changed forever, as well.

I couldn't have asked for better care and aggressive treatments at Mayo.

Well, after sitting up writing this post, some troublesome pain areas have been ramping up. The best thing to do then, is to get into bed with a comforter. That's where I'm headed now.

I try not to post so often about my battles with pain. A forum member a few years ago really slapped me down for posting about my illness. So, mum's the word, guys.

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
Wow, another person here with a liver transplant. Hope your doing well. Had mine done at the local teaching hospital here in Utah. Hang in there, you got this.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I'm from Minnesota... Prince, Randy Moss, and The Mayo Clinic are all we have/had lol :D.

kevin mchale, bob dylan, harmon killebrew, tony oliva, joe kapp, the purple people eaters, gary louris, and about a thousand other completely righteous things about Minn.

My dad spent about 8 months at the mayo clinic when I was 7. They lied to us that he was on a business trip to Venezuela, but when things got worse, they told us.. then he went in to remission for a couple of years.

I have only nice things to say about them and the city of hope. i did not get to go to the mayo clinic, but I spent a lot of time at the city of hope... just fantastic people doing a lot of great things for families.

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
kevin mchale, bob dylan, harmon killebrew, tony oliva, joe kapp, the purple people eaters, gary louris, and about a thousand other completely righteous things about Minn.

My dad spent about 8 months at the mayo clinic when I was 7. They lied to us that he was on a business trip to Venezuela, but when things got worse, they told us.. then he went in to remission for a couple of years.

I have only nice things to say about them and the city of hope. i did not get to go to the mayo clinic, but I spent a lot of time at the city of hope... just fantastic people doing a lot of great things for families.

There ya go. I got a '65 Twins ball signed by those guys. Joe Kapp is one of my fav Vikings...

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
There ya go. I got a '65 Twins ball signed by those guys. Joe Kapp is one of my fav Vikings...
earl battey is my all time favorite Twin.

Rod Carew is my least favorite.

We had a remainder book of all the games in the 65 season... I learned how to keep score by keeping score of that series... I was 7 (1967) when I learned to keep score. I can remember nearly all of those games although I do not think I saw or heard them.

zoilo versalles was an incredible player too.