Anyone here been inducted into their state or local rock and roll hall of fame?

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
I was notified a couple days ago that a band I played in during the early '80s was being inducted into our state rock and roll hall of fame. At first I thought it was no big deal and all but ignored it. But as it begins to sink in I'm realizing...it is a big deal. I now feel honored and humbled. I haven't played in a rock band since then. I'm now a bluegrass and jazz guitarist. But I'm proud of my rock band history, which began in 1962 when I was 12 years old. I started playing guitar in 1961. I've been a member of several different bands, on and off, over the last 60+ years and it's been a ball. I'm not sure but I might be able to recall enough to write a book. It wouldn't really be that titillating but it might stir enough souls as to be enjoyable to read. OTOH, maybe not. LOL!!

Anyway, just thought I'd share the news. I've only shared it with a few friends and family members so far but their reactions have been surprisingly positive. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised? I very well realize this is not Cleveland nor the authentic Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. But, I've never received a music related award for anything and I'll have to admit it's kind of exciting. The induction will take place over the Labor Day weekend (2023) and I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
I was notified a couple days ago that a band I played in during the early '80s was being inducted into our state rock and roll hall of fame. At first I thought it was no big deal and all but ignored it. But as it begins to soak in I'm realizing...it is a big deal. I now feel honored and humbled. I haven't played in a rock band since then. I'm now a bluegrass and jazz guitarist. But I'm proud of my rock band history, which began in 1962 when I was 12 years old. I started playing guitar in 1961. I've been a member of several different bands, on and off, over the last 60+ years and it's been a ball. I'm not sure but I might be able to recall enough to write a book. It wouldn't really be that titillating but it might stir enough souls as to be enjoyable to read. OTOH, maybe not. LOL!!

Anyway, just thought I'd share the news. I've only shared it with a few friends and family members so far but their reactions have been surprisingly positive. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised? I very well realize this is not Cleveland nor the authentic Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. But, I've never received a music related award for anything and I'll have to admit it's kind of exciting. The induction will take place over the Labor Day weekend (2023) and I'm really looking forward to it.
Congrats, Jumpn'! That is indeed awesome! Write that book, by all means; I'd buy it!
What was your band's name?

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
These halls of fame are frought with problems, and often have no relationship to the entity they seem to represent. Here's a story...

For a long time, I was on the board of my local blues society. We were small as blues societies go, but legit, and affiliated with the Blues Foundation in Memphis, which is an organization with affiliate chapters around the world. They have a Blues Hall of Fame that's also legit. They have a museum you can visit. They have a board and a codified selection process. They have inducted big stars of the blues world and have relationships with them, like Buddy Guy, for instance.

If there's a criticism to be made, it's that it's an exclusive club and you have to be HUGE in the blues world to be inducted. It's not enough to simply have a successful career recording and touring, you have to have been influential, a superstar. Most contemporary Alligator Records artists will not be inducted, for example. They induct a lot of people posthumously.

So, along comes a guy named Peter... something. I can't remember. He registers BluesHallofFame.org and sets up a 501c3. He doesn't have an actual hall or museum and no plans to establish one. You can make a donation, but there's no indication of where the money is going or what it's being used for. His genius, though, was that he appealed to people's vanity. He'd find someone in a locality who he could name an "ambassador" who could set up an induction event and hand out awards. There's an "Albany Blues Hall of Fame" that has no relationship with the city. It's like this all over the world. These "ambassadors" were often not even the top act or organizer in an area, as those people were too busy doing real things. They were often 2nd or 3rd-tier people who needed a boost to their egos.

The Blues Foundation sued him over use of the name. As a Blues Foundation affiliate, we felt it was best not to get involved with him. And then he found someone local to be an "ambassador" and set up an induction gig. There was almost never any selection process, no criteria, no review board... just "we like this person". If they'd accept the award, they were in.

They did it every year or so until it ran out of steam, handing out poorly printed certificates proclaiming so-and-so is a "Great Local Blues Artist," and they'd offer one to damned near anyone who gigged regularly. After all, who's going to turn down an award like that? There are people who are objectively bad musicians that have this award. I was offered the award twice, once for guitar playing because I was a regular at the open mic (I'm not a good player), and once as a writer because I'd written a handful of reviews for local press. I decided that I didn't want to be part of a hall of fame that would have me as a member.

We lost that battle. Plenty of Blues Foundation affiliates have their own little blues halls of fame through this guy and we didn't. All the while, most of our friends and members that were performers have their certificates and still repost them on facebook periodcally.

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
These halls of fame are frought with problems, and often have no relationship to the entity they seem to represent. Here's a story...

For a long time, I was on the board of my local blues society. We were small as blues societies go, but legit, and affiliated with the Blues Foundation in Memphis, which is an organization with affiliate chapters around the world. They have a Blues Hall of Fame that's also legit. They have a museum you can visit. They have a board and a codified selection process. They have inducted big stars of the blues world and have relationships with them, like Buddy Guy, for instance.

If there's a criticism to be made, it's that it's an exclusive club and you have to be HUGE in the blues world to be inducted. It's not enough to simply have a successful career recording and touring, you have to have been influential, a superstar. Most contemporary Alligator Records artists will not be inducted, for example. They induct a lot of people posthumously.

So, along comes a guy named Peter... something. I can't remember. He registers BluesHallofFame.org and sets up a 501c3. He doesn't have an actual hall or museum and no plans to establish one. You can make a donation, but there's no indication of where the money is going or what it's being used for. His genius, though, was that he appealed to people's vanity. He'd find someone in a locality who he could name an "ambassador" who could set up an induction event and hand out awards. There's an "Albany Blues Hall of Fame" that has no relationship with the city. It's like this all over the world. These "ambassadors" were often not even the top act or organizer in an area, as those people were too busy doing real things. They were often 2nd or 3rd-tier people who needed a boost to their egos.

The Blues Foundation sued him over use of the name. As a Blues Foundation affiliate, we felt it was best not to get involved with him. And then he found someone local to be an "ambassador" and set up an induction gig. There was almost never any selection process, no criteria, no review board... just "we like this person". If they'd accept the award, they were in.

They did it every year or so until it ran out of steam, handing out poorly printed certificates proclaiming so-and-so is a "Great Local Blues Artist," and they'd offer one to damned near anyone who gigged regularly. After all, who's going to turn down an award like that? There are people who are objectively bad musicians that have this award. I was offered the award twice, once for guitar playing because I was a regular at the open mic (I'm not a good player), and once as a writer because I'd written a handful of reviews for local press. I decided that I didn't want to be part of a hall of fame that would have me as a member.

We lost that battle. Plenty of Blues Foundation affiliates have their own little blues halls of fame through this guy and we didn't. All the while, most of our friends and members that were performers have their certificates and still repost them on facebook periodcally.
Sheesh! Not good. Since I'm new to this I know very little about our RRHOF so far but from what I've learned it's legit and has been around for quite some time. I've posted a link to the website so anyone who's interested can check it out. They're currently updating and revamping the website and it lists all the inductees and categories. Our band is Rushmore and it's listed under the Band Category. They've also inducted some "big names". That's all I know about it so far. I'll continue checking it out as I go. Sorry things didn't go so well with your blues HOF.

Last edited:

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I know of someone who is in the Maryland Music Hall of Fame.

A nice guy; but a very mediocre player.

I'm guessing that in his youth, he was influential in the music scene around Baltimore (his home).

It's All Good!!!

imo.

grandstick

Tele-Holic
I was inducted into Who's Who in Music 40 years ago. I started life as a classical musician, branching out into Rock, folk, jazz after college.

I can state, in all sincerity, that I have accomplished practically nothing that would garner my membership into any rock/blues HOF.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I won a Madison Area Music Award for "best blues album", with my band "Solar Blues" the first year they had the MAMAs, back before it was a popularity contest/buy your way in thing, and they had an actual critic listener panel judging the entrants

It was a little embarrassing-we were so not a blues band, and we were up against actual blues artists, like Catfish Stevenson

but the album was recorded in my basement, and I wrote most of the songs and I sang/played guitar on all of it, including this track

so I've got that going for me :rolleyes:😆

Last edited:

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was notified a couple days ago that a band I played in during the early '80s was being inducted into our state rock and roll hall of fame. At first I thought it was no big deal and all but ignored it. But as it begins to sink in I'm realizing...it is a big deal. I now feel honored and humbled. I haven't played in a rock band since then. I'm now a bluegrass and jazz guitarist. But I'm proud of my rock band history, which began in 1962 when I was 12 years old. I started playing guitar in 1961. I've been a member of several different bands, on and off, over the last 60+ years and it's been a ball. I'm not sure but I might be able to recall enough to write a book. It wouldn't really be that titillating but it might stir enough souls as to be enjoyable to read. OTOH, maybe not. LOL!!

Congrats!

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

I googled the Blues Foundation. I was wondering whether Lil' Ed (Williams) & the Blues Imperials have been inducted. The band is with Alligator Records.