Anyone here been bitten by a venomous snake.

Renown

Tele-Meister
I used to catch rattlers alive. Catch and release. I was younger, faster and dumber then. Now I kill them on site since one killed my dog. I've been bitten and peed or pooped on by water snakes. The bite drew blood. The peee stunk so bad instantly all over my arm that I would have to say it's better to be bitten by a water snake than peed on.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Aren't we the only developed country without some form of universal healthcare? It's a head-scratcher for sure.
As to killing snakes, I'm in middle Georgia and copperheads are common. I've killed a few in the yard because I have dogs and grandkids, but if I am hiking or in the woods, I leave them alone. I have a theory that many (most?) bites come from people trying to move, handle, or kill a snake (no stats to back this up though).

Since the thread's been semi mildly derailed I will say, I wish there was a solution to our US healthcare system costs!

But a universal healthcare system is very questionable, and not one size fits all etc to me:
I worked 2.5 years at a VA hospital in an RN capacity.
Never ever paid so well and with great benefits... but the worst work culture and professionalism I ever encountered. Could not tolerate it any longer.
And in my career I have worked 4 other hospitals.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Aren't we the only developed country without some form of universal healthcare? It's a head-scratcher for sure.
As to killing snakes, I'm in middle Georgia and copperheads are common. I've killed a few in the yard because I have dogs and grandkids, but if I am hiking or in the woods, I leave them alone. I have a theory that many (most?) bites come from people trying to move, handle, or kill a snake (no stats to back this up though).

Since the thread's been mildly derailed I will say, I wish there were solutions to our US healthcare system costs.

But a universal healthcare system is soundly questionable, and not one size fits all etc to me:
Never ever paid so well and with great benefits... but the worst work culture and professionalism I ever encountered. Could not tolerate it any longer.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Since the thread's been mildly derailed I will say, I wish there were solutions to our US healthcare system costs.

But a universal healthcare system is soundly questionable, and not one size fits all etc to me:
For what it's worth, 20+ experience in the British National Health Service. Is everywhere brilliant? No - I've worked with some idiots here and there. But overall? A huge commitment to patient care and wellbeing. Care provided free at the point of delivery to those in need. Provision of universal healthcare does not necessarily have to equal poor work culture and professionalism. (Just defending my c 1.5 miliion colleagues here!! :))

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Funny-ish story. I took my mother to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center in south Austin. She took a break on a bench on a wide concrete plaza and a rattler coiled up beneath the bench. Just came to say hi. I said hey, mom, come here please. About then a group of grade school kids came by and I told their ranger guide about the snake. She asked why I thought it was a rattlesnake. I said because it was shaking it’s rattle, duh. She radioed another ranger and said “we have a special visitor”. We got to see the relocation show, it was pretty mad about getting bagged. It was over 6’ and just came to hang out with mom. What a trooper.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For what it's worth, 20+ experience in the British National Health Service. Is everywhere brilliant? No - I've worked with some idiots here and there. But overall? A huge commitment to patient care and wellbeing. Care provided free at the point of delivery to those in need. Provision of universal healthcare does not necessarily have to equal poor work culture and professionalism. (Just defending my c 1.5 miliion colleagues here!! :))

Great to hear!
Ty.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Funny-ish story. I took my mother to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center in south Austin. She took a break on a bench on a wide concrete plaza and a rattler coiled up beneath the bench. Just came to say hi. I said hey, mom, come here please. About then a group of grade school kids came by and I told their ranger guide about the snake. She asked why I thought it was a rattlesnake. I said because it was shaking it’s rattle, duh. She radioed another ranger and said “we have a special visitor”. We got to see the relocation show, it was pretty mad about getting bagged. It was over 6’ and just came to hang out with mom. What a trooper.
Sometimes mommas are just watched over. Back in the mid 60s my mom was living in the mountains about sixty miles from where I lived out in Wasco California. She came down to visit one day and as kind of an aside asked if I could look at her steering wheel, it was acting funny. I checked it out, and it had more than a half a turn of play in it. I crawled under the car, and the tie rod ends, and drag link were falling apart. I went to the local auto supply where amazingly they had what I needed in stock to fix it and changed out the parts. I set the toe-in with two yards sticks wrapped together with heavy rubber bands, the car drove like a champ.

Renown

Tele-Meister
I used to catch rattlers alive. Catch and release. I was younger, faster and dumber then. Now I kill them on site since one killed my dog. I've been bitten and peed or pooped on by water snakes. The bite drew blood. The peee stunk so bad instantly all over my arm that I would have to say it's better to be bitten by a water snake than peed on.
Actually I only ever caught one ratler alive and I was dumb. My Grandfather was with me and he was determined to shovel it from the moment he knew I wasnt joking. He succeeded.
Ive caught a water snakes and to tried avoiding a bite while catching the last one; I caught by the tail and then swinging it around like a chain? It peed and it stunk. Had to let it go and wash my arm imedietly. I think the snake survived but dizzy. Ive killed a ratler or two since. Theres good snakes and bad snakes, I dont know but if they rattle Im dealing with them. A snake is a snake , no?

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
They only do that when extremely upset.
Also after handling an angry one you need to wash your hands because they exude a real bad smell, not everybody knows that.
If no one else has pointed this out, let me add that after handling an angry one I too would exude a real bad smell.