Anyone here been bitten by a venomous snake.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
But my story. I used to work for a church camp on the lake. The owner paid us stupid rednecks $10 a moccasin to relocate off camp grounds. They didn’t want to kill them. But didn’t want them around kids.

So we thought hell easy money. Had a team of 3 (untrained be it) guys. One would lift rocks while the other had a forked rod, and the other standing clear. I lifted a rock exposing a crack in the rock bed. Next thing I know I see something strike. A copperhead had struck. LUCKLY got stuck in my jeans between my boot and jean. I was terrified.

Had a buddy step on it by its head quickly. I said count of 3 get back. 1… 2… and I rip free. He was pissed. You know. The typical “what happened to 3!?” I laughed and said I was the one on the business side.

Needless to say. That bat rastard had to die. But we relocated quite a few that spring and summer.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I used to go to Cyprus a couple of times a year and did enough tank diving to qualify as an open water diver. What I'd say was the best dive was just the two of us, me and the dive master, and we went out to some old Greek ruins off the coast. It was beautiful, sitting against ancient pillars watching the sunbeams come down through the water. At one point he stopped me and pointed down and directly below us was a scorpion fish perfectly blended against the ruins.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Who can afford to get bitten?
hospitalbillrattlesnake-1024x555-1024x555.jpeg

Todd Fassler got bitten by a rattlesnake and had to take four doses of antivenom for it. The antivenom was $20,000+ per dose. Someone did some digging and found the wholesale price of it in the US was (on average) $1000 per dose. To make matters worse, the retail price in Mexico (where the antivenom was made) is just $120 a dose, and the wholesale price was just $20.

The hospital claimed the reason it was so expensive was that it had a 30-day shelf-life, and they had to make up for all the other doses that got tossed out over the course of a year.

The rest of the bill was related to an in-patient stay that lasted about a day-and-a-half. o_O

https://www.askmen.com/recess/trending/rattlesnake-selfie-bite.html
The second time I got bitten I received antivenom,stayed in hospital for two weeks and had an operation.
Total cost $0.
I'd love to show you the bill to prove my story but I never got one.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
I’d post the videos if I could. The quail alerted us.

Attachments

• 2D595BAD-F668-4DBC-A0AD-DD4E7B820CE1.jpeg
    2D595BAD-F668-4DBC-A0AD-DD4E7B820CE1.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 7EDB59BF-A89E-451B-84B9-A2B387CBAB3B.jpeg
    7EDB59BF-A89E-451B-84B9-A2B387CBAB3B.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 13

Pater Familias

Tele-Meister
I knew there would be a lot of Aussie content in this thread.

Have you ever been to the Rattlesnake Roundup in Whigham? I used to live on a farm near there back in the 80's and went to it a few times. I guess the last time I went to one was in the late 90's when some family members still lived in the area.
I wanted to go back in the early 80s, but just never got over there for it.

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Y’all are not gonna believe this but my wife and I were sitting out on the patio having coffee and look who sauntered up:

Wow! Lived here all my life and spent time stumbling around the desert. Never seen one in the wild.

One friend had one invade their garage in North Phoenix (Anthem), and another friend found one on his mom's ranch down in Cochise.

I have heard people claim that they have found baby Gila Monsters, but I am pretty sure they actually found a little gecko on their patio.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We used to have a rattlesnake round up on Breckenridge Mountain. I guess it's been done way with now. Those guys were fearless, and it seemed to me pretty careless, grabbing those snakes up and stuffing them in a bag along with others already in the bag.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
Wow! Lived here all my life and spent time stumbling around the desert. Never seen one in the wild.

One friend had one invade their garage in North Phoenix (Anthem), and another friend found one on his mom's ranch down in Cochise.

I have heard people claim that they have found baby Gila Monsters, but I am pretty sure they actually found a little gecko on their patio.
We’re in a somewhat natural environment. But it’s still a neighborhood near Scottsdale.

These amazing creatures live in the wash (dry river bed) behind the house.

Like clockwork, every spring and summer they come out looking to mate and eat up quail eggs.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That's odd since rattlesnakes generally aren't climbers. I'm a wildlife biologist and South Georgia snake country resident of 50 years. And I have never seen a rattlesnake higher than on top of a board or piece of tin on the ground.

Three family members bitten by timber rattlers in South Georgia. All survived. The youngest, biggest, and strongest died and was resuscitated twice during the emergency. Was seriously ill for weeks. The oldest in her 70s, walked 200 yards to retrieve a hoe to kill the snake before calling her DIL to pick her up. Stayed in hospital one night.
I doubt they climbed the rail cars...more like got loaded onto rail cars with the cargo.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like this story. One you didn’t get bitten. But a inmate helped you. I know not all are monsters, tho many are.

As a veteran who spent time in jail once I got out. I was nervous going in. I’d seen movies and TV shows. I actually applied to be a CO at the jail I was in (oh the irony) but being veteran and knowing most the COs. I was nervous. You quickly learn who to steer clear from. But most are decent people who made poor choices, some have some disconnect and keep making said choices. But over all are decent humans. Now this was only county jail. But I like how you pointed out it was a inmate looking out for you.
I worked there for almost 13 years, mostly on the yard, but some rotations in towers and housing units. I found there to be a lot of good people walking around just doing their time for mistakes in judgement. I never made anything personal, the only thing that runs a prison is the rule book. Not the Warden, not the Major, and certainly not the CO's. The book tells the inmates how to act and if they violate it, it is the CO's job to respond. If the CO doesn't respond accordingly to the rules, the book demands that the Sgt or Lt deal with the CO. It just keeps going up the chain, but it is the book that dictates everything. In that vein, we were all working at the same place and for the same person (the book)...we just each had a different role to play.

It is a strange environment, but I was always proud that I spent all that time and left with the respect of both staff and prisoners alike. Those that made things personal were the ones that caused the problems. Nothing worse than a corrupt CO who operates rogue and that is why I eventually left the job, there were too damn many of them.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
My buddy and I would go snake hunting when we were kids. Flipping tin, etc. The only venomous snakes we ever saw were Copperheads and Cottonmouths...and we steered clear of them. At Boy Scout camp one time, I was called to dispatch a Rattler (the whole camp knew I liked snakes). It was just a baby, maybe 6" long. I picked it up with my snake-stick to bag it and relocate it, but the Scoutmaster made me kill it.

One morning when I was in my early teens, I got called to a local church where they'd killed a large Rattler (they wanted to know what it was. Duh, it's a Rattlesnake...Timber Rattler, common to most of Alabama). It had been sleeping on the church's back porch where they hacked it up with a hoe. It was the largest Rattler I'd ever seen, over 6' minus its head.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Not a snake, but back in my drinking days, we had a Basset Hound that went by the name of Drooper. He liked to sit on the couch, and if you got to close, he'd bite you. Well, I came home drunk and sat down next to him, and he bit me! Before he knew what was happening, I grabbed him by the ears, and bit into his nose like it was an ice-cream cone on July the fourth. My wife and kids come running in when he went to howling, and I turned him loose. Just like that, as Tiger says when he shows off a golf shot, old Drooper was 100% cured of biting!

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
I must have been about four years old, we were driving back to Oklahoma on vacation. Somewhere out in the middle of Arizona the urge hit me… “dad,pull over, I gotta take a dump!” After making sure that the next gas station was at least a half day’s drive away he pulled over and let me out. I had to go about fifty yards from the highway to find any cover. I’d just dropped my drawers when my dad yelled “look out for snakes!” He said he’d never seen anybody drop a load and run back to the car faster than I did on that day. We made it to Oklahoma on time…