1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone here attend "butcher school" ??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 1, 2021.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know if that's the correct name or not. But I'm fascinated by standing at the meat counter and watching the guys with the metal gloves carve up a side of beef into the steaks and trimmings.

Last weekend I went camping with some friends, one of whom works for a food distribution company. He brought along a USDA Prime rib side. There were about 20 one-inch-thick ribeyes in it, plus some trimmings which we used for fajita meat. I got to do a lot of the cutting and trimming, and I can say, there is certainly an art form to it.

I'd love to take a class in proper butchery. It seems to me that it's not dissimilar to woodworking, in that that you have to learn how to read the grain and cut accordingly to best suit your purposes.

By the way, the steaks were just absolutely fantastic. Rubbed with olive oil... then sea salt and corse ground pepper. Then quickly grilled to medium rare, with a nice crust on the outside. Then a sub of butter on each one while they rested. I've never seen the fat in a ribeye render so well. The fat just melted into the meat, so much so that it was much more edible than in most ribeyes I've had. I had to pay attention not to eat too much of the fatty portions, so as not to get sick. But the flavor was outstanding. Most ribeyes I've had, the fat was very flavorful, but not edible at all... not so with this particular cut.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

No but I grew up a mile away from where Ed Gein lived.

3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

All I’ve done is butcher a bunch of deer and I’ve pretty much quit that because my hand arthritis is bad, but I can see the interest. Maybe ask the butcher for a path you might follow?

4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I was on a youth training scheme (YTS) for 12 months in a butchers horrible job freezing cold couldn't wait to leave

telestratosonic and Dereksys38 like this.
  5. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Damn dude, what a start to this thread :eek::lol:

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

A writer named Adam Danforth has books on meat cutting.

I don't know if anyone has a DVD set.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

I think this guy is holding classes, just be careful of the extra credit work he might ask you to do..

8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

A couple of books and online researching ought to get you mostly where you need to be for a personal skill level. Assuming you aren't looking to start with the whole carcass on the hoof, learning/figuring out how to carve up whole cuts of meat isn't too hard.

The first time I did all of my own work on a deer, I was surprised how the different roasts & cuts are pretty easy to ID and work around - it's individual muscles you're cutting out. Learning how to safely handle the knives and keep them sharp is probably the biggest obstacle depending on how familiar you are starting out. I seem to always end up using a thin, flexible blade fillet knife for most stuff like that - working it down from a bigger cut or boning it out, not simply slicing up steaks.

A good marbled ribeye will ruin you for anything else. My local grocery store has the most consistently great beef of anywhere I've ever shopped in my life. Usually run $8-9/lb sales on ribeye, NY Strip, or t-bones every week. We eat a lot of steak... :D

IMG_20210131_184314833_HDR.jpg IMG_20210212_192956956_HDR (1).jpg

yegbert, drlucky, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Could you take a course by mail? Strictly chops.

yegbert and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

I asked a butcher about taking classes once and he said it would be too expensive to set a bunch of newbies to cutting on beef. My sense is most training is apprentice-based (to the extent we have real butchers and real apprentices any more). But there may be training systems out there. You might be able to find some training for dilettantes but, like guitar-making classes, you'd have to pay for the materials as part of the course.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I only want to be a butcher if I can take butchery lessons from this guy.

[​IMG]

12. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I heard John Butcher play live once. Amazing player, but painfully loud. I remember the pain more than the tunes.
    Today’s lesson: rock if you must, but don’t hurt anybody.

13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think quite a few trade and applied tech schools have butcher programs. I know a guy who went to butcher school and built quite a career for himself cutting roasts and steaks.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

"But, damn Bob, did you have to gut him?"

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

My grandfather owned a commercial slaughterhouse, as well as raised beef cattle.
    I used to go to work with him at both locations whenever I’d spend the night with he and maw maw.
    It was quite the education for little kid.
    I have a deep seated pragmatic approach to animals raised for food.

Stubee likes this.
  16. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I went to National School of Meatcutting in Toledo OH back in late 70's, early 80's. Was a Butcher for 5 years. Don't know if they are still around, but their Books are all around, after I searched Google. Youtube!

TheGoodTexan and pixeljammer like this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Around here that is covered by organizations like FFA, 4H, DNR, and the county extension of the state university. They offer various free classes and programs throughout the year. Some states/counties teach it in high school...kind of like wood shop.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  18. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Where did you get that griddle or whatever it is?

19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've made sausage for Oktoberfest and butchered deer. School of hard knocks.

20. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

It came with our stove/oven when we got a new one. I got a similar one by Lodge for my dad at Christmas though on Amazon.

I'll be honest, I have a charcoal grill/smoker and have always been a diehard charcoal fan. But, for the past 2 years, I haven't cooked a steak on anything but this griddle or a cast iron skillet before I got the griddle. I have an infrared thermometer, get the pan up to 550-600 degrees on the gas burners outside, and they are the best steaks I've ever cooked. Montreal seasoning will stick & burn pretty bad, but finer & more powdery seasoning does fine. Throw them on dry and finish with a pat of butter in the last minute or two to really brown them. I do lamb chops & pork chops the same way.

IMG_20200723_191739356_HDR.jpg

electrichead, TheGoodTexan and MickM like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.