1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

anyone here a licensed electrician or electrical engineer?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Newbcaster, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Well I guess we'll see. I dont think those leds will give off that much heat.

I'll probably rout a channel in a 2x4 and just put th leds in there to start with and run them for awhile.

If i have enough bandwidth his week ill try and breadboaed a bunch of single leds too.

2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I guess I'm not following what you want to do here. I thought you were hoping to melt the epoxy enough to get rid of bubbles in the permanent neck, I also saw something about adding vents for heat. If I'm following correctly, this is bad, you want no heat, if the lights are heating don't use them, it's going to make the neck fail. Glue + heat isn't good.

But, I don't want you to think I'm trying to talk you out of this, it's a fun concept. Do you have a build thread going?

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You're trying to design a guitar that lights up when you play it? I hate to break it to you, but those already exist. I have one.

71fECOp78UL._SL1500_.jpg

Newbcaster likes this.
  4. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Yeah I think Im assuming you know things about epoxy. When first pouring the epoxy, one uses a heat gun to get rid of bubbles before it sets. Once it dries, no heat will move it. if its hot enough, the epoxy will burn before it does anything else.

The whole idea behind leds is that they dont run physically hot.

Still, its worth testing given the sheer quantity of led's on each module. Im using 11 modules.

5. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I haven't had as much time as if like aftrr receiving all that i ordered to put all this together.

Still here what I looks like. Its really bright and beautiful using just a single module.

Haven't tried the leds yet.

The red is red in real life but more magenta in the photo. Its cool though.

Attached Files:

ghostchord likes this.
  6. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

So, do you have an idea on how you want to wire it? Getting it to light up a specific number when that fret is used can be tricky. You may run into the issue of it lighting up when the fret before or after is causing it to light depending on how you go about wiring it.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

In theory.... the leds are wired in parallel where the negative is routed to the fret. Dependign on the action, there is likely to be some crosstalk among the frets.

There will be 3 states. Off, on(all lights simultaneously), on as they get played.

8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, more than likely there will be some cross talk when playing with it set to individual frets. You may also have an issue due to also having it wired for the all on at once. As in you have to have all the negative leads connected so even if you have it set to individual and the negative is being carried by the strings, they may all light up as soon as you play any note. (At least that is what I am envisioning what will happen) building a test rig, or even just using a guitar you have and taping the negative leads to the top of the fret will allow you to test things out before you actually build it.

9. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Ok so Ghost Chord, Digital Larry, and really everyone else who has been helpful but here is where this project stands now.

I HAD to return the modules and the battery to Amazon. 3 of the modules were defective during testing and would not light and the battery died after about 30 minutes. I suppose I could try and charge it but I dunno. It may come with just a bit of charge and not fully charged but that got me thinking about the regular LED's again.

BAsed on the size of the numbers i'd need 5 LED's minimum to achieve the brightness I wish but not distort the color.

Thats 55 LED's wired in parallel in groups of 5.

How would I power 55 LED's such that I could:

1) prance around on stage like the middle aged man I am. Post covid of course

2) Hopefully be lighter weight than 2.5 lbs.

3) Possibly either rechargeable and or have the ability to just plug in the lights when im at home.

4) Practicals of wiring. What resistor would i use for those groups of 5? is it possible to use just 1 or does there really need to be 1 resistor between each led. 44 Resistors...

Once nice thing about using the LED's as opposed to the modules is the lack of necessity for a big brass heat sink.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.