Anyone have Prostate troubles?....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by J. Hayes, Dec 21, 2012.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Just wondering if any of you guys have had Prostate cancer or anything similar? I was diagnosed with it awhile back and started my treatment(s) yesterday. I checked into the hospital and was put under general anesthesia and had seventy (70) radioactive "seeds" implanted in my prostate. It really wasn't all that bad and my wife and I hit a couple of thrift stores on the way home. I'd been dreading going in for this procedure for the last couple of months but I'll have to say it was actually a piece of cake. After they took me in the operating room and knocked me out, the next thing I knew I was in recovery and had almost zero pain. I have to go back in two months and start five weeks (five days a week) of external radiation which I'll be glad to get over with.

So if any of you "older" guys haven't been getting checked by a doctor and have been having a little trouble going "wee-wee" it might pay you to see an MD soon. I think this is what Frank Zappa died from and I intend to be here for a very long time........ What's your story?......JH in Va.

2. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Both my father and my brother survived prostate cancer, Dad through radiation and chemotherapy, brother by having his removed. Mine is enlarged, but the biopsy came back negative...so far, so good. Modern medicine has made huge advances in detection, treatment, and ongoing monitoring. Do as the doctors say.

Best of luck.

3. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

Good luck with Your treatment. Mine is only slightly enlarged, not enough to be outside normal limits for my age.

4. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

A friend's dad had the same procedure years ago and it was 100% successful!

Good luck!

kc

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 5 years ago and had his removed, via a "robot" procedure.

Since then, I get mine checked at the regular exams, and get the PSA-level tested. I just turned 40, and no issues with it yet.

I've done a little research and found the foods and supplements that are good for prostate health, so I try to keep a lot of that included in my diet. Even so, no guarantees of course.

6. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

My prostate is huge and my PSA level at one time, was 24.
    I've been biopsied 4 times in the last 10 years.....all negative.
    My urologist says that was is normal for some men, isn't normal for others?
    So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and enjoying every sunrise.

Steve

7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

My father did not survive it.

So I take Saw Palmetto every day......

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Size does matter.

9. TexasHeartRush

TexasHeartRush Tele-Meister

Prostate cancer and dairy (and animal fat) are linked as closely as cigarettes and Lung cancer. This is documented extensively now.Not only have we made advances in medicine, we have made huge advances in understanding the cause of cancer. Want a healthy prostate or help reverse an enlarged one? Go 100% plant-based diet. Not for 'moral' reasons, just to stay clear of cancer causing agents. A side effect is weight loss, increased energy and heart health.

I wish you all good health. Lost my mother this year to cancer.

10. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I read an article stating that if you live long enough, eventually you will have an enlarged prostate gland. It's probably inevitable. At age 52, I now get the annual check up (last time doc said it was "slightly" enlarged, normal for someone my age). Time to start taking better care of myself (I have a young wife):lol:

11. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

You will be fine J Hayes. I have taken care of many people with this affliction, and under this very treatment regimen. In the world of seed implantation / XRT, it is extremely safe and effective. Stay hydrated appropriately.

Please keep us all posted on your progress, J. Hayes - Thank you for "manning up" and sharing your experience.

12. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Get well soon, J Hayes!

I have had several bouts of prostatitis over the past 20 years because of an enlarged prostate. I have found that the saw palmetto supplement that GNC sells is by far the best for supporting a healthy urinary flow.

13. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

My stepfather was diagnosed with it a year ago, just by going to the GP for his routine check up. It scared him at the time but it looks like they picked it up in time as he's had it treated with radiotherapy and all seems fine now.

Sorry your Dad wasn't so lucky OlRedNeckHippy.

14. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

People call it the "Hammer" and I don't know why
    Had mine removed 6 years ago. Not fun but life goes on.

15. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

The doc says mine's in good shape. I have sex regularly though to keep the pipes clear. :D

Carl

16. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I've dealt with chronic prostatitis for 29 years but it's nothing compared to cancer.

I hope you beat that garbage.

17. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Me too,sometimes I even have company.

18. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

A co-guitarist in one of the bands........

I work with has a very large prostate. He doesn't have cancer but he has to use a catheter to be able to urinate. I don't think I'd like to be in that situation at all. Hopefully after the external radiation treatments mine will be OK... Thanks for the replies.....JH in Va.

19. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Me too :D (not any more though :( (but maybe soon :) ))

Carl

20. Tele Bee

Tele Bee Tele-Meister

Dealt with non-bacterial prostatitis for over a year. It was a nightmare, and meds didnt work. On my own, realized that excercise helped alieviate the pain. Turns out there is a nerve in the hip/upper leg area that when pinched, can cause prostatitis-like symptoms. Now when I feel "the Grip", I massage and stretch that area and the pain and issues go away immediately. None of my many doctors had anything to say about this, and one thought I was crazy. However, through internet research, there seems to be a doctor in Houston that specializes in this. More men and urologists need to know about this, rather than just medicating men for no reason.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.