Anyone have one of these LP copies?..

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by J. Hayes, Dec 14, 2012.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I was wondering if anyone out there has or has had one one these Les Paul copies from the sixties or seventies. Mine has "Univox" inlaid on the headstock but I've seen other names on them such as "Aims" and others. I'm not sure who made them but they're a quality instrument. They're fairly heavy guitars and unlike most Les Pauls, they have bolt on necks. I take mine out to gigs on occasion as it has a very beautiful tone for slow ballads and really drives the hell out of a distortion pedal as well. I also have an Epiphone EZ Bender on mine. I really like the "all maple" look and fretboard as well.. here's a shot or two of it.....JH in Va.

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice grain! Have never seen one in real life but those do look real nice when pictures are posted on this site & others.

3. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

Don't currently have one, but have owned several thru the years, Univox, Penco, Aims. My favorites for the "over the ocean" imports were hands down the Electra series of LP's, especially the Omega series. I've owned examples of those in natural, gold top, sunburst, cherry sunburst, and "candy" colors. In my opinion, they were/are FINE guitars.

I lost any like for the Electra line after they changed the headstock to that hideous "wave on a slop-bucket" look back in the mid 80's. I see lately some of the Jay Turser models are using that awful headstock.

I'm famous for saying "I don't play the headstock", but when it comes to that "wave" look....I have to pass.

4. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey bf........

I also like the Electra guitars of years past. I'd like to have one of the LP models that they used to make which featured the "plug in" modules for different effects. I always thought that was a cool idea and someone else should have jumped on it...........JH in Va.

5. shorty1

shorty1 Tele-Meister

I had one just like that,but with built in effects,late 70's.Im not sure of the brand,Sattelite ? Hondo ?

6. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

Yeppir, I had one of those, also. It was a sorta cherry red/flame top looking thing with set neck and the knobs all in a row instead of the "4 cluster" of most LP's. It was the "MPC" series. I got mine before they changed the headstock to the above mentioned "abomination shaped head stock". Mine had a phaser and distortion module. The phaser was sorta okay, but the distortion sounded mostly like angry hornets to my ears, anyway. I see them pop up on Ebay, but almost NEVER with the "open book" headstock. It was easy for me to get those guitars back in the mid 70's as I had a dealership for Electra in Howell County, Missouri. Wish now I had kept them.

7. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

LP's really stand out with a maple neck. That's a good looking guitar there.
    My first real guitar was a Hondo II LP copy, but it wasn't as nice as yours.
    Can you tell us about that bender gadget, I've never heard of that.

8. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I have an early '70's Electra LP copy. Super guitar, well made. Mine does not have the modules though. Still love to play that thing, it was my #1 for many years.

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My first Tele was an Aims.

Those Electras are really nice LPs.

10. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I have those two.

Attached Files:

11. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey dannew02.............

The "bender gadget" on my guitar was marketed by Epiphone and called the "EZ Bender"... They weren't very expensive and were made for guitars equipped with a stud tailpiece. You'd just take off your B string sit the unit on that spot and tighten it down. There were Allen nuts on each side of it the went into the hole where the string usually did. The Allen nuts have a hole all the way through them so the string can still go through the device. The side near the bridge had a small roller that the string went under and there was the lever which you just pushed down with your hand which made it essentially a palm pedal. I have two of them and they work very well. I've used them on gigs before but I have a collection of Bigsby Palm Pedal equipped guitars and the EZ Benders that I have are usually just used as a transition bender until I find a BPP for that guitar. The guy who invented them is named Richard Bowden and he's on this Forum from time to time. You can probably find him with a search. I believe he's marketing similar benders on his own now. Here's a shot of my other unit........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

12. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

That's cool! Thank you

13. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

I traded for a 70s El Degas copy a couple months ago - I didn't really intend for it to become a main player for me, I just have a weakness for El Degases since my first guitar was one, however I'm really pleased with how this one plays. I find it surprisingly light and the neck is nice and thin and fast. The pickups were super hot so I've got the bridge one pretty much down as low as it can go...and even there it's not playing really nice with some of my pedals so I may swap it out for something a little less agressive, but otherwise I'm having a lot of fun with it. Other than the pickup height and needing to increase the groove on one of the saddles, it was pretty much ready to go. Not bad for a 40 year old knock off.

[​IMG]

14. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

My first electric was a LOT like the OP's, except mine had a blank headstock, and very cheesy pickups (single coils inside a humbucker shell) with the "arched" top being a veneer over plywood chips!!! Never should have sold it for sentimental reasons... of course, my first telecaster came about a year later... never should have sold that either, but that's another story...

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.