1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone have any inside info on Chrissie Hynde’s Blue Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rze99, Jul 30, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yup. I like 'em too. Boris hates 'em, I have noticed.

I also like traditional Tele bridges, FWIW. But I don't have the hate for the 6-saddle vintage. They work fine, IME, if not better than traditional. Never any rattles. Never any looseness. Never any string spacing issues. But I don't use 9s, like many seem to people do. Even 10s are rare for me. Remember that the rattler was designed when Fender outfitted their guitars with 12s out of the factory.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I never understood small frets with a vintage radius. The six saddle bridge is a great addition. Way better intonation

Jakedog likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

There's another thread on this just today where I post a pretty good pic of Chrissie's actual guitar.

It's not a 65 as Fender states on their website, it's a 61 as confirmed by her guitar tech who posted on this forum in October of just last year. And it's LPB not Ice Blue.

The neck is clearly a slab neck and not a lam neck.

Chrissie's in fact has a 6 saddle bridge, so whether you like it or not is irrelevant, because it is accurate, which isn't that what a signature model is supposed to be? Sort of?

Oddly, there are the other aforementioned inaccuracies..... That's Fender for you.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

didn't i see a signature model of hers somewhere?

5. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

S

Sounds like they didn't really put effort into copying her guitar. Just kind of eyed a few photos and said meh close enough

jfgesquire likes this.
  6. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

You look like you got one already!

Jakedog likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

What do you mean by "understood?" You mean why they started doing it that way back in 1950 in the first place?

Narrow, low frets were common back then. They carried through to today, especially on vintage repro or vintage style instruments. Fret preferences changed as new guitarists started coming up on rock and metal, instead of R&B and jazz.

FWIW, the Vintage Tall frets on these are solidly in the "medium" range. They are 6105 equivalents, the same "school bus" fretwire used on most Henry J. era Gibsons. They start out about .090" wide by .055" tall, while your classic Fender old school fret wire started out at about .080" by about .040". Gibson "fretless wonder" frets were even narrower and shorter, approx. .070" by .025".

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  8. doctymie

doctymie TDPRI Member

Intrigued. I assume at that price, it's MIM.

9. Telecasterless

Out of curiosity, if you have to make those changes, why can't you get all of what you want out of any other Tele then? What is it about this one?

10. EsquireOK

You say "those changes" as if they are something major. They are very minor things. A guard swap. Tuner swap. Blush eraser and clear coat. $100 and a day's time.

The guitar has the 7 1/4" radius, a lacquer finish with "Road Worn" work that is very mild/taseful (not the norm with Road Worns), and one of the top five best Fender colors ever sprayed, at the MIM Road Worn signature model price point (e.g. Page Dragon, Brad Paisley). These will be selling for $1,200 or less in the real world, and with the work I described, will sit in the region of the pre-AV American reissues.

The main things are lacquer finish and 7 1/4" radius. Those two things no longer co-exist brand new below the price point of the Page Mirror. The Page Dragon's neck is like this, but the body is urethane. (Plus, who actually thinks the dragon paint job is cool and would be seen in public with it?) Add the fact that the "Road Worn" work is quite tasteful, and the color in question, and most of my check boxes are ticked. Good specs for a pretty fair price, even after the minor mods I mentioned.

11. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Obviously I mean in this day and age with the ability to choose any fretwire that people still prefer small frets or use them. The only good thing Ive ever gotten out of small frets is that they intonate so much better with chords but you gotta really work to bend a full note

12. EsquireOK

It was not obvious that that's what you meant...hence the question.

I don't have any problem with 6230s. They fret, chord, bend, etc. fine for me. I find mediums and jumbos harder to play on.

Not the case with you and others.

Choice in this area is good to have.

And, to reiterate, the new Chrissy Hynde Signature. model has tall medium frets on the 7 1/4" radius board. They are 0.090" by .055" off the roll. Again, that is the common Gibson fretwire of the past 30 years or so.

13. Telecasterless

It's funny, I totally envision you sitting in your hotel room at night (because each of you must have rooms and I hope you don't have to share with a big, sweaty roadie), opening your doctor's bag filled with solder, iron, wire, etc, Scotch on the side, maybe a bowl, and working away on a cold solder joint while the band is whooping it up in the bar, or the deluxe royale suite. But that would be good fun!
    That's what you get from the Tele nerd forum! Dudes who want to fix guitars with you.
    Ok, that's what I was getting at, the mods seem minor. I didn't know the 7.25 was hard to find, but I haven't seen the blue and yes, the lacquer is very cool, although someone earlier posted something about urethane over nitro? I have to go back and read that. I do think this one is tasteful. It caught my eye.

David C tech likes this.
  14. EsquireOK

The radius in and of itself is not that hard to get. The standard Vintera line has it (with truly vintage sized frets), as do the vast bulk of Fender reissues pre-2018, and many Custom Shop models.

The thing is that Fender has stopped combining it with lacquer finishes. Even when they recently introduced the Vintera Road Worns, with lacquer finishes, Fender changed all the frets to larger frets, vs. the standard polyester finished Vinteras. That shows that they have decided not to combine 7 1/4" radius, lacquer finishes, and vintage sized frets below the price point of the Page Mirror Tele ($2,500). They are pushing the "I want my Fender to play just like an old one" folks into the Custom Shop, basically.

The "half exception" is the neck on the Jimmy Page Dragon. 7 1/4" radius, vintage frets, and lacquer finish, at the $1,400 price point. But the body is urethane finished (and dumb as hell), and I'm not gonna buy one just to swipe the neck.

Even the Chrissy Hynde only gets 2/3 of the way there...but it's close enough for me, given all its other attractive features. The radius is more important than the fret size to me (though I do LOVE skinny frets).

Yes, all Fender lacquer finishes now, except those spec'd "Flash Coat" or "Thin Skin," use a urethane sealer. Not great for a very accurate vintage reissue...but in and of itself, it isn't a detriment to an instrument. And remember that Fender used a very thick, plasticky conversion varnish called Fullerplast to seal all electrics starting in 1963. It's only the pre-'63 Fenders that easily wear all the way down to the wood. '63s and later usually just wear through to the Fullerplast. So the urethane sealer really isn't too terribly inaccurate for '63-and-later-style instruments...and wouldn't show till years down the road anyhow, when the lacquer has worn through – a point to which most owners will never get.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    David C tech and Telecasterless like this.
  15. Telecasterless

So the urethane is UNDER the lacquer then?

16. EsquireOK

Yes. It is the wood sealer...and a darned good one at that.

They seem to have made it much thinner in recent years, vs. the way it used to be on the AVRIs and earlier American reissues. That goes for the sealer coat and the color and clear coats over it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  17. David C tech

David C tech TDPRI Member

So the cat is out of the bag ! I won't have to dodge that question anymore.

Fender has scanned Chrissie's number 1.
    It is road worn, that's why the mirror pick guard looks strange in pictures, it as got pick scratches under the strings.
    The pick ups are replicas too, I've A'B'ed a prototype and they were very close.( output on the low-ish side )
    The 6 saddle bridge is on the original, we also spent quite sometime getting the neck right.
    the only 'commercial' decisions that I know of, was to put locking tuners on it, the OG as got regular 60's tuners
    there should be some cool 'case candy' with it too, a replica strap with her "sheriff star' .

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Details in post on the other channel

19. David C tech

David C tech TDPRI Member

oh, ok. I don't post often, not sure how it works... sorry mate

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

No problem, just to let others know, no reason why it shouldn’t be here as well. Someone on Strat Talk has put a link that goes to all of the new releases. For what it’s worth the general opinion seems to be that the Christie Tele is the best of the bunch.

David C tech likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.