1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone have any inside info on Chrissie Hynde’s Blue Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rze99, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I had a local player tell me his band hated when he had a mirror pickguard on his Tele, stage lights flashing off the mirror blinded them too often.

How does Chrissie's band feel about the mirror pickguards?

I'm sure the thread would love 'a rig rundown' of all the gear.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. David C tech

David C tech TDPRI Member

Ah ah ! well, the pick guard's never been an issue on stage, it looks pretty cool on bigger stages even if it tends to come out black in pictures.Every guitar used has got one. I guess the band could try to tell Chrissie what to put on her guitar ( I kinda already know the answer!), no but seriously it's not that ' blinding' for the band, our light show has very few lights shining directly on them from the back or side of the stage, so not an issue when she's turning towards them.
    I guess, I could write a 'rig rundown' (plenty of Time at the mo for a touring tech!) it would be easier to answer specific questions though.

Telekarster and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Welcome aboard David. Thanks for offering to chat about CH's gear! What I really want to know, is, is she as cool as she appears to be? What's she like? I'm a huge fan!

4. David C tech

Chrissie IS the coolest person in any room she walks in, even amongst rock stars and famous people.
    We've become good friends and she's also the nicest, most generous lady.She's been really good to me.
    Not to be ****ed with though, as she knows what she wants ( and what works) and won't take no ****, but she's got the track record.
    Listening to her stories driving around west London is amazing, she's seen it all and was there for all the iconic moments in Punk/Rock history since 1974.
    a great person indeed, and she's never compromised trying to follow fashion and as a result is in a class of her own for female role models.

5. David C tech

oh, can't swear...got it =)

Telekarster and brookdalebill like this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly as I’d imagined. ;)

Thanks very much for joining and sharing your knowledge and work.

7. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What kind of amps does she use, and does she use pedals and if so, are any always on?
    Thank you for answering our questions!

8. David C tech

we've stopped using Ampeg Jet 2's about 1 and a half year ago, I love them but some people in the organisation were not convinced.
    We're back on Fenders, as we've got a great relationship with them and they're gear is top notch at the moment (hasn't always been the case) and the Ampegs were harder to hire for weird out of the way gigs.

So, a couple of new Deluxes at my position + a dummy one on stage left of drum kit.

I run them quite clean, bass around 2.5, mid and treb way up (7 to 8) and on the 'sweet spot' (volume around 3.5)

Wireless to my rack with something subtle to drive the amp and get a bit of crunch, like a boost, MXR micro amp, we've used the Fullerton too or a transparent overdrive ( experimenting a bit depending on venues ). always on.

And I punch in effects when needed, nothing much, a tremolo (TR2) on ' Cuban slide' and of course an original CE2 chorus for the intro to 'Chain gang'.

9. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Awesome! Thanks for the amp settings too! You must miss the road! I know I would!

10. David C tech

Man, like you wouldn't believe. we should be in the middle of a 6 months US tour now, it's tough and it's not looking better any time soon... pretty scary

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  11. David C tech

So, you've got the amps, so for the axes...

On the last tour I was carrying:

-that Blue 61 tele- number one, only swapped if broken string.

we've only found out it is a 61 after Fender asked to x-ray and scrutinise it last year for there records.
    As I said, it's not the original finish.

Spares for it:

-a 2018 American Tele- champagne- tried it...didn't make the cut after the tour, CH doesn't really get on with modern 'flat' necks and jumbo frets.

-a Halkan (swedish) hand made replica 60's tele made for her in all mother of pearl finish(neck and body), the band hates the look of it =)

for numbers with a capo:

- 63 tele custom shop in gold sparkle.

The spare for it is identical in silver sparkle.

the white 'original' tele from all the early pictures still sometimes make an appearance, I often carry it, just in case.but it's got a 50's style 'baseball bat neck' and she's much more into small early 60's profiles now.

And CH isn't against trying new or older guitars depending on mood, looks or occasions.

All with low-ish output pick-ups, the vintage ones in the blue one are the bench mark and all with the chrome pick guard.

12. rze99

Why the dummy Deluxe. What’s the point of it. Just visual balance?

And pedantic point, there’s no Mid control on a Deluxe Reverb

13. David C tech

Yeah, it's for the stage to look nice and 'real', there will always be a 'pedantic' person in the audience to go " she's miming! can't see an amp on stage ", plus she's quite sensitive to stage volume from behind her , that's why the drums are behind a Plexi-screen.

I've used Hot-rod deluxes for the last few tours so yeah, I had mids control ;) , was talking in general 'ball park' to get CH sounds. I'm getting some deluxe reverb next so yeah, you're totally right, no mids there.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  14. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

Hi David and thanks very much for sharing with us!
    Can you tell me how the electronics hold up on the older guitars after so much use? I imagine the original volume, tone knobs and switches must be long gone?
    Thanks,
    Rich

15. David C tech

to be fair, sweat is the number one enemy, and Chrissie isn't you're big sweaty metal dude.

I change the strings every day on tour so at the same time the guitars get a good clean and all around check up.

If you don't let anything get loose ( pots, pegs, trems...) things hold up pretty well.

it's just a question of catching issues straight away and not letting it do further damage to itself and things around it.

But Teles man, they're tanks, very few issues, maybe replace a crackling pot every now and then (usually just a squirt of contact cleaner though) or touch up a cold solder joint.

if something really bad happens, like dropping the guitar or it getting wet, it warrants a proper detailed test of everything, but regular gigging shouldn't affect a properly set up guitar.

I work (with Pretenders and other artists ) with guitars that have got wiring from the 50's still doing fine.

16. rze99

I realise that most members here have more Teles than Chrissie Hynde.

Telecasterless likes this.
  17. David C tech

probably true , but she does get new guitars all the time, and I've seen her give away a lot of them.

And she's not a collector, she uses pretty much every guitar she owns, they're tools not vanity accessories.

18. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

7.25 radius necks. The only way to rock!

19. rze99

It’s great to hear she donates some.

20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm happy to hear she is as cool as she looks. Thanks for the peek. I still have a bit of a crush on her, since maybe '83.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.