1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone have any bad Telecaster neck stories?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by xFallenx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

I was wondering if anyone ever had an issue with a Telecaster neck that was just terrible? Also what factors into a neck getting a twist and how long would it take for a twist to happen? I had a stripped truss rod in a maple neck before on an American Standard Tele :(

2. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

My 1969 neck has a twist in it but it's still playable. It needs a refret so I'll get it fixed eventually as part of the refret but I'm in no hurry.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, those tele necks are kinda finicky.
    [​IMG]

4. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Well, those are some strange questions....

For the first part, could I ask - are YOU currently having problems with a particular neck? Could you expand on it a little, as I'm not sure WHY you have asked the question...:confused:

With regard to why a neck twists, there could be 101 reasons, but you KNOW they are all going to be based around (a.) moisture in the wood, or (b.) incorrect handling/storage.

I just typed "why do guitar necks twist" into Google and there's enough information to keep you away from playing your Telecaster for weeks....

Did you buy the American Standard WITH the stripped truss rod, or did it happen whilst in your care? If so, HOW did you come to strip it, and WHY were you attempting to adjust the truss rod? Was it because you thought the neck was twisted?

Sorry for the questions - I just don't understand the reason for your thread..:oops:

5. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

No problems now. This was an old american standard from years ago. I bought it used and had to wait for new saddles and so there was no point paying for a set up ( I didn't know how to do one at the time or what to check for) by time I got the new saddles and took it to a tech I missed the return policy date so I couldn't return it. I took it to a Fender tech and he said the truss rod was just stripped and it would keep going back to a bad bow. I wound up just parting it out except for the neck. As for the twist I just wanted to know how to avoid it :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. Gorquin

Gorquin Tele-Meister

Not for a Tele but a Strat. Here's inflation for you. In 1972 I purchased a new Sunburst Stratocaster w/case & taxes from Sam Ash on 48th Street in NYC for $275 out the door. I first went to Manny's but those buttheads ignored me too long so I left and went to Sam Ash.

Anyway, that Strat was cool looking but had the worst neck I ever owned on a guitar. Fender must have been using too much green wood at the time because the neck kept twisting. I had to have it shaved and refretted 2x before it was OK. I kept it for 6 months and it was stable but I sold it because I was ticked off at the whole situation. That was not an isolated incident back then. That's one of the reasons it cracks me up when people pay so much for early 70's Fenders. IMO they had a LOT of Junk! Not all but a lot. I later purchased a '63 Strat for $225 w/case that someone butchered the finish on and painted it with varnish. It had a thin neck that I didn't like so I refinished it and traded it at a music store straight up for an almost new SG. Sorry for the rant. LOL

7. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Phew! I know how stoked you've been about your Blizzard Pearl Standard, and I had a horrible feeling that it had arrived with a twisted neck...:(

Panic over!...:D

8. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Lol no I haven't gotten that yet ,but I will have to inspect it. I've never seen a twisted neck so I'd only be able to see a bad case if it was in front of me. Though I don't think a 2010 would have one unless it was like left out in the snow all winter xD

9. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I've got 3 twisted 5A flamed maple 1-pc necks. One is even quartersawn.

Lesson learned. If your weather goes from very hot and humid to stoopid cold and dry, you may want to avoid highly figured necks.

10. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Not a twisted neck, but my early 90's AmStd tele had the finish on the neck start flaking off after I had the guitar for a few years. I guess it's sort of like a "relic" since I did actually play the finish off the neck.

Attached Files:

11. tele1951

tele1951 TDPRI Member

I had an awesome G&L ASAT Classic with a beautiful, flamey,birds-eye maple neck. The neck twisted and G&L replaced it with an almost as figured birdseye neck. It warped again. The retailer refunded my $$ and I assume they settled with G&L. I really didnt want to get rid of the guitar.

Lesson learned: the thing that makes birds-eye maple beautiful is that the wood is diseased/distressed. It can be unstable due to the "sickness" of the wood.

12. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

I bought a MIJ '62 RI Telecaster Custom; bound edge sunburst. The action was really high but I thought a decent set up would sort it. Two different luthiers confirmed that the neck was warped and with a lower action, it was unplayable between frets 1 & 5 as the neck was bending backwards.

I returned it to the shop ( who have recently made a bad news story over here) and coughed up another £150 for a U.S Standard tele - which was a way better guitar. U.S built from then on...

A fortnight later, that same guitar was for sale in the window...

13. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

I've played / owned / worked on quite a few necks with twists / backbow / warps.

A neck with a broken truss rod frustrates me the most... can't really fix it and if it's an old vintage neck you're basically stuck unless you really want to go into the process [and expense] of removing the fingerboard [if it has one] and installing a new rod.
    A few years back I got a stripped-down mid-fifties Tele that had an incurable backbow AND a side-to-side twist! The high "E" string was literally off of the fingerboard in the middle of the neck! The real sad part was that the neck was in almost new condition other then the obvious problems.
    One of my Fenders is a '66 Esquire with a HIGHLY flamed neck and it's been a rock-solid straight neck since I first got it [around 1978]. I've seen quite a few other flamed necks that were straight and solid, too. Just depends on the piece of wood.

14. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I had a '07 Hwy 1 tele with a rosewood finger board. I loved the look of the guitar but something about the neck didn't feel right. I thought it was the 'jumbo' frets and maybe it was. Just wasn't fun to play. It wasn't comfortable to me. Then guitar tech tells me he thinks the truss rod is stripped because it does not respond well to adjustments. I was disappointed in Fender's quality control. Maybe that wasn't it but in my experiene with Fender guitars (I've owned 5 or 6 over the years), it should not have left the factory like that.

15. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Yeah that is a shame. I agree it shouldn't have left the factory like that. Sometimes you get bad workers and sometimes a bad egg just slips through the cracks. I like medium jumbo frets myself :)

16. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

'66 Esquire I like the sound of that ;) It's a shame some guitars just get to that "unfixable" point ,especially the old ones :(

17. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Bought a James Burton signature Tele from Sam Ash a couple of years ago. It was one of the last solid color ones available-a real pretty white one. Apparently it had been hanging on the rack for quite a while. When it arrived the neck had way too much relief. I was kind of new to Fenders and not comfortable with doing the set up so I took it to my local Fender guy. The neck would not respond to adjustment and there was a finish problem with the guitar body. I ended up sending it back. SA refunded the full purchase price. I kind of hate that it didn't work out. It was an unusual Tele that would have been nice to own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.