Anyone have an out of the ordinary CS tele?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by hellopike, Aug 12, 2018.

1. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone here had the Custom Shop build them a telecaster that is out of the ordinary, or that really bucks tradition in some way? Crazy finishes, unusual pickup configurations come to mind. All the CS guitars are nice, but I'm talking stuff like Paul Frank designed Telecasters. Anyone?

p1_uxn0zjaq1_so.jpg fendercs-mbdw-psychedelicpostertele-cz529662-sold-f__wwg.jpg Screen-Shot-2015-08-25-at-11.27.00-AM.png

Fendereedo and noah330 like this.
  2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can't see paying Custom Shop price for something that looks IMO like the cheapest partscaster you could throw together.

jlott, Tulk, FenderScott and 3 others like this.
  3. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Wow. That’s pretty insulting! Enjoy your narrow-minded outlook on life.

hemingway and Ron Garson like this.
  4. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I kind of like the middle guitar as it has nice color to it. I bet guitars like that were common in the 70’s because the 70’s were colorful.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

I always wanted one to my exact specs, but that kind of money is out of my reach.

PhatBoy and hellopike like this.
  6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I’d like a blue paisley please.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I just can't see paying Custom Shop prices period. But, that is me, and my own opinion

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like freaky paintjobs on guitars. I don't own any but I'm tempted to build a partscaster and get creative with a paintbrush myself. Those above don't do anything for me, i'd probably do something more like a copy of some well known painting with a twist.

Skamania likes this.
  9. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

This Custom Shop MB by Chris Fleming was and is still my favorite from the art/ out of the ordinary guitars. I played it and it sounded great but not to comfortable to play with the skulls around the body. But great to look at for sure.

sktele1.jpg
    sktele5.jpg
    sktele6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  10. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I like flames, I like skulls, somehow this one doesn't do it for me. I'm more of a pinstripe guy. Like this...
    1104.jpg

11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I like the first and 3 rd one, and the tone to the bone as well.

12. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

the Mexican poncho custom shop always cracks me up.

13. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Pinstripe.... did a car detail persopn do that?

14. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

Nothing quite as flamboyant as the above beauties, but I've not seen another like my Tele, Black, double bound with maple neck. I love this guitar to pieces! IMG_1050.jpg

Skamania, Tommy Biggs and Fendereedo like this.
  15. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps not too much out of the ordinary, at least not from first looks, but still a little different in a slightly subtle way from most other Fender CS 'tele' type guitars.

I am referring to my "2015 Fender Limited Edition Custom Shop 1955 Relic Esquire with Tele Conversion Kit". Quite a mouthful.

I have always been a fan of certain single pickup guitars, and this included wanting a nice Fender version of their Esquire model. This particular guitar caught my eye when it first appeared in one of my local guitar haunts. It had just arrived brand new in the store.

Thankfully the dealer's name tag and description of the model was the real give away. Even I could figure out what hopefully this might possibly be.

Knowing that almost all (if not all) Fender Telecaster bodies are routed for two pickups, and knowing that this also included the Esquire versions, I was intrigued and hopeful.

The lightly relic'd body had arrived here in Canada with a 'Josefina' signed bridge pickup installed (confirmed in under two minutes with a screwdriver and the store's approval), which had sounded amazingly good to my ears. Removal of the the pick guard showed the 'normal' routing for an optional neck pickup, but something was wrong here. Where was the conversion 'kit' as described in the sales literature? Frustration and pleas from me for a little logic followed, until I was assured that I would be given a chance of first refusal should they eventually be able to get this thing sorted out.

It took a good three weeks or more for the conversion 'kit' to arrive, once Fender had finally acknowledged their shipping (?) error. I was now able to examine the kit and see what was included in the package. I was now feeling a little happier. There was the required alternate pick guard and a neck pickup which had also been hand signed by 'Josefina'. There were other bits and bobs that would be needed to convert this already magnificent instrument into a full blown 'Tele' should I eventually wish to go that route.

I am now more than happy with the outcome of this particular guitar. I have however not seen any other such 'conversion' models in the years since this one first appeared in the stores that I visit, or on line. I wonder why?

In retrospect the fact that the pickups are both hand signed by 'Josefina' was a big plus, as she is apparently the 'heiress apparent' to Abigail Yberrra at Fender. Not that I am in any way starstruck by these names, but that from my own experience any pickups that I have experience of that were wound by either of these two ladies have been more than good. Better than a "Joe Blow" unsigned set perhaps. YMMV.

Anyway, that is my 'out of the ordinary" telecaster experience. I still have the guitar; it's a keeper and will probably never get round to being converted to anything other than what it is. A guitar that I had always wanted; a quality built and reasonably affordable CS "Esquire".

A few photos .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My 2015 CS '1955' Esquire (to the viewers right) with a modified 2012/14 MIM 'Classic 50's' Esquire.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    idburn4u, Skamania and Fendereedo like this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I dig this...that's a gorgeous axe!

17. joewg3

joewg3 TDPRI Member

I did this one for my neighbor. Used a Strat neck and his name for the name on the headstock.

upload_2018-9-18_10-54-7.png

Skamania likes this.
  18. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, if you're interested in Paul Frank Gear, I can get you in touch with him about two amps he's selling. One's a Custom Paul Frank model made by satellite amps and one is a Rickenbacker amp. My wife works with Paul Frank.

19. 63superreverb

63superreverb TDPRI Member

keeper.jpg not a custom $hop, but a custom all the same

BobbyMac likes this.
  20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That book, the OP photos, Has lots of hideous pieces in it.

Skamania likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.