Anyone Have Advice for Teaching a 5 Yr Old.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Crowcaster, Oct 2, 2018.

1. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Good advice here. I just bought my 7-year old daughter a left-handed Hello Kitty mini-strat last week as she simply loves my guitars but they’re way too big for her and she always turns them over to play left handed. I hooked it up to my Roland Cube and she loved it. Thinking to find a good teacher nearby but am hesitant to find one who works good with kids unlike the one you describe above. The search starts...

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, that seems very very young. Almost too young to be teaching music.

My plan with my kids was to make clear that all my instruments are available to them and they should have fun with them. They haven't taken too much interest in them.

A friend put his guitar where his kids could get to it and then told them not to touch it. They taught themselves. Go figure.

Crowcaster and rich815 like this.
  3. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

When my son was around six I would tune his Mini Strat to Open G and show him how to move between major chords up and down the fret board with one finger. He could pick up on a C-D-G progression pretty quickly without a lot of finger strength or dexterity and felt like he was really playing, which did a lot to boost his love of the guitar. I figured that, at that age, if I made things any more technical, it would just destroy his love of playing.
    Tom

beagle and rich815 like this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

5 is too young

5. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I tried to start at age six (mid 70s) and was told my hands were too small. This was before small scale guitars were widely available.

My advice: Go to a professional music educator if you're serious. If you just want to have fun, I'd start with the major scale on one string, using the Sound of Music as a way to remember it. As a foundation, it's really solid imo.

6. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the input. Lots of good advice. I imagine we'll go on for a bit more and that'll be it, but I'll make sure and tell her about the 8 yr old I gave lessons to and what a difference a few years can make. Then if he still has an interest, we'll try again.

P Thought likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My four year old is more into turning knobs and switches. I’m buying her two turntables and a microphone for her 5th BD. :D

Crowcaster and beagle like this.
  8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Teach him to pee in the toilet, not on the rim, eat his vegetables, and be polite and respectful of his elders.

And yes, I’m an instructor... ;) :D

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

At 5yo you should just be planting the seed by playing Zeppelin, AC/DC, Hall & Oats, Sabbath, Beatles, Floyd etc at a lowish volume on repeat 24/7 in the house and when riding in the car. That way he will be considered weird by his peers at school due to his love of the classics so will be ostracised and left with plenty of free time to practice when he gets to around 11yo.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Crowcaster likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's always a bit disturbing to me when it seems that it's the parents with the desire, not the kid. Perhaps Mom or Dad learning to play would be a better influence on the child than any lessons they buy for him.

It's good of you to try, though. At least you'll learn a lot, whether the 5-year-old does or not.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Teach him 2 or 3 chords and give him simple, but fun, songs to sing..Then bit by bit slowly ease him in to learning the more advanced stuff..
    I've had young ones come around and play my ukulele..They don't want to leave..I have to run them off..

Crowcaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.