Anyone have a Weber Z-Matcher?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Feb 21, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I have been thinking of picking one of these up for comparing various amps with various speakers. Any of you own one? Are there any downsides to using a Z-Matcher? I'm guessing that it is just a big o' transformer with switches for primary and secondary windings.

I'm also wondering if using a Weber Mass attenuator (impedance swamping) on one of the parallel outputs for balancing speaker volumes might have any ill effects other than the usua tonal side effects of attenuators. I should probaby just hit up Weber with this question.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

No, but that would have been cool with all the speakers, amp heads. diff ohm outputs
    I have been through in my life. 4 ohm to 16...

3. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I have one and use it all the time (three amps + extra cabs). I've never noticed and change in tone, and in my research before buying I saw 99% positive reviews/comments.

4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

All depends on what your end use will be. $150 for something that'll do what this does seems kinda high...
    20200207_092139.jpg

It was $20 and an hour of soldering.

I once owned a Mass attenuator...for a couple of hours. I sent it back to Weber the day it arrived. It sucked the life out of the amp/speakers.

5. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Can you elaborate on what that thing is? My use case would be for experimenting with mixing speakers and amps from my super reverb (2 ohm output) and my other amps with higher output impedances (4 ohm to 16 ohm).

I'm not crazy about attenuators myself after having used one for a while. But since I already have the Mass I was thinking that it might be handy for use in conjunction with a Z-Matcher for mixing levels of various speakers.

On the Mass specifically, from what I have heard I think it isn't better/worse than other attenuators out there. I think they all probably just sound slightly different.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  6. rolandson

It provides a means for me to balance / match the load of a variety of speaker configurations to the requirements of whatever amplifier I'm fooling around with.

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Is that something you designed or is the circuit available somewhere?

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Well, I guess since ronaldson doesn't want to share
    I think I'm going to get one. Thanks for chiming in.

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bought one about a year ago to run a vintage cab I found that was the wrong impedence for my amp head....worked out great, doesn't alter the tone at all to my ears.

10. rolandson

To say that I "Designed" it would be embellishing my skill set considerably...but thank you for the compliment!!

All it is, is a platform to which I've attached one ¼" TS jack and 4 Female banana plugs (2 each red & black) appropriately wired together to make a single system. There are four of these systems on the platform.

It permits series/parallel configurations to match impedance requirements.

The only place where I would do it differently is being more precise with the banana plug spacing so that I could use the standardized dual plugs. But I spent all of 20 minutes planning it out.

Using it requires a comprehensive understanding of series and parallel loading...and a multimeter to confirm I'm not about to cook an output transformer.

I'm not here constantly.

11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I was just prodding you a bit. I thought that maybe you had something else going on other than a patching panel. For what I want to do, I think a transformer is a requirement.

12. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I have a new Gries 5 amp head coming in a couple of weeks, so I just pulled the trigger on a Z Matcher. That amp only has an 8 ohm tap. The Z matcher was cheaper than the two 16 ohm speakers that I was going to have to buy to put in my 2x10 cabinet (wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load).

And besides that, I already have quite a few 10” 8 ohm speakers that I’ll be able to try now with my new amp when it arrives.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.