1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone have a MIM Fat Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 1977CJ5, May 30, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Any of you have a MIM Tele that came stock with a humbucker in the neck? I'm looking at trading or buying from a friend. He bought his new in 1995. It is in nice shape. If you own one, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also, curious if you have an idea of value. His has a hard case also. There is one on EB right now for $499... I'm thinking this is pretty high, but I don't know. I was thinking maybe $300 - $350. Thanks in advance!

2. telo

telo Tele-Meister

Do a search for "tele special" (in quotation marks). I don't know why I sold mine - it was a great guitar.

3. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

Same here, I own a '95 Tele Special that I traded my bass player out of a few years ago.

I know they've made Fat Teles in the past, you can even get a Squier Std. Tele w/h-bucker in the neck.

And as a side note, the MIM Std. Tele and the squier CV50 and CVC are all routed for a H-bucker, so You could buy any of these used (or new for the squiers) and add a h-bucker and still save some money!

4. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I have both the CV50 and CVC. I have been thinking about getting another CVC and adding a humbucker. I absolutely love the CVC! I guess I'm kind of attracted to this MIM because it is an older discontinued model and is stock. Not real sure why...

5. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

1977CJ5, The thing that struck me about mine is how comfy the neck and the entire guitar are to play! I didn't know anything about the Tele Special until I asked here.

The only thing I don't care for is the neck h-bucker; just too dark for my taste, but that's a personal thing-others really like the tones.

If it were me, and you're already familiar with the Squier CV's, I'd get another and put in a 'bucker of your choice. You KNOW you're gonna love it then!

6. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I used to own it's direct descendant, the California Fat Tele. The guitars were very similar in specs.

The humbucker they used was pretty dark, but it sounded very much like a decent Tele neck pickup when split, which is part of why it was so dark as a 'bucker. I swapped it for a Duncan '59, which was much better as a humbucker, but makes a weak and toneless single coil when split.

I sold mine a long time ago, probably 2004, for $450. Someone snagged it from the classifieds here just hours after I posted it, so I'm sure I was asking way too little.

I'd expect the MIM version to go for around $400-450 when you can find them. I don't think $499 is outlandish, but it probably is an optimistic price.

7. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

I had one and it was a nice guitar. You'd VERY lucky to find one for $350. I reckon $500 (give or take) is more realistic.

[​IMG]

8. caytele

caytele Tele-Meister

..i own one...that was rescued from a hurricane devastated residence here in the Cayman Islands..its a pretty pale blue...and after cleaning it up ..i found that half of the 'bucker was dead..only the tapped section worked...but that sounded real good to my ears...!.I have been actively seeking a replacement Fender 'bucker (does anyone know if these are available anywhere?)..but no luck...I really liked the sounds that i could hear(it has a 5 way switch)....if its in good nick, and with a hardshell case...449.00 does'nt sound unreasonable...

9. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

I have one coming to me for $345. It's been modded with a vintage bridge, 5 way pickup selector and a rosewood neck. One of the prettiest and more unique and affordable tele's I've seen. I think the MIM's only came with maple necks. Still working some angles though...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.