Anyone have a Char-Broil infrared grill?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Apr 7, 2020.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Curious about these. I am tired of buying propane in due to kids, don’t like to wait on charcoal to get ready.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Used to be in charge of that part of the store a few years ago. Never bought one, but researched and had customers report back anecdotal evidence to support:

The infrared sensors work great for a season or 2 then get gunked up and its just a regular gas grill for the rest of its service life. (Which is probably another couple years, CB isn't junk, it's just not as long lasting as Webers....)

So.... better control at lower temps is a thing, not quite as likely to have a flare up kill dinner, and kinda less effort because of that.

SacDAve likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Get an underground propane tank.

I use mine for a cook top, a fireplace and my BBQ. I get it filled every 18 months or so.

4. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I have one of these
    https://www.amazon.ca/Char-Broil-TRU-Infrared-Patio-Bistro-Electric/dp/B002DM1Z5C

guy I knew was throwing it away a couple years ago.
    I use it a lot,
    Doing ribs right now actually.

Not sure if this is the type you are asking about,
    But mine works fine after a couple years.
    Currently it’s my only cooking surface.
    And I got it used.

only thing to watch is you don’t want to spend a lot of time with the lid open, it loses heat fast, especially in winter.
    I’m in Canada though.....
    Takes a while to build heat back up as well.
    I simply plug it in maybe 20 minutes ahead of time.
    I’m used to bbq using charcoal or wood, 20 minutes wait time is fine for me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a char-broil infrared grill one of the worst things I've ever bought after 3 years of trying to keep it working I gave it away. I bought a weber natural gas grill no comparison to quality. The cost of natural gas to propane is so much less, the Char-broil says it can be converted to NG by taking jets out no it can't does not work I tried. As much as I like my weber gas grill steaks still go on the weber charcoal grill.

Dan R likes this.
  6. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

Charbroils are not as well built as Weber. The infrared is a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. YMMV but I had one of the infrared for 3 years and the side walls were rusting out and it had its cover on when not in use. It was just flimsy construction to the Weber. The Weber is solidly built and won't wobble like the charbroil when you close the lid. Yes the Weber is expensive but it is worth the investment. Over a period of ten years you can go through 2 to 3 charbroils or have one Weber.

SacDAve likes this.
  7. E5RSY

I know there are a lot of hybrid units out there, as described by many above. This is the one I was referring to. All electric.

Char-Broil TRU-InfraRed Patio Bistro 240 Electric Grill

[​IMG]

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I had one that the salesman swore by. I tried the infrared burner twice and destroyed steaks both times. I never used the IR part again. It lasted almost 18 months until rust did it in

It may have just been my luck but I’d never get another grill with an IR burner.

BTW, mine was propane

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I understand the propane aversion, and got rid of my gas grill in favor of my standard Weber charcoal grill. I have heard good things about this particular IR grill, although I've not yet bought/used one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00365FIAS/?tag=tdpri-20

10. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I still have a Weber Kettle, got a Weber Spirit II last year and love it. Contemplating either a Weber or Traeger smoker. The convenience and safety (healthwise) of propane is the main reason I have the Spirit II. I got tired of having to replace gas grills on a regular basis so I went with Weber. One of the best in all three categories

11. E5RSY

Heard good things about Traeger.

12. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got a 3 burner one similar to this.

Charbroil grill.png

It takes a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it works pretty well. It can get really hot if you're not careful. You definitely have to use hot and cool zones (easier to do with a 3+ burner, harder with a 1 or 2 burner). I've had mine for probably 3-4 years and it's still in good shape. I keep it covered and also on a covered patio.

One thing that I've found to be really important is cleaning the grill before and after every use. I've owned many gas grills, and my neglect in cleaning was probably their major downfall. So my routine is pretty simple. After grilling, turn the burners on high for about 6-7 minutes (I use a timer so I don't forget about it), and then let it cool down before covering . Before grilling (it needs to be cool) I clean and brush both the grates and the IR plates. I wear my heavy leather grilling gloves and use the provided scraping tool and a heavy duty nylon grill brush.

It's great for grilling, and for slow cooking if you don't want smoke. But for a long slow cook, like ribs or a brisket, I still use my smoker. I have it connected to my 500 gallon propane tank that I use for my house, which is really handy to not have to swap out propane tanks all the time.

Now I'm hungry!

Cheers,
    Doug

13. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My brother has a Traeger pellet smoker and he really likes it.

They seem to be pretty pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Cheers,
    Doug

14. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Traegers are somewhat over priced and many times lacking in basic features when comparing to other good units of similar size.They are good smokers, no question there.
    I used Weber charcoal grills for decades, went to a Weber propane grill a year ago and now a month ago added a Pit Boss Pellet smoker.
    The pellet smoker is a freakin fantastic piece of gear. Very easy to use and holy crap do they make great smoked anything.
    The propane grill is great for steaks or burgers, I'll keep it around just for that purpose. There is nothing I have ever used that can touch what the pellet smoker can do with a rack of baby backs or brisket or chicken.. Nothing else comes close..
    side note:
    The guy, Joe Traeger, who invented the pellet smoker and started Traeger grills, sold his company back in 2007'ish and he actually now designs grill for Pit Boss.

Danb541 likes this.
  15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

My Weber Genesis gas grill is now about 7 years old. I use it a lot but I take care of it, covering it up after each use and it still looks like new. This is my 3rd Weber and what I like about them is that I can still get most of the replacement parts for them; I just put new flavorizer bars and new grates in mine.

I still have a Weber kettle though. It doesn't get used that much but when I cook a couple of really good steaks, or wild-caught planked salmon, nothing beats charcoal however messy it is.

Tommyd55 and stxrus like this.
  16. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I have a pellet smoker and a weber charcoal grill. Weber for steaks and burgers, smoker for the rest. Gas and infrared... that's not BBQ. I would buy a George Foreman grill before an infrared. I used to have one, they work good. I see where gas has its place, wanting to grill outside and all but you don't get the flavor you do with charcoal and/or wood.

17. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister

I have an indoor contraption called a NuWave that I think is infrafed. Never use it, though - but then, my grill is a propane job.

18. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Just added Pit Boss to my list. I don’t mind paying a bit more for quality
    I think a new full size Kettle is around $100.00. I paid about $400.00 for my Spirit. Wish I could justify a Genesis

20. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

At least with the Weber you should get like at least 5 years or more out of it if you take care of it.. They do steaks and general grilling pretty good.
    I noticed your location.. can you get a Pellet grill and pellets there.. ? I'm going to be going back to Roatan soon for probably a long time and figured a Pellet smoker and Pellets will not even be available there and I can only imagine what the grill and pellets would cost there even if you could get them..
    .. I'll probably go back to a small propane for quick grilling and another charcoal configuration for other things.. just because of availability in the local Roatan market.

My Pit Boss is solid.. Pro Series 820. Of course if you want wifi control you have to pay more.. I personally don't need it as I am usually going to be home anytime I have something on but I can see where the Wi-Fi setup could be real handy..
    Here's a good video on how it could work .. plus this guy and his youTube channel are great..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.