Anyone have a car maintenance policy they like???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Jan 31, 2021.

1. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

do my own stuff also. and once I started doing it I realized how much my mechanics were screwing me.

SRHmusic likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"Certified pre-owned" is better than nothing...however, remember that you can get Cs and Ds all through med school and still graduate.

Similarly, not all mechanics are the same. A solid impartial look at a used car by someone you trust is always a good idea and worth the usually reasonable fee.

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's common for mechanics to compensate for their inexperience by "shooting the parts cannon" at the problem--without diagnosing the real cause for some malfunction. A really good mechanic is like a good plumber, electrician, or doctor: you're not just paying for parts and hourly labor charge, you're paying for their experience and their ability to understand what needs to be done to fix the problem.

boris bubbanov and MarkieMark like this.
  4. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I assume we are talking about extended warranty.

I'd suggest its your decision. Gamble at your own risk. Read the fine print and think it through clearly.

And one thing I would strongly suggest is discussing this with your regular mechanics. And perhaps a few seasoned service writers.
    Specifically asking them how they feel about jumping through hoops, spending extra time and effort to submit an estimate to a third party that wants to negotiate their labor rate, labor times and whos parts to use and what markup they will pay on those parts that take extra time and effort to acquire. Ask the mechanic how they feel about taking a hit on a job because of a plan of which he never did and never will get a cut of the sale.

I think you might get where I am going with this?
    The only winner on average is the people who profit at the point of sale.
    Consumer beware.

5. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Never.

99% of the time, they will find the clause in your 17 page "warranty" that lets them off the hook.

Even if you have a rock solid case, They will always have a legal team.. that is better than the one you can afford.

SRHmusic likes this.
  6. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the local car dealership is hotbed of trustworthy guys you can make a face to face handshake deal with :lol:

7. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

yup...

I went to a little guy shop, to give them business and get away from dealer $120/hr rate (Honda).

had power steering groan during start up. mech said I needed new pump and HP line (leak) - $1300. long story short...after a simple Google search, problem was a $5 o-ring on input side of pump. super easy fix. never was a leak. running fine after 100k miles. no leaks.

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Never ever had any maintenance plan on any vehicle. So why in the hell do they keep robocalling every week that my policy has expired?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Infinite Auto Protection is not a good choice!

10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Is the question about a maintenance plan or a warranty? And what do you hope to gain or avoid with it?

I don't see any reason ever to purchase an extended warranty. It's the single highest profit margin item in some businesses. Avoid trouble by buying a good car to start with.

We've had a good experience with the maintenance plan from the Mazda dealer when buying new, but that's not a warranty. It just gives a (steep) discount for using them for regular maintenance (by paying up front), and we stick with the factory schedule.

This has worked for us:
    Get a AAA membership or check if your insurance has a towing benefit. Buy a car that's not rare, from a few years after a major model change, from a manufacturer with good long term reliability (not the initial quality survey). Find out from locals what the decent repair shops or dealer service shops are. Assume something will break, keep some cash in reserve for that. Stay ahead of problems by paying attention. Don't forget oil changes, and don't run on old tires.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  11. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I once looked into this when considering an "entry-level luxury" vehicle.

Probably the best advice was to take however much I'd spend on a warranty/maintenance policy, put it in an interest-bearing account or other easy-to-access low-risk investment, and use it for the car repair/maintenance. The money would very likely outlast the warranty, and maybe even the car.

If you're curious, I didn't buy the "entry-level luxury" car, and instead bought a Mazda 3. It's now over 8 years old, 100K miles and has only needed basic maintenance, brakes, and tires.

I also used the money I didn't spend on a fancy car with higher-maintenance cost as justification for buying two guitars.

SRHmusic likes this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

We have the same on a CX-9 we bought a couple years ago. Cost was $3k. I'm not so sure it was worth it, looking back. I don't think we've had $3,000 worth of work done on it by them in the interim.

13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Here is the reasonable and economical plan you seek with no gimmicks, waste, and unmet expectations:

1. Prepare spreadsheet with estimated maintenance and repair for age of car.

2. Add 20% to if for margin of caution.

3. Set up a specific bank account for a car maintenance reserve.

4. Maintain a credit card with no balance and use it for surprises and draw from reserve account to cover the bill.

5. Join AAA Gold level plan for the towing and roadside assistance that is better than what you get from an insurance company. The family add-on plan is most economical.

6. Put the car on a periodic maintenance plan (test the battery, replace battery every 4 years, test alternator, change oil regularly service rear end, change vacuum hoses, change oil and other fluids regularly, get transmission serviced on proper interval) to avoid breakdowns and surprises.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I can't imagine paying for a car maintenance policy of any kind. I do my own repairs and have since I was a teenager, I'm a do it yourself guy. Build my own guitars, service my own amps, change my oil and do my own car repairs and pretty much everything else. I can rebuild an engine or transmission but I don't have a code reader for newer cars. There are a few things I pay to have done like tires.

My current car I bought new in 2009 and it has 221k miles. besides oil, filters, brake pads and batteries the only parts I have changed is the alternator and belt. Any kind of car maintenance warranty would have been a really bad waste of money.

Henley likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well put.

The contract is written in such a way, you'd have to go to trial to beat them -except. Except the dispute is stipulated in writing, it must be resolved by Arbitration. You signed it. No genuine "Court" for you. And those boys at Arbitration know their guys by name and were there when the other guy's babies were Christened. Success happens once in fifty cases.

For Public Relations Purposes, they do pay a certain number of claims, when they're in the right mood. They condescend to pay you, now and again.

They don't actually pay their counsel much money, though. These are the guys who got Ds in Law School, a lot of the time. You don't need great lawyers to win cases that almost anyone could win with one eye open.

Anyway, they could get out of paying, any old time. Often they just pay. They don't worry about what's in the contract. But since the purpose of the insurance is to KNOW the bill will be paid, the insurance is ill advised and dumb. You can only "know" that the dice will be thrown.

16. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ours was $600, covers all scheduled maintenance for two years, about four or five visits, and state inspection for free for as long as we own it. It was at worst a wash when we calculated it.

17. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I do not believe in extended warranties,. that is unless I'm selling them and making 60% of the total cost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.