Anyone have a B&G?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Nubs, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Had some keen interest when the high end original versions came out. But not in my price range.
    Wasn't aware they had produced this less expensive model. Dang.
    Been mulling over hollow body options and might have to add this to the list.
    Nice that there's a lefty version.

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I wish!

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never played one but did look up some info on them a few years ago - the originals are made in Israel and the lower price models are made in China with Korean-made electronics. They do offer an upgrade to the Israeli-made electronics on the lower price models.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I'm fairly certain they they're thinline and not fully hollow. If I'm wrong please let me know so I can take another look...

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I believe you are correct - chambered mahogany body, not fully hollow. I don't always remember to qualify that difference. In any event, I did remember that there was a pretty cool video on their youtube channel, "Making Guitars - step inside the B&G workshop" I particularly liked their radius-making machine.

But you can see in the video where they just rout out the chamber in a solid mahogany block. Maple cap, in the video, but I think they offer a figured mahogany top as well.

cnlbb likes this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I was looking for one of those... but in the way I came across a Gibson LP CPP'18 with P90s and GAS is gone so far

8. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

I've always wondered about these, I think this is a good thread to ask - what is the appeal of these guitars, objective or subjective? Not really into the look but I understand they are sought after.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have had GAS for one for quite sometime. A Montana band named, "Mudslide Charley"'s lead guitarist, Marco Littig plays one at every gig and he rocks it in a southern blues style. He has let me play it a bit unplugged afterwards just so that I could get a feel for it. Also, there is a YouTube guitar teacher that plays one off and on, "Active Melody.com" for more sound samples. They are sweet sounding and sort of between a parlor and a 00 in size. @John C has got the history right. I keep thinking that I should enter the P-90 world with something less expensive, but I sure love the way they feel and sound.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I had been thinking if building a knockoff for myself and calling it Step Sister but they beat me to it with their import models.

11. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

If you folks have not looked on reverb.com lately I see a few private build and crossroads series available currently. Crossroads prices I’ve seen on reverb are in the 1200 to 1500 range. They look down right affordable compared to the private build models.

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I think they are interesting, had no idea they made an cheaper Far East model I’m gonna look into them

13. Rudy44

Rudy44 TDPRI Member

The B&G "Cedars of Lebanon" guitar was certainly my inspiration to putting this together after a friend gave me an unused Seymour Duncan 59' pickup he had stuck in a drawer for the last 15 years. The neck is 1-3/4" nut width and it's built on a 24-3/4" scale length. Carved top and back plates (1/4" thick), fully chambered body (no center neck or pickup support inside body).

The problem is that it's so much fun to play that I have yet to do the final tear-down to apply body finish. I've played it almost daily for 3 months now...

[​IMG]

Nubs and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.