Anyone have 2 tone controls? How do you like it?

Gaz_

Tele-Holic
For me, on my stock american standard tele, I don't need two tones. But, on my 12 string tele, I find that two volumes and two tones is essential. This is mainly because of the pickup balance. At the moment, it's got a humbucker in the bridge and a creamery toaster in the neck. Having separate tones and volumes allows me to sculpt the sound how I like. So, right now, I'm going middle position, but with the neck pickup on full, bridge pickup, dialed back slightly with the tone turned up. I get the thick full body of the neck, but with a little biting shimmer from the 'bucker.

I would say that pickups dicate the need for separate controls. A well balanced set, probably alright with just the one.

Caveat to all of this though, I'm a set it and leave player.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I love my les paul for the fact that I can have independent tone and volume controls for each pup - I find that a VERY flexible arrangement, and that guitar is just jammed full of tones.

I also love my telecaster for the fact that I have one master volume, and one master tone, and I can just get on with playing it. Despite the tonality of the LP, the telecaster is the one that gets the most attention from me.

My strat however, hmmmm. I find the bridge too shrill, and having no tone control doesnt do anything to tame that. I like the tone on the neck pickup, and use that quite a bit, but the middle pickup and the inbetween "quack" positions I dont really care for that much. That guitar just sits around looking purdy....

Why not move the mid tone to the bridge pickup on the Strat?

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
I use jazz bass type dual concentric pots, keeps everything else stock.
I wish someone made a decent long shaft version for my rear routs

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I could never find the tone balance in a playing situation on the fly with 2 tone pots, so I made the last pot a TBX tone for the whole guitar , middle pot a volume for the middle pickup and the top pot for the bridge and neck pickups
(also a 3 way way switch 1=neck 2=neck /bridge, 3= britdge ) now I love my strats . I can blend in the mid pickup in any switch position or have all 3 pickups on at once.