Anyone have 2 tone controls? How do you like it?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I love separate tone and volume controls. That way I can flip from rythym to lead with the flick of a switch. Also I can control the amount of blend in the middle position. I could get by with one tone control if the neck pickup was taken off it. I never roll down the tone on the neck pickup, but I always do on the bridge pickup.

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
Hmm. Maybe i should make a few plates for 3 pots. Been crankin out some this week in various materials

20220802_233051.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I'd like to have both bass AND treble controls! But that would require an active circuit....

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'd like to have both bass AND treble controls! But that would require an active circuit....
No, it doesn’t. It can be done with passive tone controls. I like to have bass cut if and when I am in high gain. It helps maintain note articulation.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
No, it doesn’t. It can be done with passive tone controls. I like to have bass cut if and when I am in high gain. It helps maintain note articulation.
Yes, but you can only cut right? not add? Have I got that right? SO.... like on a Stereo amp you can add both Treble and Bass and max both if you wish. But on a guitar you can change the balance of the two by cutting one, but it's a bit more anemic...? hard to explain... ie: as you add treble you lose bottom end...

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yes, but you can only cut right? not add? Have I got that right? SO.... like on a Stereo amp you can add both Treble and Bass and max both if you wish. But on a guitar you can change the balance of the two by cutting one, but it's a bit more anemic...? hard to explain... ie: as you add treble you lose bottom end...

well, when I cut treble, the bass stays the same. When I cut bass, The treble remains. It works.
Anemic?? Perhaps so in that passive circuits can only cut the selected frequencies, but then I have no use personally for active circuits in a guitar. Ommv.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
well, when I cut treble, the bass stays the same. When I cut bass, The treble remains. It works.
Anemic?? Perhaps so in that passive circuits can only cut the selected frequencies, but then I have no use personally for active circuits in a guitar. Ommv.
Yeah, I'm just thinking back and .......like with my Super Reverb, it sounded way different with all tone pots at say 7 than it does with all tone pots at say 4. etc.
But I suppose pot type matters.....

G Stone496

TDPRI Member
Both one volume and one tone and two volumes and two tone guitars are useable and I like them both. I just approach them differently. On a one of each guitar I will have the tone dimed on the neck pickup alone or in the middle. When I switch to the bridge pickup I’ll roll the tone back a little. I might also increase the volume on the bridge pickup a little, but depending on the song, on some guitars the bridge alone is already a bit louder without increasing the volume.

On a two of each guitar, I’ll adjust the tones and volumes ahead of time and just use the pickup selector.

Also most amps I use are two channel, so I’ll just set the knobs on the amp and use the footswitch to toggle between sounds.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
The only time I've ever found two tone controls useful was in a G&L with Magnetic Field Design pickups - but those are a different animal from most guitars.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The only time I've ever found two tone controls useful was in a G&L with Magnetic Field Design pickups - but those are a different animal from most guitars.
I have used a treble/bass control circuit in guitars with pickups other than G&L, and I have had excellent results.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I love my les paul for the fact that I can have independent tone and volume controls for each pup - I find that a VERY flexible arrangement, and that guitar is just jammed full of tones.

I also love my telecaster for the fact that I have one master volume, and one master tone, and I can just get on with playing it. Despite the tonality of the LP, the telecaster is the one that gets the most attention from me.

My strat however, hmmmm. I find the bridge too shrill, and having no tone control doesnt do anything to tame that. I like the tone on the neck pickup, and use that quite a bit, but the middle pickup and the inbetween "quack" positions I dont really care for that much. That guitar just sits around looking purdy....

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I prefer master volume and two tone controls. It is useful if you want to dial back a little on the lead pickup but keep the clarity and edge on the rhythm pickup. Extends the use of the lead pickup in my opinion to have a little less bite on the lead pick up for heavier riffing in blues and rock settings. Setting up the second tone with a concentric pot as below doesn't detract too much from the look or the mechanics imo. Purists of course won't like this one little bit. Oh and you may notice the Firebird mini bucker in the rhythm position. Another of my favourite diversions from standard.

View attachment 1011367
I have my telecaster set-up in the same way, with a firebird in the neck. Did you do the 500k pot thing with the mini humbucker, or are they 250k pots? I find the firebird in mine can be too bassy, unless i max the treble, at which point the bridge becomes too shrill. I guess though with the dual tone pot as above then that becomes less of an issue?