Anyone have 2 tone controls? How do you like it?

AV64LPBlue

TDPRI Member
I've been a Strat Player for most of my life but recently bought a Tele and I'm really loving it. On my Strats I always wired my neck and middle pickups to the middle tone control and the bridge pickup to the bottom control and have always loved this setup. I'm finding myself wishing that I had separate tone controls for each pickup on my Telecaster and I'm thinking about getting a control plate that will allow for a second tone control along with angled mounting for the selector switch.

Any disadvantages to this? If you have done it do you find the knobs too close together to make quick adjustments?

Any input you can provide on this setup would be appreciated.

This is the control plate I'm thinking about.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got guitars with two tone controls, but I don't like it. I came to the conclusion a year or so ago that I just want one volume, one tone, and a pickup switch. Doesn't fit about half my stable, but I'm gonna head that direction as I acquire new stuff.
I’m with you — the main controls for me have got to be master volume, master tone (rarely adjusted) and 3-way switch. I’ve modified the guitars that didn’t fit that pattern so they did.

Two tone controls is one of the Strat’s design fails as far as I am concerned — which makes it extra baffling to me that PRS carried this into not one but two Strat-a-likes in recent years (Silver Sky and Fiore).

I am happy with things like the Jazzmaster rhythm circuit (rarely used, but I like to have it), or a push-pull on my 3-pickup guitar to get the pickup combos, or for that matter a whole extra set of switches & volume control for the GK-3 hex pickup on two of my guitars — but the main controls have to be kept simple.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I've been a Strat Player for most of my life but recently bought a Tele and I'm really loving it. On my Strats I always wired my neck and middle pickups to the middle tone control and the bridge pickup to the bottom control and have always loved this setup. I'm finding myself wishing that I had separate tone controls for each pickup on my Telecaster and I'm thinking about getting a control plate that will allow for a second tone control along with angled mounting for the selector switch.

Any disadvantages to this? If you have done it do you find the knobs too close together to make quick adjustments?

Just buy a Jazzmaster and start a JMDP forum?

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m with you — the main controls for me have got to be master volume, master tone (rarely adjusted) and 3-way switch. I’ve modified the guitars that didn’t fit that pattern so they did.
I need to do my two Strats; probably just swap pickguards and keep the stock ones intact.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member

Another option is to have the neck pickup with no tone control and the tone pot just for the bridge. Many play the neck pickup full up on bright anyway.

MatchlessMan

Tele-Holic
If you have a tone control for each pickup of your Tele you will lose some treble when both pickups are engaged. Have you considered having the tone control connected only to the bridge pickup?

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
You could also use a push-pull tone pot that assigns itself to either pickup. Or a mini toggle, but as others have pointed out there isn't a lot of space on a Tele control plate.

Another option would a dual-concentric tone pot. I've had those in the past. Felt clumsy at first, but one can get used to it.

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
I prefer master volume and two tone controls. It is useful if you want to dial back a little on the lead pickup but keep the clarity and edge on the rhythm pickup. Extends the use of the lead pickup in my opinion to have a little less bite on the lead pick up for heavier riffing in blues and rock settings. Setting up the second tone with a concentric pot as below doesn't detract too much from the look or the mechanics imo. Purists of course won't like this one little bit. Oh and you may notice the Firebird mini bucker in the rhythm position. Another of my favourite diversions from standard.

20220620_171919.jpg

AV64LPBlue

TDPRI Member
I prefer master volume and two tone controls. It is useful if you want to dial back a little on the lead pickup but keep the clarity and edge on the rhythm pickup. Extends the use of the lead pickup in my opinion to have a little less bite on the lead pick up for heavier riffing in blues and rock settings. Setting up the second tone with a concentric pot as below doesn't detract too much from the look or the mechanics imo. Purists of course won't like this one little bit. Oh and you may notice the Firebird mini bucker in the rhythm position. Another of my favourite diversions from standard.

View attachment 1011367

I like that. Where did you get it?

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I have a Squier Super Sonic that has two independent volumes and a three way toggle switch (no tone control), and I like that a lot--when you're in the middle position and roll down the volume of the "non-dominant" pickup, it attenuates high frequencies in a pleasing way that is different from a tone control. It would be interesting in a Telecaster.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I've got guitars with two tone controls, but I don't like it. I came to the conclusion a year or so ago that I just want one volume, one tone, and a pickup switch. Doesn't fit about half my stable, but I'm gonna head that direction as I acquire new stuff.
That's me to a "T". I grant an exception to the bass roll off on my Reverend.
Purists of course won't like this one little bit.
I wouldn't do that, don't consider myself a purist though. Just like to keep things straightforward.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
The G&L PTB approach works really really well on Strat style guitars. You get a global tone knob and a global bass knob.

I forget which G&L models they put it on (Legacy? Comanche?) but it basically goes on any guitar they can put 3 knobs on.

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
Over the years I've had several guitars with multiple tone controls: a couple of Strats, a Les Paul, 2 ES-335s and 3 Rics (2 volumes, 2 tones and a blend knob). When I finally got my first Tele, I immediately felt the joy of having 1 volume, 1 tone and a simple 3-way p/u selector - so simple, uncluttered and so surprisingly versatile! All the knobs on my Tele are useful, and they all make differences. I use all the controls, but I find myself able to concentrate more on listening & playing, and less on knob-fiddling. Don't hear that I've lost or given up anything in the trade-off.

Lacking Talent

Tele-Holic
What I've got on this modded Gretsch is a 3-way toggle pickup selector, master volume knob on the cutaway side's horn, treble cut knob nearest the bridge, and bass cut knob behind that. Works great!

20211116_160112.jpg