1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone happy with their inexpensive(cheap) guitar?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Billy3, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

I have a squire affinity telecaster and love it. Modded the heck out of it. I'm a lefty. 5 way switch, (b, bn, n, neck w/cap, bn series). Tbx tone pot, push pull volume pot for out of phase,true bypass mini toggle switch. Put in some gm alnico 2s. Brass block saddles. Bone nut. I've got all the things I like. Have YOU ! Is the real deal that much different? Keep on pickin!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. Tele_Luvr

Tele_Luvr TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Almost all of my guitars are sub-$200 guitars, and I’ve modded the heck out of ‘em. And yes, I’m very happy with all of them :)

3. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

VERY. Godin Summit SG P90- £400 used (basically an LP Junior interpretation)

Only Gibson I've owned was a 90's LP Studio, so can't really compare- but the build quality is amazing for the ticket price and it has a fantastic Tele-ish medium C neck with a wide, well spaced board. Tall thin frets like my Am Pro.

Definitely a keeper!

maxmagnus, Maguchi, Wyzsard and 2 others like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have two Squier Bullet Teles, two Squier HH Teles (one Contemporary and one Affinity that I put some GFS Retrotrons in), a CV 70s Strat, a CV Mustang, and an Oscar Schmidt OS-300 Strat, and I love them all. I did replace the ceramic pickups in the Bullet Teles and the Oscar Schmidt with nice alnicos. The Contemporary and the two CVs are stock.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have an Affinity Strat, bought for two reasons. Firstly, and the main reason, is it's pink. The second reason is because I wanted a pink Strat to play about with.
    It now sports a single pickup, one volume control, no tone control, and it's a joy to play. Did I mention that it's pink?
    I bought a cheap hollow body from the UK retailer Dawsons under their Redwood brand. It has a pickup attached to the base of the neck rather than the body. It came with a trapeze tailpiece and a floating Tune-O-Matic on a piece of faux rosewood. It also came with an action the Forth bridge was envious of, and frets so sharp, all salami within a 500yd radius were nervous. I mantled a new wooden bridge, dressed, filed, smoothed and corrected the frets, dressed the nut, oiled the fretboard, fitted flatwounds, and it's now rather fun to play.
    It's a set neck, double bound with bound neck and F-holes, mahogany/sapele throughout with a rosewood 'board. It stays in tune and sounds great both acoustically ( it's loud! ) and through an amp. The frets have sprouted a little and will need another edge-dress.

Yes, I'm happy. Cheap/inexpensive guitars bought with both eyes wide open and expectations levels adjusted to 'reality' can be fun.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep.. the best Tele I ever played I now own.. a MIM 50’s Baja with its stock pickups. I was actually about to get a US Deluxe with the compound radius neck or a 52 RI, then was blown away by a rusty stringed cheap model i came upon by chance.

My number one gigging guitar is not a ‘name’ brand... a Fretking,, but its stunning and just hits all the targets for tone, flexibility and ease of playing... 3x P90 with a 5 way got everything needed. It will do 90% of numbers at a gig.. often all of them.

I played a Tokai 50’s strat copy for around 20yrs from my music college days when I could not afford a US model. It was every bit as good as anything you could get instrument wise.

7. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Depends on what cheap means to you I suppose. My Baja and Epi Dot are never leaving my possession voluntarily and would be considered cheap by many. They are expensive compared to the Oscar Schmidt Delta King and Jay Turser SG clone that I sold a few years ago. I had no intention to get rid of those guitars, as both played and sounded great, but a change in circumstances caused a downsize and I was only able to keep the Baja and an acoustic. Both of those cheap guitars were each less than $200CDN. The Turser was bone stock and never had a setup, it was great out of the box. When I bought The Delta King I had a GraphTech bridge and nut installed with the setup...yes even with that it was under $200 new. The Dot was acquired last year and after a proper setup it became a keeper.

Wyzsard, Billy3 and Fendereedo like this.
  8. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I had an Affinity Tele for years that played and sounded well outside of its price range. I eventually traded it for an acoustic 12 string, but it's on the list of guitars I wish I still had. If you like how it plays and sounds, and especially if it is modded and setup how you want it, who cares what it cost?

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

My CVC is my cheaper guitar, and gets the most play I suppose, probably because it's always on the stand. I modded a little bit, jack plate, Wilkinson tuners, Fender bridge and saddles, and a few minor bits. The neck is amazingly good to play, no sharp fret ends etc. Pickups are stock and I'm more than happy to keep them that way.

beagle, Wyzsard and Tele-friend like this.
  10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

As this is in the Squier forum I assume you're talking Squiers?

I only have one at the moment, a Jag bass that's perfectly adequate for my needs.

The only other Squier I ever had was a 90s tele that went through a few owners before it was gifted to me. Or rather it was dumped on me. It was possibly the worst guitar I've ever had. But maybe I just had a dud.

My only other "cheap" guitar that I still use is a G&L Tribute, which is terrific, especially with some Bootstrap P90s in it.

I had a Harley Benton goldtop and it was fine, but I didn't get on with it. Not sure I'd bother with another HB.

Wyzsard and Fendereedo like this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Yes, my avatar is my number 1. MiM Standard, shop damaged and bought on a whim about 4 years ago, about £400. Most hardware and electrics replaced (I bought it to tinker with) and everything just clicks together beautifully. Just lucky. I've got some instruments 4 or 5 times the cost, but this is the one I'll grab if there's a fire.

12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I haven’t gotten good enough to justify a pricey model. Even if I reach that level of proficiency, I pretty happy with the lower-priced guitars I’ve acquired. Most of mine are between $130 and $500.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Last year, my then-boss gave me an old Harmony single-cut electric beater her son was throwing out. A friend who knows things rehabbed it. I tuned it to open G, so now I have a dedicated slide. Its DiMarzios sound like Mick Taylor and Duane Allman had a baby.

Yee-ha!

Reivaj, Wyzsard, telejnky and 3 others like this.
  14. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I am enjoying a guitar I assembled from a Muslady kit, price 78 dollars, plus 20 bucks for new pickguard material, and 16 dollars for single Firebird-style pickup (see avatar). It plays far better than it ought to.

15. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2005 Korean made Epiphone '56 gold top Les Paul I bought 8-10 years ago. I played it "stock" for a couple of years and decided to upgrade the components, ALL the components. I decided to take the plunge and spend the extra $ because I loved the neck and fretwork. The intonation is spot-on. It's also a nice looking guitar.

I completely gutted it and installed new high quality P-90s, pots, switch, jack and tuners. I even used new shielded wiring throughout, as well as copper shielding tape in all the cavities. It's not as prestigious as some of my other guitars, but I love it and use it along side my expensive guitars without reserve.

16. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love my CV Thinline tele.
    The guitar looks great. It plays,and sounds as good as it looks.
    It gets more play time than my partscaster that cost me about 3x as much.

17. Logik

Logik TDPRI Member

I have a Bacchus BTE-1R, a Japanese brand, that I like. Cost $130 and punches above its weight.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The Island of Misfit Guitars is where I hang out. That includes cheap new buys, 'broken' used guitars, kits and partscasters.

This is a just a few of them.

guitarsmix.png

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have many inexpensive guitars which I am very happy with.

Out of seventysomething, which include Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, PRS, Framus, etc, my #1 and #2 were both less than $300

20. Spats Davenport

Spats Davenport TDPRI Member

CVC Tele and CV 60s Strat in BM. Both outstanding guitars which I have happily gigged.

I also have a Gretsch Americana with some western images. Great fun and €100.

Billy3 and Fendereedo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.