Anyone had their Vintage Amp repaired by Skip Simmons?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AxemanVR, Feb 20, 2017.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

FYI, just found this during a web search:

Casey Gooby website.JPG

2. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

skip is down the road from me... sometime i plan on getting an old 1482 off to him as well as my beloved h&h ic100 combo...

to the OP, i d look closer to home as well... seems like you have a few options...

good luck

AxemanVR likes this.
  3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

If I was in Minnesota, I'd go to Savage Audio.

AxemanVR likes this.
  4. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Good luck with your search but if you decide to send it to either Skip or Fargen Amps, you will not regret it.

AxemanVR likes this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

If you read many repair threads on TDPRI, it's smart to find a tech you can trust. A national guru is one way. Local research is excellent for reasons @MilwMark mentions. If you live in Frostbite Falls like @BobbyZ, you gotta either solder or schlep. (s'OK Bobby, I grew up in the upper Midwest -- I can relate to block heaters and ice-fishing shacks left out on the lake a day too long...)

But way too many threads here go like this: "I took my amp to a tech and now it sounds bad and all the shiny blue caps turned orange."

OTOH, that nice prose poem by our friend @CoolBlueGlow made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.... :D

BobbyZ and AxemanVR like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're in the northern California area, or are for some reason willing to ship your chassis there, I can recommend Mike Pascale of http://VintageFenderAmpRepair.com without hesitation. He's in Santa Rosa, CA.

He's done some good work for me. I trust him to retain the vintage tonal character of my amps, to be honest in all dealings, and to follow through with what he said he'd do. Good guy.

AxemanVR likes this.
  7. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

If you do go the shipping route check Billy Penn 300 guitars he's in New Jersey absolutely top shelf repairs of all vintage Fenders. he is easy to get a hold of and talk with ,one of the most knowledgeable guys I ever had the pleasure to meet he does it all! Builds amps,guitars and is also an incredible player and great guy

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    AxemanVR likes this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Some years ago sent a old se6L6 recordplayer conversion into Skip to work his magic, he did a slight voicing mod, changed out some filters and it came back a monster and will hold its own to an old tweed Princeton :)

AxemanVR likes this.
  9. AxemanVR

`
    Well, I've decided to go with Todd at Dave's Guitar...

Skip never called me back, Casey didn't answer his phone and the local guy just rubs me the wrong way.

I figured that Dave wouldn't keep some hack on his staff for over 14 years, so he must be good, and I just liked his personality over the phone...

I'll let you know how it all works out and thanks everyone for all your help!

`

BlueCajun likes this.
  10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh boy, he's no hack. A noble gentleman and an able technician. I would be very surprised if things are not to the best they could be. I support your choice.

magic smoke and AxemanVR like this.
  11. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Post deleted

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    AxemanVR likes this.
  12. AxemanVR

'
    Well, good news! (I hope)...

Todd (at Dave's Guitar) said the problem was simply a shorted speaker output jack (bad solder joint).

I was SO sure it was the output transformer (ka-chinge!!$!$!).

Whew!

He says everything else looks to be in fantastic shape (especially considering its age) and he even suggested NOT to change anything at this time - even the original filter caps!

He did advise me to keep an eye on things (like tubes turning red hot) but, since I told him that I'm not interested in pushing it too hard, he thinks I should be able to catch any serious problems before they get out of hand.

He did say the tubes were biased very cold, so he got them up to a more proper level and assured me that the amp sounds sweeet.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get it until Friday.

Anyway, bottom line: He's only charging me $52 for the entire service! And that includes a new Switchcraft jack!

I find myself feeling both completely confident and a little like it's perhaps too good to be true.

I guess I'll find out for myself on Friday whether it was a totally successful outcome and I am certainly anxious and excited to hear it again!

Stay tuned...

'

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    BlueCajun and wrathfuldeity like this.
  13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That's cheap ! I don't like leaving old electrolytics in a as a general rule but at home if a guy knows what he's doing it's probably ok.

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's fantastic news and a great price. Wish I lived closer to Dave's.

15. AxemanVR

`
    Well, I suppose the proof is in the pudding, so I'll let you decide...

Here is my first test recording using the SB-12:

Three tracks:
    1) Rhythm Guitar 1 - Full Strumming - Panned Left
    2) Rhythm Guitar 2 - Single Strums - Panned Right
    3) Solo Guitar - Center

Signal Chain:
    2003FenderAVRI52TeleN+B> 1965AmpegSB12PortaflexAmp> ShureSM57Mic> ArtTubeMPStudio#1> BehringerMDX200Compressor> DBX1531XEQ> YamahaREV500Reverb> ArtTubeMPStudio#2> ZOOMR24AudioInterface> MacBookPro2015> ReaperDAW.

`

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds good ! So it's a 65 Ampeg Portaflex? I love old Ampegs !
    Just keep an eye on it, like the tech said, for anything wonky.

AxemanVR likes this.
  17. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Davis's is a top notch shop too. It is good he is far enough away from the twin cities or I would be there every weekend. It is tough enough with all the great guitar shops we have in the cities as it is. I went to the musician's trade show in Eagan MN today and had a great time visiting with old friends. luckily I got out of there with my wallet intact. There was a late 70's Super Reverb there for $650.00 and I was sorely tempted.
    thanks John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.