Anyone go direct, without amps?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by bendecaster, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mpearce

mpearce Tele-Meister

I do a weekly gig and started going amp-less a few months ago. I started with a Zoom G3 which I may continue using, but just last week tried a Fender Mustang Floor. I'm still not sure which one will by my main *amp*.

All I do on either device is use and Fender Amp model with a bit of gain and reverb. I don't use all of those other fancy effects.

They are much lighter than carrying an amp. :)

-Mike

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I did this in the very early 90's. Played with a top 40 country band. We ran everything direct. Digitech had just released the RP1 floor processor, and all three guitarists used one. Bass player had some kind of active DI, don't remember what it was. Keys direct.

Clubs loved it, very easy for the FOH guy to mix with no stage volume. I never liked it. Never could get used to hearing all the guitars coming in front of me instead of behind me. Just too weird.

These were the days long before IEM systems. I've now tried the IEM thing, and don't like that either. I don't care how good it sounds, or how good the mix is, I can't sing with that crap in my ear. Anything in or over my ear makes me sing flat. I've noticed almost without fail that it does the same thing to a lot of other people. They don't notice it, but I sure do. Stuffing crap in your ears is not a good way to stay on pitch. I know a whole lot of folks who think it works really well, but they don't have to listen to themselves out front.

Amp and wedges for me, thank you.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

But if you didn't sing?

4. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

I go direct when I play at church services or church events. The sound man always wants nearly non-existent stage volumes. I run guitar->pedalboard with all my regular pedals->Behringer gdi21 direct box/amp modeler->mixer.

Works ok for church. I'd probably never play out like that though, unless the monitors were CRANKED to get the full amp feel. I like my orange amp through 4x12s too much.

5. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Guitar- Pedal Board- POD XT

6. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

Did it for years at my old church.

7. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

I own a pod xt live and I use it to record with, I also use the digitech GSP1101
    I use good studio monitors, that are powered. Recording direct yields very good results.
    I am adding a radial splitter so that I can layer and or pan left and pan right
    different complimentry sounds When using the GSP I started using a distortion
    that allowed the original signal and the effected signal to be layered.

8. Beakertwang

Beakertwang TDPRI Member

I don't use an amp at church--sort of. I have a Tech 21 Trademark 10, but I dummy plug the speaker out to disable the speaker, and go direct via XLR. I love it!

9. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

I just got a 2nd generation POD and floorboard like the one I had 14 years ago.
    Occasionally, it's handy to have a DI setup. I've been using it at rehearsals this week,going between the Deluxe and the Matchless settings. It'll never replace my Dr.Z...but it'll do in a pinch!!
    Some of the bands that hire me,go direct,so it's advantageous to have that setup for such gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.