1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone go 12AY7 in V1 of their Pro Junior???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Oct 11, 2016.

1. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I agree that old tubes don't always (or even generally) sound better than new production tubes. They do tend to last longer, so you can decide if paying a lot up front for a tube that will not need to be replaced soon is worth the initial expense.

I try to use new tubes most of the time with the exception of most rectifiers.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

People searching for clean headroom, give SS amps a chance. Clean, loud, simple, and cheap.
    I mean why spend all the effort trying to postpone or defeat what tubes do?

Pcaluaru likes this.
  3. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I've been running a 12AY7 in V2 of my 70 Twin Reverb for years....Not so much because of headroom, but as a way to develop a more useful sweep on the volume pot. I've never tried a 12AT7 because I've heard that they're unsuitable for V1 and V2, but I have tried a 12AU7. I found 12AU7 killed too much of the gain and didn't sound particularly good either. 12AY7 is definitely a winner though.

4. TickleMyTele

TickleMyTele Tele-Meister

I don't doubt that new tubes can sound every bit as good as old tubes- "good" sound is subjective, after all :)
    However, the vintage GE JG-5751 I stuck in V1 of my PJ sounds heavenly,
    and whether that is because it is a USA-made tube, a vintage tube,
    or simply because it's a 5751, I couldn't tell you. I just know that it sounds great,
    better than anything else I've had in V1, and thus I recommend it :)
    Definitely worth a try, considering I see them all over eBay, testing high, at around $15-$20 a pop.
    I paid less for the five I own than I've paid for new production tubes, tested and matched.
    GE NOS Tubes 2 - Edit crop 1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  5. Opaltone

Opaltone Tele-Holic

You have no experience testing your idea out in the real world, do you? You don't have to reply, the answer is transparent. But you do make a good case for the subjectivity argument! It is perfectly fine to be subjective, BTW.

If you wonder where a flaw may creep into your reasoning, here's a clue... Audio circuits are dynamic by nature, so measurements of static parameters will not fully characterize the circuit's dynamic behavior.

- T

6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I don't know how we could quantify tone with an measuring device like a 'scope or SPL meter. Only ears, which are unfortunately subject to all of our human predispositions, perceptions, and expectations. I've endeavored to express my opinion while also respect yours' and other NOS tube rollers (and I'm one of them too). I think that much is transparent.

I'm not sure how to take your real world experience remark. I could go out to my garage and take some pictures of my NOS tube collection. I could refer to the the 12+ amps I've built from scratch that are gigged by various local dive bands (like mine). Or the many dozens I've repaired or modded. Or the backlog of work I have performing such services.

When I've got a musician in my garage auditioning amps, we try all kinds of tubes. They listen to tone. They take the amp home. I listen to their comments make mods as requested until they are happy. They choose the glass.

BTW, I've never charged anyone a cent. Sometimes they throw me some cash. Sometimes they buy the iron. Most can't afford it. I build because I can, and I like the learning journey. I like seeing my amps out in the wild, and I like hearing peoples' experiences and opinions. It's part of the data I process to nudge my subjectivity towards objectivity.

Oh, and I've tried dozens of tubes, swapped the OT, speaker, and modded the operating points of all of the tubes in a Pro Jr.<---my original motivation for replying.

(Does this count as real world experience?)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I've replaced the 12ax7 in V1 with a 12ay7 in 3 of more 4 amps over the last several years and, for what I play (jazz/blues/some classic rock) they've made the amps much more useful. I find a 12ay7 particularly good in small, champ-style amps. These amps can be one-trick-ponies (a good trick, granted, but it can limit their application), but a 12ay7 makes them much more versatile and, to my ears, really improves their tone.

8. akadaa1

akadaa1 TDPRI Member

I upgraded all the tubes in mine to EHX tubes and replaced the VI with a 12AY7 and love the change. Much better tone though the upper volume level does get a little bassy for me but I use it as a bedroom amp and I love the lower volumes tones that I get now.

9. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Just can't use a 12ay7... great for gain channels (Fender type amps) really rounds the curves so to speak.. but then IMO you loose that classical Fender crisp clean... again because the curves get rounded... Totally see why guys into jazz looking to get that woolly humbucker classic sound would use them though....

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Interesting.

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I just tried a 1959 GE 12AY7 in my DRRI. I found that I really liked it with slightly hotter pickups. Say, humbuckers or even P-90's. But it sounded flat with my vintage-spec'd traditional single-coil tele pickups. So I preferred it with my Dot with P-90-type pickups (Tonerider Rebel 90's), but not with the tele (Seymour Duncan Antiquities in neck and bridge). To get the tele to sound the way I'd like it to sound, I'd probably have to use a boost pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.