Anyone give up a high-paying, high-stress job for a significant pay cut?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrGnosis, Dec 8, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

took the last money i had in 2012 and formed a Corporation and ran calls 24 hrs a day..pay my workers very good and it pays off as we slowly have become the go to company with the best rates and fastest eta in our area..now depending on how things go..have come off the road this last 2 months and just dispatch..1 to 2 years probably selling and retiring, already have the offer..just cant let go yet...soon as wife is better..going full tilt band(made 50 k on that goofing around 2 years ago) then the accident..none of its for the money for me now..its for being a top rated service co with well paid workers and then the money follows naturally..have not had a day off from the phones since 2012 bit it has been worth it as goals have been met and if it wasn't for this co we would of went under due to the medical with wife being hurt twice due to negligence..

john_t likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You know while I'm on the subject of retirement, there's hardly anything that you want that you actually need. I mean just as an example, sure you'd like to have a custom shop Tele, but a good Mexican or even a used American Standard or equivalent would play all of the music most of us could muster. In fact, whatever we have sitting around is probably more than sufficient. Would a new car get you anywhere any faster than the one you have?

Last night, I got tired of meandering along behind a slow mover in front of me on the way to Glennville, I found a place in the broken yellow, and made my move, passed 'em like they were sitting still. Then when I got to Glennville, the car I passed was parking in the spot next to me before I could get to the steps of the church! Most things are like that, the effort of doing something different usually ain't worth much.

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Got that right, TD. It takes a while to get good at retirement, just like anything else.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've read that if you want to retire early (ie live off your savings indefinitely) you should have saved 25 times your annual living expenses. Now some may come up with a different multiplier, but the idea is to look before you leap.

I'm a long way from leaping :(

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I've twice walked away from senior management positions with a big salary and excellent benefits, in organisations where the decision to leave is essentially final. Always miss the pay and the money. Always missed (most of) the people. Never, never, never miss the office antics.

Now I'm running my own business. I'll know whether it was financially worth it in another 18 months or so. But on the other side of the ledger, I no longer jolt awake at 0300 with a racing heart and a mind burning up from work issues.

Sure, make a spreadsheet with your income and earnings. But there comes a point where you have to listen to your heart.

Tomorrow isn't promised. My last senior boss held out for the big bucks, retired late, moved to the coast with a head full of dreams and then died within a year. None of us is getting any younger.

tvvoodoo and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Depends how early you're planning to retire, and what rate of return you project for your savings, no? That sounds a bit high... Also, don't forget that (in the US) Social Security kicks in eventually. I'm sure something similar in CA. It's not a lot, but it's nothing to sneeze at, either. Covers most of the basics, especially if you mostly own your home by then.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I guess I've done that, make less than half working for the state then I did in the oil fields and working in Alaska before that. But I normally only work 40 hour weeks now too.
    Is there less stress? Well the work is simple enough, but the BS that comes down from St. Paul and the shear stupidity and laziness of some of my coworkers is enough to drive you nuts. :)

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.