Anyone give up a high-paying, high-stress job for a significant pay cut?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrGnosis, Dec 8, 2018.

1. DrGnosis

DrGnosis TDPRI Member

Hello fellow TDPRIs...

Just curious about the experiences of anyone who has been through this. In May I started a new job that paid really well, has great benefits, etc. But I didn't appreciate the pressure, stress, and time commitment that would come with it.

I have a great wife and two awesome young boys (and a band), and I'm sick of having to give up time with them from working my ass off. I found a new job that pays a decent amount less and will make family finances a bit more tight, but I just don't think the higher pay is worth it. I'm 40 and don't want a heart attack from stress anytime soon.

Just curious about anybody else's stories who have gone through this or know someone who has.

Thanks and peace ✌️

stinkey likes this.
  2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did when I was in my mid-30s (1986) and never recovered financially. It did enable me to spent plenty of time with my three kids, who were 5 and under then, each of whom is a happy adult now.

My leap financially was from a good salary to self-employment, and it took many years for my income to reach where it had been. There were some very lean years.

Looking back, I probably should have continued looking for a lower stress job with a good, if smaller, salary that would not have required ridiculous hours, before I made the leap. Maybe that's what you did.

3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yep. I worked in banking from right out of college and into my 30's. I worked in Los Angeles. High stress job working with Fed regulators all around. Always was tight in the chest and fatigued because of poor sleep. I didn't own a pair of jeans. I would stay in my suit until time for bed. Made a very good salary. Finally I quit, got lucky and found a job on a sports yacht. Happy as heck living on the ocean and fishing and eventually making almost the same money after 15 years. Retired from that in my late 40s.

DrGnosis likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped working all together for a few years and lived off my savings. It was great until the money ran out and I had to start over again.

Toto'sDad, nvilletele and Ira7 like this.
  5. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I did, but it was volunteering for a layoff which would have hit me anyway. Now either unemployed or retired. . . . .

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

This is how I've lived my life. I'm 62 and about to get my first SS check/payment.

Unless you really love your job or you're making big bucks...

Not working beats working every time, and one should never feel guilty about it as long as you're still supporting yourself and family.

Life is too short, and F***ing off for extended periods of time helps you live longer.

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I reyired from a 25 yr stint in a high paying government job in managment, the stress levels were 15 out of 10 , with full pension and my 25 year watch
    I now work at a fast pace, High volume grocery store for minimum wages, and I love the work and the people, And most of all Zero, I said Zero stress.
    I get by quite well

I went back for a quick visit to my old office and all of my peers aged 10 years, people looked burnt, tired , exhausted, I had to leave

Matt G, dented and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

True, there's also no guarantee we will all reach retirement age. It would be a real waste to have worked a high stress job your whole life and never experience the joy of just living and doing whatever you felt like every day for a good length of time.

stinkey and 24 track like this.
  9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I can give you some odds if you'd like :)

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I actually knew some one who had a high stress job , hung in for the count , retired with all the plans to travel and died 8 months later, now thats a pisser

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Let’s just say, I’m not working, by choice

Alamo, Tonetele and Chunkocaster like this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Friend of ours went from exec it job to driving city bus. Loves it

DrGnosis and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

I'd rather not take the gamble. I have had a good few years of retirement already before 50yo. I'll just scale down when the real retirement kicks in. I'm self employed and have worked my own hours and terms for over 20 years now anyway.

D_W_PGH and 24 track like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I considered it at one time, but generally glad I didn't. But it all depends on the differences of pay, your needs and what's important. Maybe it's not necessary to go down too far to get some time and stress relief?
    The thing is, people at lower levels get stressed too, and being the boss gives you flexibility you may not have at lower levels. Without that, will you still be stressed and short on family time?
    Every situation has so many variables it's hard for anyone to say for you really.
    35-50 YO are probably the biggest career growth opportunities you will have...

MilwMark likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

It's quite common for hard workers to fall ill or die within a few years of retiring. My first boss couldn't walk for his first year of retirement due to the radical lifestyle change. His body started failing him almost immediately after working physically hard for his whole life. It's a big change after having worked set hours and having lived a certain lifestyle for most of your life. The other thing to consider is that by retirement age we might not be up for some of the things we would have liked to do when we were younger.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Matt G likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

High pay, high stress, and alcohol and other dependencies go hand in hand. Be thankful every day that you bailed. Your family will never know the hell you may very well have saved them from.

DrGnosis likes this.
  17. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

It's all relative. The "high-paying" job that I left probably paid less than what many people would consider to be their bare minimum subsistence level.

On the other hand, I'm now getting paid for what I volunteered to do then, so you could call that an infinite increase in pay :D

Chunkocaster and nojazzhere like this.
  18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I gave up commuting to the city after 15 or so years, the job wasn’t particularly stressful but the long commute with multiple connections was. Went into teaching for a decade & then gave that up when it changed into something I no longer enjoyed. I havd a vintage instrument shop for a few years and now sell various collectibles at shows, and gig a bit. With a bit of care and bargain hunting you can do it..

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My father worked HARD all his life, but after several rounds of heart attacks and cancer, he was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas. He filed for Social Security Disability. Before he passed, he received ONE SS check.....after something like forty-four years of paying into
    SS. So, if you can afford to, I say retire, enjoy your time, and get off the hamster wheel. I retired a little over a year ago at age 65 (two years BEFORE full benefits) and I LOVE it! I'm actually busier than when I worked, but it's all on MY TERMS.
    I would question whether retiring would lead to an early death. The factors you mention could happen if working or retired. At any rate, I would hope anyone would do what they enjoy and can afford to do....;)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I walked away from perhaps the most lucrative, major company to ever work for in my field after 8 years and a management position to a consulting firm with more variety of engineering projects and no corporate politics. One of the best decisions I ever made. I never really considered salary level as an incentive though. More important is enjoying what you are doing.

Greggorios, telemnemonics and drlucky like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.